It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

Laney00 HB User
breastfeeding 2 week old and taking Macrobid

Has anyone had a UTI and had to treat it with Macrobid while breastfeeding? I discussed the possible effects to my 2 week old DS and the nurse assured me that it should be ok. Yet I'm on day 3 and he has had diarrhea and excess gas, and sometimes finicky for what seems to be upset tummy. My infection doesn't feel better yet, so not sure if its even working! And its Friday so I have to act now if I want to change meds. Any thoughts for me?

Old 04-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

xinerevelle HB User
Re: breastfeeding 2 week old and taking Macrobid

Laney -- I did a search. It said that if you have a child under 1 month old you and your doctor should seriously weigh whether to take this medication or something else. The only contraindication is to not give it to infants under 1 month old. Sounds like it might be causing some problems in your little one... If it was me, I would discontinue the meds or switch to formula for a few days.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-20-2007 at 04:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
(female)

Laney00 HB User

If I was to switch to formula for a couple of days, is that ok to do? I mean to suddenly give formula after he's used to breastmilk and then to come back to breastmilk after I am done with the antibiotic?

Old 04-20-2007, 05:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

I would call your doctor, or his ped. and talk about it again. I wouldn't stop nursing and bottle feed. That's going to mess you both up, and you may have a tough time going back. There are other meds they can give you, maybe try another one? Hang in there, and feel better soon.

Old 04-21-2007, 02:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Macrobid is approved by AAP for nursing moms. It is a class L2 (L1 being safest, to L5-least safe).

Old 04-21-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
(female)

Laney00 HB User

Thanks for all your responses. I am on day 5 of 7 of the Macrobid and my ds is seeming to feel better. He slept well last night, and is doing ok this morning. We decided I'd just finish the medication unless he got worse. Now all I have to do is hope it actually clears up this uti, so I don't have to take more antibiotics after this.
Being a new mom is tough! I had no idea I would have to worry THIS much about EVERYTHING!! I'm a natural worrier, but I've learned I have much more worry in me than I ever imagined! I'm sure many of you moms know what I mean.

Closed Thread