It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2006, 12:22 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User
Breastfeeding Question- Any info please

Ok, this is my first pg, due in May 06 and up until a few days ago, I had not planned on breastfeeding. After speaking with my doctor about all of the numerous benefits to the baby with breastfeeding, I'm going to do it (or at least try to). My mother breastfed me but that was 30 years ago, so she's really old-school. I have numerous questions:

1.) From birth, are you able to breastfeed and pump and bottlefeed your baby? We want my dh to be involved as much as possible so if he can bottlefeed at night, that would be great.

2.) Anyone use those electric pumps? Are they easy to use and easy on the breasts? Or should you just buy a manual one?

3.) How many times a day do you have to feed the baby if you are breastfeeding?

4.) Is there a certain length of recommended time you should breastfeed? Do you stop after returning to work in 6 weeks? Or do you feed until 6 months or 1 year?

5.) Is it painful? My sister had twins and she didn't make it past the first day, saying it hurt too much. I'm kind of a wimp but I really want to try this.

6.) Does your breast leak a lot if you forget a feeding??

ANY info you guys can give me is appreciated! Thanks so much.

Pooh

Old 02-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Spanish HB User
Re: Breastfeeding Question- Any info please

Hello Myloathe!

My DD is now 6 months old and I am still breast feeding her. I'll do my best to answer you questions from my own experience and what I've learnt from others.

1. It's not recommended to introduce both bottle and breast from birth as baby needs to suck differently and this can result in nipple confusion. Wait until breast feeding is well established before you offer a bottle. But, don't wait too long because otherwise your baby may never take a bottle. I belive 5 -6 weeks is the ideal time. I breastfed exclusively for 6 weeks and we introduced a bottle of expressed milk then and she took it no problem at all.

2. I have an electric pump and it is great. Manual ones can be quite slow and very hard work. Electric and more expensive but personally I think it is worth it. You can hire electric pumps from various places like hospitals or breastfeeding support groups.

3. It depends on you baby. It will be slightly more often than formula fed babies because breast milk is much more easily digested. Don't let this put you off though, it might only be one or two extra feedings in a 24 hours period. I think in the beginning my DD would go 2 - 3 hours between feedings day time and 4 - 5 hours at night.

4. The World Health Organisation recommends breast feeding up to 2 years of age but not many babies in the West get that. I've read that in the UK only about 25% of babies are still breastfed at 6 months of age. Anything you can manage will benefit your baby, even if it's only a few days.

5. No it's not painful! If it is then you are doing something wrong. If it hurts then get someone, doctor / health visitor etc, to check your babies latch. I think that if your baby has got a very strong suck then your nipples can get a bit sore but you can get shields to protect them whilst you feed.

6. Oh yes! Get some really good breast pads. The Lansinoh ones are excellent. They will soak up any leaks and won't be noticeable under your clothes.

Good luck. Breast feeding is great if you can manage it, but some mothers or babies just don't get the hang of it (strangely babies have to learn how to feed!) so don't beat yourself up if you don't manage. Remember anything you give will be good, even if it's only a few days.

Spanish

Last edited by Spanish; 02-12-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

I don't have any experience with this yet, this is my first pregnancy, but here's what I've read/been told.....

1.) From birth, are you able to breastfeed and pump and bottlefeed your baby? We want my dh to be involved as much as possible so if he can bottlefeed at night, that would be great.

Like Spanish said, it's generally recommended that if you're going to breastfeed, you should do it exclusively at first. A friend of mine with four children said to wait at least four weeks until you try to introduce any bottles. They do make nipples for bottles now that try to mimic the breast (the bottle nipple will rest at the top of the baby's mouth like your nipple will if the baby is properly latched), I'd recommend those.

2.) Anyone use those electric pumps? Are they easy to use and easy on the breasts? Or should you just buy a manual one?

I've heard that the electric ones are much easier....I know some people that had NO success with the manual ones, but the milk flowed with the electric ones. If you can't afford to buy one, again like Spanish said, there are places that will rent them.

I think that mostly depends on how hungry the baby is. I've read that at first, you can expect to be feeding every three to four hours, but my guess is that it varies with each baby.

4.) Is there a certain length of recommended time you should breastfeed? Do you stop after returning to work in 6 weeks? Or do you feed until 6 months or 1 year?

The recommended time is at least the first six months, or longer. You can continue to breastfeed after you return to work....you can always pump enough for your baby's care provider while you're at work, and then give them the boob when you come home A lot of doctors will also just say that you should breastfeed for as long as both you and the baby want to continue.

5.) Is it painful? My sister had twins and she didn't make it past the first day, saying it hurt too much. I'm kind of a wimp but I really want to try this.

The first few days are probably painful, while you're still getting the hang of it, but it should get easier with time. They also make nipple shields to make it less painful, you might consider looking into those.

They'll probably leak a little even if you don't forget a feeding!! That's why pumps are highly recommended, because some mothers produce so much milk that they have no choice to pump a lot of it, otherwise, they'd have a baby at their breast constantly!!

