It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

almac HB User
breastfeeding vs formula

DS is now 3 weeks old and I've been strictly breastfeeding. I don't mind breastfeeding.. or I haven't minded.. he's now having days where he feeds small amounts at a time every half hour to hour. He's a very gasy baby so these small feedings make him even more gasy.. not fun ! But thats beside the point. When I'm out visiting (especially this time of year) its really frustrating having to feed him every hour. I have a breast pump (manual) but it's horrible. It takes me hours to get a 4oz bottle.

I would like to continue to breastfeed but I was wondering if it was okay to use formula on last minute occasions or just as a backup. I'm not fond of the idea of mixing the two but sometimes it would just make things easier for him and me.... and even other people at times (grandparents babysat twice and milk was running dry very quickly).

Old 12-27-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

*Stace* HB User
Re: breastfeeding vs formula

I wouldn't recommend supplementing. It can hurt your supply. The first six weeks are th hardest, especially since babies go through about three growth spurts in that time frame! Stick it out for another three weeks - I know it's exhausting, but you can do it! After that, if you still don't want to continue with the schedule, evaluate your needs and see what would work best.

And remember, pumping doesn't come easily. Your babe is a lot more effective at getting the milk out of you. I know it's frustrating when you want to give a bottle but don't have much in there to give. If you can have your baby nearby when you pump, or look at a picture of him, or just think about him, that can sometimes help tremendously.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2006, 12:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

almac HB User

Thanks for the replys.. I don't think I made myself very clear though.

I DO NOT want to give him formula for more reasons then I can list. I agree with both of you that it is much better to breastfeed and it is a lot easier... HOWEVER! Since the breastpump doesn't work very well for me sometimes I don't get enough... and I can't take him everywhere with me (although I would like to). I was just wondering if it was alright to give him formula if the baby sitter had run out of milk or if I needed to go somewhere in a rush and I didn't have time to pump.

I go back to university in a week so I'm going to need to be bottling a lot more milk... whether it comes from myself or a package.

Also...'dangerous' is a very serious word to use... formula has come a long way and is perfectly acceptable it just doesn't contain the antibodies that breastmilk has. After doing research I've learned it is perfectly fine to use formula on occasion. It just would have been nice to have more of an understanding of what I might encounter. (ex. breastmilk causes infants to poop more.. where formula regulates it a bit more... would a bottle of formula cause him to be constipated maybe?)

Last edited by almac; 12-27-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Old 12-28-2006, 06:38 AM   #4
(female)

frankiesmom HB User

I had to breathe several times before I posted after reading everyone's replies to this lady. Many generations have never been breast fed ( I wasn't and 'miraculously' I survived) and were formula raised and I myself have combined the two then switched to just formula. This is FOOD, people, not developing cells being injected into the baby's body. Exercising the brain is what develops it, not the food. It certainly supports it but honey if you want to supplement that baby's food supply, do it. It's certainly better than starving him or stressing yourself out and feeling like a failure because you can't produce in the pump. I have an extremely healthy and smart two year old who was mostly formula fed. the way these people are talking about formula it's like it's poison. I've seen babies scream their heads off because their mothers withhold food from them simply because it is not breast milk. That is ludicrous and to shove it down mothers' throats that formula is bad for the baby is just as ludicrous. Formula these days is probably more nutritious than breast milk anyway.

Sorry to get on a soapbox but that just chaps my hide. I'd say give it another few weeks of trying but if it doesn't work, do something else. If you don't want to give him formula, try adding a little rice cereal. I had to do that because my daughter was big from the start.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

happymom28 HB User

It's a very personal choice of whether you want to supplement for not. You will have several people telling you why you should or shouldn't but when it comes down to it it is for you to decide!

I breastfed for the first two months and had to stop because of some medical issues I was having. My dd was over 9lbs when she was born and like your son seemed to eat every hour. I also have a five year old and with my health I was just exhausted. I had my dh give her a bottle of formula in the evening when he got home so that I had a little time to myself. I would then pump while he was feeding her, by myself, relaxing. This gave me the down time I needed and I was able to pump more efficiently after more practice.

Like the above poster said, babies don't need breastmilk to survive. I agree that the first 6 weeks of breastfeeding are the most difficult and if you plan on continuing to breastfeed then you shouldn't give up quite yet. However, there are ways to give yourself a little bit of a break like what I said above. Remember that you are only human and you need to do what is right for you. Nobody else is in your shoes.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

almac HB User

Wow, there have been some very... intense and reassuring posts here. haha.

I don't plan to stop breastfeeding and I've been trying to store as much as possible. Time is a bit of an issue but I agree that when daddy gets home from work I could take some time to myself and do some more pumping (possibly while taking a sit bath since Ive been lacking on that also due to time issues).

As for that very intense post...North of 60, I value your opinion.. That is what I'm here for afterall. I agree with much of what you said.. but like other posters said.. you make it seem like formula is poison haha. It's come a long long way and we're living in a time where more woman are using formula then breastfeeding.. and their children are just fine. The effects of the formula I did agree with. I was worried about the iron causing constipation. I went formula shopping last night (just to have!) and picked up a low iron mix.

Actually... I was thinking.. and this may sound silly.. but I think people are over pretecting their children these days. There are so many children now that have allergies and disorders, its insane! and the only thing thats really changed is how people protect their children from EVERYTHING! I know they mean well but the children aren't being exposed to anything and therefor not building up any antibodies. Perfect example.. the public health nurse told me not to introduce DS to peanut butter until he's around 4 or 5 !!! Just because there are so many children allergic to to peanuts now. This is just dumb to me. Again, this may be a silly theory... but I think I may be on to something here.

Old 12-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by almac
DS is now 3 weeks old and I've been strictly breastfeeding. I don't mind breastfeeding.. or I haven't minded.. he's now having days where he feeds small amounts at a time every half hour to hour. He's a very gasy baby so these small feedings make him even more gasy.. not fun ! But thats beside the point. When I'm out visiting (especially this time of year) its really frustrating having to feed him every hour. I have a breast pump (manual) but it's horrible. It takes me hours to get a 4oz bottle.

I would like to continue to breastfeed but I was wondering if it was okay to use formula on last minute occasions or just as a backup. I'm not fond of the idea of mixing the two but sometimes it would just make things easier for him and me.... and even other people at times (grandparents babysat twice and milk was running dry very quickly).

ALMAC - Hi there. I have been doing both since I had my son 7 weeks ago. My supply never caught up with his demand since he was in the NICU after he was born and my milk took several days to come in. Anyhow, supplementing has worked out VERY well for me. I have no problems and I personally love the fact that I can go places and give him a bottle when he is hungry. Of course, I recommend pumping milk and using a bottle that way, but if you don't have enough to pump, formula can be used.

There is nothing wrong with formula. My generation was mostly formula fed and there are plenty of scholars, doctors, lawyers, etc. from that era. Yes, there are major health benefits to breast feeding, but formula is a safe alternative.

Do what makes you feel best. Your baby is getting breast milk so he is getting the best already. A little formula is not going to hurt him.

Last edited by KeltoKel; 12-28-2006 at 08:01 PM.

Closed Thread