It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2006, 07:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User
breastfeeding, how long did it take you?

I have been breastfeeding for 6 weeks now, and have only lost 11 pounds and that was in the first week. I gained 24 all together but now the scale just won't move. I have been eating very healthy foods as well and I walk everyday. When did all of you lose the baby weight? Any advice as I wan't to get back into my old clothes soon!!!!!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Paet HB User
Re: breastfeeding, how long did it take you?

Hmm. I'm debating on whether or not to answer. I lost all mine and then some in a week, but I also had a c-section and double pneumonia. I gained 9 lbs during my pregnancy, so I really lost weight. I'm not a thin person, though. I'm sure if I was, I would have gained like everyone else. The breastfeeding did help tremendously, though. When I stopped, I gained 5 lbs. and now have to watch what I eat. You burn off 500 calories a day just from lactating!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

steph66 HB User

honestly it has taken me 3 1/2 months! but i also gained 50 pounds during my pregancy!! plus i have not exercised or anything so i am sure it would have came off sooner. i do eat healthy since i am breastfeeding but sadly moderation is not in my vocabulary! lol! i am back down to pre-pregnancy size now (120lbs). i noticed that it was not steady weight loss at all. it was a little here and a little there. once i reach 135 the scales seemed to all be stuck but within only 4-5 weeks i was down to 125 without trying or even thinking about it. i was perfectly happy being bigger so i was not even in a hurry to lose the weight until i stopped breastfeeding. i did notice though that when she would go through a growth spurt that i would drop around 5 pounds in a few days!lol! all that comfort nursing is good for something!lol! i would try not to worry about it. i know its easier said that done but honestly i did not think about it very often and even went out and bought some bigger clothing and was planning on selling most of my old prepregnancy clothes but now i am selling the bigger clothes and keeping my prepregnancy ones! it wont happen overnight for most people, too bad we cant all be like Paula! that would be nice and she is incredibly lucky with great genes! lol! congrats to both of you ladies for keeping your weight gain low! your weight will come off in no time! congrats on the baby and good luck!!

Last edited by steph66; 08-20-2006 at 12:14 PM.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

i gained 48 pounds a lot was water - long story i had lost all but 10 pounds by 2 months pp but fitted all my old clothes now at 5.5 pp i am back to my pre pg weight i just stopped eating crisps/potatoe chips - my weakness lol. it will go slowly stop worrying and i bet it just dis appears

Old 08-20-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

cad2 HB User

I can't wait to get back to my 115 pounds I hope it doesn't take that long. I notice that when my baby goes through a growth spurt I can't stop eating I eat like a mad woman and nothing seems to be enough. Hey weepyone what kinds of food are you eating are you eating lots of proteins and fruits and veggies. I read somewhere that if you are not eating enough that your body won't let go of any weight unless you increase calories while breast feeding. Anyone heard of this?

Old 08-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rouge HB User

I was 114 lbs and 5'6" when I got pregnant. Afterwards I got down to about 124lbs (which took over a year) and it has stuck there. I can't seem to get below this. I've been done BFing for 1 year now (my son is 3) so I can't use that anymore. I try and eat fairly healthy and try and watch my portion size but my body just want's to stay at this weight. I guess it's not bad as I was pretty underweight PP and now I am more normal (size 4 rather than a 0). I guess I just thought there would be a point where I reached my PP weight and I never did. We are starting to think about having another and I really hope I don't gain two sizes that I can't loose afterwards .

Old 08-21-2006, 01:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

weepyone HB User

hi cad i actually bf for 3 weeks -long story (everything seems to be a long story with me -lol) i am eating a halthy balance of all 5 food groups and now back to my pp weight.

Old 08-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

JenW67 HB User

Hi Cad,

You may not want to hear this but the rule of thumb is " 9 months to put it on, 9 months to take it off"

If you search this board, you will find many entries about this very thing. It is hard to lose the weight. If you are breastfeeding, your body will sometimes hold on to weight to feed your child.

Give yourself a break. If your baby is anything like my son was at 6 weeks, you are probably just trying to survive on next to no sleep.

The weight will come off when your body is ready to let it go, provided you are eating well.

Good luck,

Jen

Old 08-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

baby#2 HB User

Here's a story of the pregnancy weight NOT coming off! I was 110lbs when I met hubby, 125lbs at our wedding, 135lbs after the all inclusive honeymoon and 203lbs when in the hosptial giving birth. (Lotsa water!).
I dropped down to 154lbs after Caden was born and that was as low as I could get. No matter what I did. I didn't b/f him though.
With Tanner I gained 40lbs starting at 160lbs and at 4 weeks post preg. I was back to my pre-preg weight. I am b/f so I am disappointed that I have only dropped 2 lbs lower. Everyone keeps telling me how easy it is to lose weight when you b/f. I guess that's only if you don't constantly eat all day like I do!
I'm always hungry it seems. Oh well, at least I can pig out and I don't gain!! lol
Tanner is 4 months old in a week and weighs almost 20lbs now!!! I wish that weight was coming off ME and going onto him but sadly I am still 158lbs with no sign of anymore coming off.
Needless to say, in the Fall I am starting a workout program because by next summer I want to be in my old clothes from before I got married. Wish me luck...

Closed Thread