It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User
Breast Feeding vs. Formula

When I first got pregnant, I was absolutely certain that I wanted to breast feed. However, as it gets closer and closer to my baby's arrival, I am thinking I would prefer formula over the breast. The reasons for it are a mixture of things, mainly medication and diet. I wanted to ask, however, are there any known health problems or issues caused by formula?

Old 06-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
(female)

joemamma22 HB User
Re: Breast Feeding vs. Formula

if you have a local WIC office they have tons of information on breast feeding and formula. but i list off the main points in one of the phamplets she gave me. i hope it helps and im not trying to lean you either way this is just what they gave me.

breast milk is easier, and always warm and ready. breast milk is pure, clean, and safe. breast milk changes to meet the needs of your growing baby. babies need different amounts of food, breast feeding gives just the right amount.

breast feeding gives you a special bond with your baby. breast milk is the purfect nurtition for your baby. each time you breast feed it helps your baby fight germs.

breastfed babies have: fewer ear infections, less diarrhea and constipation, fewer illnesses. when BF babies do get sick its usually milder and dosent last as long.

BF helps protect against: allergies, asthma, some childhood cancers, and diabetes. formula is expensive (which i know is true, i used to work for stater bros, about 2 years ago and each can was about $21, and it usually wont last a week).you will spend more on bottles, nipples, and other such things with formula.

there is no landfill waste from breast feeding. BF is good for mommy too. you will not need to heat or wash bottles. you wont have to stumble around and make the baby wait for the bottle, the milk is always ready. BF babies smell sweeter and diapers smell less.

BF babies are less likely to spit up. and when they do it wont stain like formula. BF will make your uterus shrink faster. BF reduces some types of breast and ovarian cancer. BF hormomes will help you relax.

God bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 05:11 PM   #3
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User

Trust me, I really don't want the ups of breast feeding. More, I want to know the downs of bottle feeding. I take a lot of medications for health issues and, before I got prego, was on a very strict and non-baby-friendly doctor-imposed diet to lose weight (which they've encouraged me to take up after giving birth). I don't think it'd be good for my baby to have inadequate nutrition on top of six different meds that make MY heartrate soar.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
(female)

Elliesmom HB User

Downsides to bottle feeding - Reflux for one. It is almost unheard of in BF babies. It seemed like almost half the babies in my gymboree class that were bottle fed had it. Even with medication they have to take babies are still fussy and spit up often. And I mean projectile spitting up. Having had reflux I would imagine those poor little ones are miserable.

Then you had the babies that couldn't take any of the regular formulas and ended up on the special ones that costed $40 can - that they went through in one day. I really don't know how those parents afforded it.

Of course - there is the recurrent illnesses that can occur with formula. When my daughter went to her 12 month well-baby appointment and had never been sick or had an ear infection (still hasn't) the doctor was amazed until she read she was a BF baby. Considering that she had half my genes - I have horrible allergies and had ear infections every month until I was 6 years old - I consider it exceptional.

I don't know what medicines you take, but I would first confirm that they are incompatible with breastfeeding. Honestly I had surgery and was told I couldn't nurse for 48 hours after I woke up. My baby was hysterical and refused a bottle so I tried it anyway. I gave her a little and watched for the lethargy. And nothing. THe same thing when they gave me muscle relaxers. SHe was fine. The problem is that it is much easier to just tell women they can't BF with medicine than it is to spend the money to find out if it is safe. I would contact someone with La Leche League and ask them about your medication. You might find someone with experience who can tell you.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User

I've already asked. My medicines are not safe with breastfeeding, due to the fact that they can have massive effects on the heart and are known to cause extremely high heart rates in both adults and infants. I'm required to be on some of the medications while pregnant, but only because I'd be dead without them. `

Old 06-27-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
(female)

bondgrll HB User

Hey girl, don't you worry one second if you don't BF. None of my three boys touched a drop of breast milk and are healthy horses all around. I never did and neither did my brother. Bottle feeding is fabulous for you...you will rest more, have more energy to take care of yourself, your family and friends can help out and the baby will most likely (unless there's an allergy) thrive! Please don't feel guilty...it's very hard not to....trust me I delivered in a hospital filled with what I call BF ****s. Makes it stressful all around. My theory is, if women are gung-ho and it works for them and comes easily, then GO for it. If not, then GO for bottlefeeding. Let's not judge one another...we all have to do what's best for ourselves and our situation. As for me, I will stick with bottle feeding when number 4 comes in January...no sweat!

Old 06-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
(female)

My5Cats HB User

I come from a family and community of breast feeding enthusiasts, shall we say. So I suffered an incredible amount of guilt when I quit breast feeding when she was 3 weeks old. But guess what? When I switched her over to the bottle she stopped screaming, started gaining weight, and started sleeping through the night immediately. Then and there I knew it was the right choice for us. Go with whatever decision you feel is right for you and your baby and live GUILT FREE. The bf guilt trips people can put you on can suck the joy right out of your first months of being a mom.

Take care and best wishes for the rest of your pregnancy!