Old 02-13-2006, 07:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jordyn HB User

Here are some tips for you as it looks like pumping is something your are definately considering...first some background. My ds was born in stress and never was able to suck. I pumped exclussively for 7.5 months...initially because I thought he's latch eventually, after that because I felt it was best and even after buying a good electric pump, it was still cheaper than formula.
It can and likely will hurt, even if you do it properly and even if you are just pumping and not breastfeeding. Your nipples need to get used to the idea of the pressure and process of feeding. Buy some lanolin cream/ointment...it's a lifesaver.
I would breastfeed (or feed breast milk) as long as you can. It is best for the baby, cheaper than formula and can be fed more easily than having to mix formula. Remember that if you bottle feed breast milk it can not be heated in the microwave.
Leaking is a pain and will occur to anyone/everyone at sometime. You will need to wear a bra all the time (day and night) for awhile as you will leak in your sleep/early morning and you will also need the support of a bra.
Electric pumps, good ones anyway, are the best if you can afford them. Manuals take longer, are hard to manipulate to mimicing a baby's suckle and often require more cleaning. I had an electric that allowed me to completely drain both breasts in 10-15 minutes.
Hope this is helpful. Keep in mind that it will be hard at the start, that you may not have much or any milk for up to a week. Don't introduce a bottle in that time, even if your baby is miserable and the hospital suggests it. Stick with it, feed often and your milk will come in just fine. Drink LOTS of fluids, especially water. If you fear you don't have enough milk there are herbs you can take such as fennelgreek.

Old 02-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

1.) I was forced to supplement formula after my DS was only 4 days old because he wasn't gaining weight. I was freaked out about it becuase of nipple confusion, but my pediatrician assured me that a baby will drink from any nipple that has milk in it. He was right and we started expressing milk from that day forward. It has been a life savor, especially since we're out in public a lot and I don't want to breastfeed in public.

2.) I just started using the electric pump last night. I have a handheld Medela that's not manual, but it's a single electric. It's very loud and a bit painful. The medela big one (can't remember the name) is super quiet and not painful at all. However, I feel that my handheld one expresses much faster. But, that's probably why it hurts so dang much. It's super powerful.

3.) In the beginning, it's 8 times in a 24 hour period. It's the same if you're bottle feeding too.

4.) It's recommened that you breastfeed for a year, but that's not possible in most scenarios. I personally think that the first month is most crucial. But that's just me!

5.) It's painful for about 2 weeks, so worth it. Hang in there no matter what. It's so easy to throw the towel in, but it's one of the most rewarding sacrifices I have ever made.

6.) Um yes! And it hurts pretty badly. They get engorged (for me)

Old 02-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
(female)

walnutsmom HB User

Breastfeeding was really hard for my ds and I to "get the hang of". It was a bit painful, he wouldn't latch, he fell asleep minutes into feedings. With a combination of numerous meetings with lactation consultants and lots of pumping we were able to establish a rhythm by the one-month mark. And I continued to breastfeed exclusively for 8 months and had to wean at that point for work/travel reasons. He was so healthy that first year and I know breastfeeding had a lot to do with it.

The first two weeks are the toughest. Please remember that it could be a snap (less likely) or you might have to work at it like it's the toughest sport you've ever tried to learn. I think one month is a reasonable goal for you. Just try to make it to that--it helps if your husband and family are really supportive. And if you have to supplement with formula that's okay. But give it more than a day--and you won't have twins so it won't be nearly as challenging.

PS--the ideal recommendation for pumping and using a bottle is to wait until 5 or 6 weeks before introducing the bottle. Then, you might want to stick with just one bottle a day and at the same time. Otherwise, baby might show a preference for the bottle and start turning away from your breast. And while you can certainly pump and feed with the bottle exclusively, it is a pain in the butt. Pumping is a life saver, but it sucks. Literally.

Good luck!

Old 02-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i think lots of people including health care professionals forget that it is normal for bf babies to gain weight slower than bottle fed ones, this is not a bad thing it is only if the baby is dehydrated you need worry your health visitor/ doc will spot this quickly anyway.

i have brought a hand pump to use and plan to start pumping around 6 weeks which i believe is current recommendations so that your breasts have learnt to know how much milk to make to meet the demands of your baby. in the uk they recommend you feed on demand which in the beginning can feel like it is all the time! but what a great way to bong with your child knowing you are giving them the best start ever, and increasing their immune system.

my dh came to see hte midwife with me near the beginning of my pg and he is so keen for me to bf he calls them my baby's food bags lol. he does not mind he cannot bottle feed at least not ill i start expressing he is keen to be a parent in all the other ways he can.

i plan to bf exclusively till ds is 4 months then i hope to start weaning so he is on less milk by the time i go back to work but this may not work out anyway i will bf for as long as i can.

Old 02-13-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

My son is not a typical "slow to weight gain" breastfed baby. At his 6 week apointment last week he weighted 11 pounds!! LOL We were worried about his weight in the beginning (he didn't regain birthweight quickly) but there is not problems now. He is a healthy eater!!

