It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 12:52 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

jmcummins3 HB User
Re: Breast Feeding vs. Formula

It seems like there are so many people who push breastfeeding and think it's their job to tell everyone else what to do and put false info out there trying to convince everyone that formula is a terrible choice. I've heard everything from your baby will have more ear infections, be sickly, have reflux, etc. My first 2 were on formula (I'm still pregnant with my 3rd who will also be formula-fed) and neither has ever had an ear infection, reflux, etc., and when colds/flu/infections go around, they never seem to pick anything up and have always been healthy, while some of their BF friends seem to catch everything that goes around. Neither had jaundice, which is a common problem with BF babies. A friend of mine BF all 3 of her children and they are always sickly, in and out of the doctor/hospital, have asthma, allergies and all sorts of health problems, despite being BF. So, not all formula babies have problems, but not all BF babies are healthier either. BF is easier since you don't have to pack bottles and formula for outings, but you are the only one who can feed your baby (or have to worry about pumping enough for someone else to feed). I think the first few months are rougher when you're already sleep-deprived and are the only one who can feed the baby, and I commend those women who are able to do it (I'm not against BF, just oposed to those who push their choices on everyone else and make other people feel inadequate - that's not right for anyone to do). Formula is nice because DH can take over some of the feedings or you can drop them off at grandma's without having to worry about pumping. But, formula is also expensive. Either way, you'll make it work. I think the key is don't let anyone push you into a decision you're not comfortable with, and don't let anyone guilt-trip you because of your personal choice. It's YOUR choice, and the bottom line is that formula is an acceptable method of feeding your baby, and as long as your baby is being fed, you're still a good mom whether or not you choose to BF and regardless of your reasons for your choice.

BTW, I have not heard of any actual downsides to formula, only the upsides promoting BF, which are skewed towards trying to get moms who have a choice to BF. When the mom doesn't have a choice and can't BF, I've NEVER heard any medical professional tell her she shouldn't feed her baby formula and that formula is a bad alternative. Some moms don't have a choice but that doesn't mean their kids are automatically doomed from the start. The statistics are only slightly in favor of BF anyway if you look at the actual numbers. Most babies do well either way and some would have problems regardless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brooke85 HB User

I breastfed for 4 months and went exclusively to formula because I was working FT and couldn't pump enough during the day. I am thankful I nursed as long as I did, and DD didn't get sick on formula. She was just as healthy to me as she was when I nursed. She never got her first cold until 9 months old when she first started going to daycare.
Breastfeeding has many more health benefits, long and short term, I do know, but you have to decide what works best for you. Both are healthy and will provide your baby with the nutrients he/she needs to grow up healthy.

My situation made it hard to BF because I was working all the time. If I was SAHM it would'ce been way different. Just think about what's right for you and your situation. Good luck with everything!!!

Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 PM   #18
(female)

karen28 HB User

A lot of women give up or don't start breastfeeding for reasons that don't make much sense, and simply because they don't want to. We make women feel bad because they smoke, drink, do drugs while pregnant, but when it comes to breastfeeding it is suddenly OK to do what we want to??? I don't get it. Bottle feeding does hurt or kill babies all the time. It leaves them open to infections that they wouldn't be if breast fed. It leaves them with chronic gut problems. Bottle really isn't the safest route for most babies. The WHO (world health organization) list of safest feeding routes is
1. breast milk from mom
2. breast milk from wet nurse
3. breast milk from milk bank
4. formula

Most medications are safe with breastfeeding, the meds usually not excreted into the milk or excreted in micro milligrams, and usually don't even show up in the babies systems, there are some that you can't bf with, but they are few. Doctors don't want you to bf with meds because they would be liable if something happened.

Anyway, formula is here for situations exactly like the OP's. I don't understand why she is even asking, if the medications aren't compatible with breastfeeding (and I mean really not compatible), and you need them to live, then you will have to bottle feed. End of story. Don't feel guilty about it.

Sorry if this offends anyone, but it is not just IMO. Countless studies have said the same thing. Formula is not the safest thing to be giving your baby, and should only be done as a last resort.

All that being said, I do understand the difficulties faced when one has to return to work. America sucks at being supportive of new moms, and sometimes pumping isn't an option. We need some changes.

