It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 03:33 AM   #1
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User
Question Antibiotics and breastfeeding?????????

On Friday I have to have 22 teeth extracted. I am almost possitive that I am going to need an antbiotic before this can happen. However my question is which ones are safe to take while breastfeeding. I am still nursing my 8 month old daughter. She is my fifth and final child and I do not want to stop nursing, just because I am to dumb to take care of my teeth.I am aware I will have to pump while on pain pills for 2 days. But I do not think I can pump any longer then that(not enough milk left in my poor boobs).Any suggestion would be great!

Old 05-01-2006, 05:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User
Re: Antibiotics and breastfeeding?????????

There are lots that are safe while breastfeeding. Amoxicillin, Erythromycin, Penicillin, Cefzil. It would help if you knew exactly which antibiotic you need to take. There are also lots of pain meds that are safe while breastfeeding also. Again, it would help to know which one is prescribed to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
(female)

lilmama5of6 HB User

I am not sure what they will give me yet,I was just wanting to know which ones are safe before I went to the dentist. That way I would know just in case they did not.I know they have to know about the medicine they give out.I guess I am being over worried about the whole thing(teeth extraction). I still can not believe I have never had to take any medicine while nursing...I feel like I have been doing it forever.Thank you for the info on pain pills I assumed I could not nurse while taking them.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

You can have them check with the pediatrician if they are not sure. The antibiotics and pain meds go from categories L1 (safest) to L5 (not safe). For pain meds Acetaminophen and Ibruprofin would be the safest. Hydrocodone, codeine, and Oxycodone are all L3 (moderately safe). And since your baby is a little older it is probably better. 22 teeth?? Wow. I feel for you.

Closed Thread