It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

km7503 HB User
Period/Symptoms after stopping breastfeeding?

OK, so I stopped breastfeeding about 2 weeks ago (my daughter is 12 weeks) and I haven't gotten a period yet at all. My OB said I may not get when during bf, so when should I expect one to come? Anyone know?

Also, are there other symptoms that can come with this? I've been getting bad headaches out of the blue, been REALLY thirsty (more than just hot, dry air kind of thirsty), and I've had some cramping. I'm thinking this is all just my hormones getting back into the right zones and my body getting ready to menstruate again, right?? Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

Old 07-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #2
(female)

sdjansen HB User
Re: Period/Symptoms after stopping breastfeeding?

I nursed DS for about a year and weaned him in a few days. I kept waiting for my period to come for about 3 months. I also had what I thought were symptoms. Then when DS was 15 months old I found out I was pregnant, without ever getting a period. So now I have a 2 month old and I still havent gotten a period since before I was pregnant with my firstborn, who is now 2. I have heard before that it takes months to get your period even if you are not breastfeeding, like natures way so you dont get pregnant too soon. I dont really have any advice but your headaches might be from being dehydrated, you said that your real thirsty. Whenever I am dehydrated it feels like a minor hangover.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

AZ24 HB User
Re: Period/Symptoms after stopping breastfeeding?

Your period might just take some time coming back. 6 weeks after having my dd, I got a period...and then again for the next 2 months. I breastfed her from day 1...for 12 1/2 months. After those initial periods, I didn't get my period again until she was 11 months old. I have had my period ever since (she is 15 months old now). I have a few girlfriends that are breastfeeding, and some got their periods right away, and some still haven't.

Just be patient. It will come whether you like it or not.

Closed Thread