Old 02-15-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommie-2-B
My son is not a typical "slow to weight gain" breastfed baby. At his 6 week apointment last week he weighted 11 pounds!! LOL We were worried about his weight in the beginning (he didn't regain birthweight quickly) but there is not problems now. He is a healthy eater!!
Sounds like my nephew!! My sister in law breastfed him exclusively for the longest time, and I always thought she was feeding him just a little too often, because he turned into a real porker for awhile...like, he looked like a baby sumo wrestler or something. But now I don't think she's feeding him enough....they'll come over to visit us and she doesn't feed him anything until he starts whining!!! I know this is her first baby and all, but he'll be two this summer (she's no longer bf, by the way), so you would think that she'd gotten the hang of this parenting things by now....but she really concerns a lot of us in the family. *sigh* hopefully, once my baby is born, I can lead by example.

Old 02-15-2006, 11:36 PM   #10
(female)

sevans929 HB User

This is my first pregnancy, and I've (obviously) never breastfed before, but I've been doing a lot of reading about it, so I'll see if I can help answer your questions based on what I've researched:

*Most experts agree that if you are trying to establish breastfeeding, you should feed the baby exclusively from your breast for the first 4-6 weeks. Breastfeeding is a learned activity for most babies and newborns can only learn one thing at a time. So, give your little one a good amount of time to get the hang of breastfeeding before introducing a bottle, that way he/she won't end up rejecting your breast or the bottle.

I'm having twins, so I went for the electric double pump from Medela (called Pump in Style) which I'll be using once I return to work. From what I know, it might take a bit of practice to get used to it, but once you do, it's like second nature. Manual pumps work well too, but if you're going to be pumping a lot (more than 50% of the baby's feedings) an electric pump might be worth the extra $$.

*Most babies feed between 8-12 times per day.

*This is different for everyone. Most people would say to breastfeed at least for the first 6 months, but I also know others who breastfed up to 1 year without any problems. It's really up to you and your baby.

*For your first time breastfeeding, it may be uncomfortable or even painful until you and the baby get the hang of it and establish a routine. As long as the baby has a good latch, it shouldn't hurt, but your nipples can become sore, dry or cracked until your body gets used to it. Using 100% pure lanolin (found in the baby section) can help if you apply it to your nipples after each feeding.

*Breasts can leak at any time, whether you forget a feeding or not. When you're feeding from one breast, the other one may leak a bit. Or even when you hear your baby cry or think of your baby, you may leak. Best to use absorbent nipple pads at all times just in case.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

myloathe HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. Breastfeeding does sound like a lot, but nothing is too much for your little one.

I'm going to try it, and hopefully I'm able to keep it up. I will try to introduce the bottle as soon as possible, provided my baby is comfortable with it. Guess I'll have to go out and start researching some of these electric pumps.

Anyone know of any ones that they recommend???

How about this.... My dh had a doc appt today and our doc is telling him about all of the benefits of breastfeeding. He comes home and enthusiastically tells me about all of these, then he tells me that the doc said I should probably start SANDPAPERING or using a loofah on my nipples to build up the texture before the baby comes. I was finished talking to him about this subject right then and there:-)

Anyone ever heard of such a thing??? Now that sounds painful!!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:24 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mommie-2-B HB User

Myloathe, sandpapering sounds like torture. I have never heard of such a thing and I wouldn't recommend it whatsoever. What kind of doctor did your DH go see?? How weird! I did nothing to prepare my nipples, they got pretty tough after about two weeks. Sandpaper...how bizarre!

Old 02-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

soon2bmommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by myloathe
He comes home and enthusiastically tells me about all of these, then he tells me that the doc said I should probably start SANDPAPERING or using a loofah on my nipples to build up the texture before the baby comes. I was finished talking to him about this subject right then and there:-)

Anyone ever heard of such a thing??? Now that sounds painful!!
My step mom told me that her dr told her to use a dry washcloth and rub them with it. My mother was told to use a towel. I asked my dr. who said it wasn't necesary so I guess all dr's have different opinions on whether or not it's needed. I haven't done anything like that and am now wondering if maybe I should have? But sandpaper?!?! OUCH!

Old 02-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

someone i work with prepared by putting on nipple cream daily for her last 5 weeks, but most people do nothing as long as baby latches on properly i did not think there would be any problem

Old 02-16-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
(female)

rounsy222 HB User

At our babyclass we had a night just on breastfeeding, we learned alot and since I have done this before just 11 years ago I thought I wouldnt. I would suggest taking a class or talk to someone in the leche league. Also in most hospitals they will have someone come help you, they say the reason it hurts so bad is because the baby isnt properly attached to the nipple and just finding the right way to do it can save alot of pain and suffering. They said alot of women suffer when they dont have to and if a women leaves the hospital with cracked bloody nipples then they didnt do their job properly. I know with my daughter I never had cracked or bloody nipples and I did alot of reading and got help from a nurse friend on staff. Now days they have so much more info on it and help.
Oh and the sandpaper thing maybe it was a joke and your hubby took him seriously, I cant even emagine. LOL
Meg

Closed Thread