Last edited by karen28; 07-01-2007 at 10:03 PM.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:24 PM   #19
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User

Thus far, I think everyones experiences with bottle feeding are right on par with what I've experienced when taking care of other peoples kids, which is great. I've had to take care of a bunch of my young cousins and one of my roommates kids for several years, and never had a problem with any of them... but you never know what other people run into, and since this boy'll be my first, I want to know what other women think.

Truth be told, I think it's rather assinine that some women are all for breast feeding regardless of the fact that in my case it would include large amounts of dangerous medication to regulate several medical problems, including bipolar disorder and severe asthma. Medications for both are, to my understanding, highly dangerous for babies in the doses that my doctors have prescribed. And the attitude that they recieve here are "Well, who cares what's IN your milk, it comes from your body there for it must automatically be good!" It's that kind of idiotic thinking that causes mothers to be to drink and smoke without a second consideration as to what it does for their child. I find it rather ironic that two of the things I am required to take medicine for were caused by that very problem! If other women feel the need to neglect the possibility of exposing their child to high levels of potentially harmful medication, then that is there decision, but they have no room to tell me that I must do the same.

Last edited by DesperationGirl; 07-02-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #20
Veteran
(female)

LisaFaith HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen28 View Post
Bottle feeding does hurt or kill babies all the time. It leaves them open to infections that they wouldn't be if breast fed. It leaves them with chronic gut problems. Bottle really isn't the safest route for most babies.
Are you kidding me? Nobody is disputing that breast is best, but to tell somebody that bottle feeding kills babies is ridiculous and extreme.

To the OP, there is nothing wrong with giving your baby formula. Especially since you are on meds. I find it odd that people always say that very tiny, hardly traceable amounts of medications would be passed through the breastmilk, and would not affect the baby. Then how is it that foods can change the taste of the breastmilk, and give the baby an upset stomach? If things aren't passed through the breastmilk, why, when my preemie had reflux, was I told to cut out dairy products from my diet, since it was highly possible that the milk proteins that I was ingesting were contributing to my ds's reflux?

You are making the right decision for you and your baby. That is all you need to know, or concern yourself with.

Last edited by LisaFaith; 07-02-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #21
(female)

My5Cats HB User

Quote:
Bottle feeding does hurt or kill babies all the time. It leaves them open to infections that they wouldn't be if breast fed. It leaves them with chronic gut problems.

That kind of sweeping generalization (not to mention scare tactic language) is just not accurate, sorry.

My formula fed baby spit up less than ten times (so much for chronic gut problems), and got all her colds/infections from her breast fed cousins, LOL. And you'd think with all the babies being "killed" by formula feeding there would be more stringent warning labels on the cans.

Diana

Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

barton93 HB User

I bottle fed both of my children by choice, and I had a child who suffered from many ear infections until she was 2 and had her tonsils out...........but my son on the other hand was NEVER even on antibiotics until he was 6 years old! He never was sick, and he still never is sick. He was formula fed just as my daughter was. Both of my children are very healthy and are rarely ever sick, and they are now 13 years old and 8 years old.

Also, bottle feeding is safe........if it wasn't, it wouldn't be on the market and wouldn't be recommended as a safe alternative to breast milk. Breast milk is always best, but if a nursing mom doesn't follow a strict diet, smokes, etc.....then obviously breast feeding isn't the healthier choice. I am a smoker, but I was able to quit while I was pregnant. I think the thing that saved me was that smoking literally made me ill, but as soon as my kids were born, my cravings returned, and unfortunately, I indulged in my craving. So, obviously formula feeding is MUCH healthier than breast feeding and passing my nicotine onto my child.

If you choose to bottle feed, don't feel guilty for your decision. Formula may not be a doctors first choice, but it is safe, rich in nutrients, etc. Like I said before, unless you are very strict with yourself after giving birth, it would probably be more beneficial to bottle feed anyway. Just my opinion.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #23
(female)

OTTOCH HB User

I AGREE... I BOTTLED FEED MY DD AND SHE IS REALLY HEALTHY. SHE IS 4 AND SHE IS A HAPPY AND SMART GIRL. I TRIED TO BF DOR LIKE 5 DAYS AND SHE WASN'T GETTING ANYTHING... I JUST DIDN'T HAVE MILK AT ALL!!!!
SO DON'T FEEL BAD.... YOUR BABY WILL BE JUST FINE.....