Diana

P.S. If you don't want your bottle fed baby to suffer ear infections, simply don't lay them down while they are having the bottle, and don't put them to bed with the bottle. Easy as that.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
(female)

joemamma22 HB User

i am not trying to give you a guilt trip, that was just the info packet she gave me. the few things she said about it was that most things wont go thru your breast milk, the lady said your diet for the most part didnt really effect the baby.also that ist can take several weeks for both you and the baby to be comfortable with BF. but i wish you to go with whatever option makes you happy, im not trying to push my position, as im not 100% that i will myself when the time comes. i have seen alot of stomache problems with infants who have been on a bottle the WHOLE time, but every kid is different. my DH has always (still does) had stomache problems, and no one else in his family does. his mom wasnt able to breast feed at all. but again, these are just my experiences and im not trying to push you either way.dont feel guilty either way! have a good day God bless

Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User

I wanted to breastfeed SO BADLY. I literally made myself sick trying to do it. My daughter ended up back in the hospital at nine days old and had to be bottle fed, and after that, simply would NOT go back to the breast. I tried for about three weeks, and finally threw in the towel. I still wish I would have been able to breastfeed, but I try and realize that all babies are different, and some take to BF easier than others. After I gave up breastfeeding I felt so guilty, I went through some depression. I don't think it was worth all of that stress.

That being said, my daughter is healthy and happy. She knows she is loved and cared for, regardless if I am offering her my breast. I still hold her to my skin sometimes when I feed her, and I love her just as much as any mother who is breastfeeding, and I know she feels that.

My point is, that the most important thing in your child's life is to have a healthy mommy. I think if it were me, and Bfeeding was going to make me sick (because I couldn't take meds etc) then I probably wouldn't.

Whatever you decide, your little one will know she is loved!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

youneeak HB User

Hi there,

You've been given a lot of good information! Just remember that this is YOUR DECISION that you are making for YOUR baby. People are very much for breast feeding (and for GREAT reason) but sometimes it's not a possibility for some moms to do, so please take the advice from an earlier poster and DO NOT FEEL GUILTY if you are unable to breastfeed. I, unfortunatly, cannot breast feed my little girl either. There are a number of reasons why I am unable to do this, so I have accepted that fact. She's due in less than 2 weeks now and I cannot tell you how often people have criticized, questioned, made me feel guilty...like an idiot...like a bad mom. And they don't even know the circumstances related! I've been polite so far, but I've been told to watch out for the ladies at the hospital...good luck with your decision!!

Old 06-28-2007, 05:26 AM   #11
(female)

Mainegirl HB User

I tried to BF with my first child since he had a health issue when he was born but it hurt too much for me. It felt like someone was sticking a needle through my nipple.

With my 2nd, I didn't even bother with BF and he had no problems (he's 13 now).

I had a breast reduction/lift in 2005 where they disconnected everything so I couldn't BF anymore even if I wanted to.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:07 PM   #12
(female)

stonebonner HB User

I was convinced that I was going to breastfeed with my first. After 1 extremely awful week I gave it up and went to formula. I felt so guilty because they had pushed breastfeeding so hard at the Hospital. After I found a formula that worked well for my dd it was wonderful. Second baby came along, tried breastfeeding again, didn't work and I didn't like it and she did fine on formula. Both my girls are healthy and survived formula feeding. I think for my third I might breastfeed while I am in the hospital and then probably switch to formula.

Whatever you decide, don't let anyone guilt you one way or the other. It is not worth getting depressed over if you can't breastfeed, you will have a beautiful new baby and it will thrive on formula as well as it would on breastmilk.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #13
(female)

DesperationGirl HB User

Believe you me, I will not feel guilty over the decision. I, myself, was bottle fed and I turned out just fine. I'm very curious as to others experiences with it. Many thanks for the support!

Old 06-28-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

mjbrandon HB User

I wanted to breastfeed SO BADLY. I literally made myself sick trying to do it. My daughter ended up back in the hospital at nine days old and had to be bottle fed, and after that, simply would NOT go back to the breast. I tried for about three weeks, and finally threw in the towel. I still wish I would have been able to breastfeed, but I try and realize that all babies are different, and some take to BF easier than others. After I gave up breastfeeding I felt so guilty, I went through some depression. I don't think it was worth all of that stress.

That being said, my daughter is healthy and happy. She knows she is loved and cared for, regardless if I am offering her my breast. I still hold her to my skin sometimes when I feed her, and I love her just as much as any mother who is breastfeeding, and I know she feels that.

My point is, that the most important thing in your child's life is to have a healthy mommy. I think if it were me, and Bfeeding was going to make me sick (because I couldn't take meds etc) then I probably wouldn't.

Whatever you decide, your little one will know she is loved!

Old 06-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #15
(female)

kelky HB User

You have to do what is best for you. And you wont know for sure until the baby is here. I breastfed my daughter for 6 months... and guess what, she slept through the night at 3 WEEKS!!! There is nothing wrong with formula, and there is nothing wrong with BF. My only advice is that you at least TRY BF. Even if your baby only gets the colostrum from the first few days, that is still beneficial! And it is not true that breastfed babies don't get reflux... it is less common, but it does happen. Sadly, no matter what you choose, you will hear some unwanted opinions.

Closed Thread