Old 07-03-2007, 07:13 PM   #24
(female)

karen28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesperationGirl View Post
Thus far, I think everyones experiences with bottle feeding are right on par with what I've experienced when taking care of other peoples kids, which is great. I've had to take care of a bunch of my young cousins and one of my roommates kids for several years, and never had a problem with any of them... but you never know what other people run into, and since this boy'll be my first, I want to know what other women think.

Truth be told, I think it's rather assinine that some women are all for breast feeding regardless of the fact that in my case it would include large amounts of dangerous medication to regulate several medical problems, including bipolar disorder and severe asthma. Medications for both are, to my understanding, highly dangerous for babies in the doses that my doctors have prescribed. And the attitude that they recieve here are "Well, who cares what's IN your milk, it comes from your body there for it must automatically be good!" It's that kind of idiotic thinking that causes mothers to be to drink and smoke without a second consideration as to what it does for their child. I find it rather ironic that two of the things I am required to take medicine for were caused by that very problem! If other women feel the need to neglect the possibility of exposing their child to high levels of potentially harmful medication, then that is there decision, but they have no room to tell me that I must do the same.

If you would read my previous post, I said that formula was made for people in your situation. I have no idea what meds you are on, and it really might be dangerous for you to breast feed. On the other hand, it might not. As I said, most docs won't tell you to go ahead and bf, because of the liability. The studies that have been done on breast milk, mothers, taking most meds, have proved that very, very little actually cross into the breast milk. Of that, very little to none actually make it into the babies system. As for women who smoke, it is much, much better to breastfeed than bottle feed. A new study actually says that it can counteract some of the damage done to the baby in utero. The baby is going to exposed to the smoking environment anyway, might as well give what you can to prevent damage. As for drinking, a small amt is fine. Don't want to get rip, roaring drunk and breastfeed but 1-2 drinks is fine. And no one is telling you that you have to breastfeed. You are a grown-up and can do what you want.

I will stand by what I said before. We make women feel bad about the things they do while pregnant, but then it is OK to do what you want? Doesn't make sense to me. It is very accurate to say that babies die everyday from formula. Allergies, NEC (gut infection), infections that could have been prevented if breastfeeding, improper mixture of the formula, containment in the formula, contamination of the bottles, nipples, water, I could go on and on.

As for the people saying that "formula is safe, or it wouldn't be on the market" , things are "on the market" all the time that aren't safe, or that we screw up along the way. Acetaminophen comes to mind. It is safe if you don't have certain conditions, and use it properly. But people are people and we will misuse, accidental, or take it if we shouldn't (kidney or liver disease, etc). Same thing with formula, it can be contaminated at the factory, at the store, by us while preparing it, by the water, by the bottles, etc. Or we might not be mixing it right, and that can cause major problems.

Everyone says "well I didn't bf and my child is fine".....yes, but not everyone's child is fine. I have seen many babies die related to malnutrition, allergies to formula, bacterial infections related to bottle feeding,etc. Premies are the most venerable, but healthy, full term babies can be at risk, also. It is like saying "we didn't wear our seat belts when we were kids, and we are fine. I won't put a seat belt on my child". We know better now.

You asked for the "down side" of bottle feeding, and I am giving it to you. I am not a "breast feeding ****s" or anything, I have just seen enough, and done enough research and studies, that I am pretty well versed in the "down side" of bottle feeding formula.

You DO NOT have to follow a strict diet, avoid all meds, not ever have a drink, etc while breastfeeding. You DO NOT have to be "strict with yourself" to breastfeed. You can eat spicy foods, bland foods, have a beer with dinner, eat ice cream, eat a candy bar, whatever......it is not going to hurt the baby. Very few women have real problems that would prevent breastfeeding. I have only met one woman that could not produce enough milk, she had breast implants. She did give what she had to the baby, and then followed with formula.

I knew this would upset some people. I bottle feed one of my children, before I knew better. He has had countless ear infections, tonsils out, sick a lot. I try really hard not to feel guilty about that. If I was taking medication that would not allow me to breastfeed, and that was essential to my health, I would bottle feed formula. But just to not breastfeed because I didn't want to? Couldn't do that. It really is too important.

We will just have to agree to disagree here. Whatever choices we make, we make. No need to go around feeling guilty about them. Life is too short for that! I think, if we are all here posting and worrying about our kids then they are most probably loved and we will chose what we think is best for them.

Last edited by karen28; 07-03-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #25
(female)

My5Cats HB User

Quote:
No need to go around feeling guilty about them. Life is too short for that! I think, if we are all here posting and worrying about our kids then they are most probably loved and we will chose what we think is best for them.
And yet you write this in the earlier part of your post?

Quote:
"I will stand by what I said before. We make women feel bad about the things they do while pregnant, but then it is OK to do what you want? Doesn't make sense to me."
Here is the paraphrase: "You SHOULD feel guilty for choosing to formula feed, but no need to feel guilty." Now that doesn't make sense to me, lol.

Anyway, I know this is turning into a debate, but it is still health related. Yes the conditions that you talk about earlier in your post do exist/have happened but are NOT prevailant/common at all, and it would be hard to draw a DIRECT line between them and use of formula (probably more easy to draw the line between some of the conditions and neglect) , so I still stand by my assertion that the info you posted is inaccurate because you use the wording "all the time" and "everyday."

And to bring this back to the original poster's question, there were no health drawbacks (only major benefits) to formula feeding MY baby.

Diana

Old 07-04-2007, 12:50 PM   #26
(female)

karen28 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by My5Cats View Post
And yet you write this in the earlier part of your post?

Here is the paraphrase: "You SHOULD feel guilty for choosing to formula feed, but no need to feel guilty." Now that doesn't make sense to me, lol.

Anyway, I know this is turning into a debate, but it is still health related. Yes the conditions that you talk about earlier in your post do exist/have happened but are NOT prevailant/common at all, and it would be hard to draw a DIRECT line between them and use of formula (probably more easy to draw the line between some of the conditions and neglect) , so I still stand by my assertion that the info you posted is inaccurate because you use the wording "all the time" and "everyday."

And to bring this back to the original poster's question, there were no health drawbacks (only major benefits) to formula feeding MY baby.

Diana
My meaning was if you had already formula fed an infant you shouldn't feel guilty about it now, and do better, if possible, next time (if there is a next time). 4 out of every 1000 babies die in the USA every year because of formula feeding. That is a direct health drawback, but I am glad most of the bottle feeders here have had good outcomes. The AAP and WHO are trying to get laws passed to have warning put on formula. My bottle baby has been sooo sick compared with the other two, which has prompted me to do lots of research, that number is much higher if you add in the developing countries. But for the OP, with the medications she has to take, it seems that formula is the only reasonable route. I would say you could call a human milk bank, but their supplies are usually reserved for premies, or babies with problems, because they are the most at risk. I am not trying to be an alarmist, but women in the USA are grossly uninformed about the risk of formula, mostly because the doctors don't take the time to discuss things with them. If women knew the risk I think many more would breastfeed. The breastfeeding rate where I work is about 40% that start to bf, and about 25% that actually go home breastfeeding. I am not going to blame women for stopping bf at my hospital, b/c some of the doctors push them to. The two highly published cases where babies died in recent years, related to breastfeeding, have scared them into suggesting bottle feeding to new moms. In those cases, the mom was not looking for output, and could have been prevented, but it only has been those two cases, at least that I have found. Found lots more info about babies that have died from diarrhea from formula feeding (4000 babies a year, from this complication alone, in the USA.) Maybe the doctors are doing this everywhere, I hope not, but it certainly happens at my hospital. This really is turning into a debate, so I will stop now. The OP wanted to know the risk, and unless she calls some of the informed breastfeeding groups, she probably will not get the risk from anywhere else. But in her case, I don't see where she has any other choice, unless her meds are proven to be OK for breastfeeding, and sense I don't know what they are she will have to speak with her doctor about that, or call a lactation consultant with the names and dosages.

Last edited by karen28; 07-04-2007 at 07:56 PM.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:57 PM   #27
(female)

bamagrl HB User

I have 2 girls. ages 5 and 8. I bottle fed both of them and I had no problems at all. The only thing is that with my youngest they had to switch her formula to something milder. But as far as health issues, my kids have been perfectly healthy their whole life. (more than some breastfed babies i know). I'm totally NOT against breastfeeding but I find it sometimes inconvienent. More of when you are in public and the baby is screaming for food , you can't just stick a bottle in their mouth. I guess it's just a decision you will have to make...just go with your heart and don't let anyone persuade you one way or the other......GOOD LUCK!!

Closed Thread