It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

lindsay1026 HB User
Breastfeeding/don't think I'm producing enough

I am worried that I am not producing enough milk. My daughter is 5 weeks old. Right now I am trying to build up a supply to freeze when I go back to work (which is next week). On a good day, I can only get maybe 2 oz out of a breast (usually only 1 oz). What does everyone else get? My daughter is very fussy and I am wondering if it's b/c she's not satisfied. I am going to call the dr. tomorrow, but does anyone supplement formula w/their bottled breastmilk? I hate to do it, but I am stressed that she is always hungry.

Also, any tips for increasing my supply?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

meechieny HB User
Re: Breastfeeding/don't think I'm producing enough

I have always been a freak when it comes to milk supply, so I won't tell you how much I would get. What I do attribute my success to is WATER. Drink, drink, drink and then drink some more You should have it with you all the time and actually drink more than the usually 8-10 glasses. I would pump after you feed the baby and try to empty your breasts entirely. Hot showers with the water beating on your chest should stimulate a let-down also. Good luck and keep at it.Congrats on the baby girl!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sem627 HB User

Water is HUGE. Yes, drink lots. Also, eating oatmeal helps.

Pumps don't always do the same job that a baby does. She may be much more efficient than your pump. Are you using a hand-held or electric? The double electric pumps are much better, but even with that, you may just not get a lot out with the pump.

Is she wetting and pooping enough? I'm not sure the number per day anymore, but that's a huge indicator. The fussiness could be hunger, but it could be something in your breastmilk. Are you avoiding gassy foods like broccoli, cauliflower, etc. Some fruits can do it too..my son didn't like when I ate strawberries. But all three of my children couldn't tolerate me drinking milk or eating dairy.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

athome1 HB User

I was like you and could not produce enough no matter what I did. I drank water ALL THE TIME and still had no success. I had to supplement with my first b/c he had jaundice and his numbers were around 18-20. He needed to get enough food in order for his body to rid itself of the jaundice. So I tried AGAIN when my second was born. Still not enough. I would try and pump and end up with less than 1/2 an ounce per breast. My doctor and I tried everything. I was really to stressed to continue, so I switched to formula b/c my kids were hungry. I hope you have better success than I did. With my third I went straight to the bottle. I wasn't about to go through the emotional mess again. It's very hard when you can't do it and really wanted to. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:00 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

KeltoKel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aelliott View Post
I was like you and could not produce enough no matter what I did. I drank water ALL THE TIME and still had no success. I had to supplement with my first b/c he had jaundice and his numbers were around 18-20. He needed to get enough food in order for his body to rid itself of the jaundice. So I tried AGAIN when my second was born. Still not enough. I would try and pump and end up with less than 1/2 an ounce per breast. My doctor and I tried everything. I was really to stressed to continue, so I switched to formula b/c my kids were hungry. I hope you have better success than I did. With my third I went straight to the bottle. I wasn't about to go through the emotional mess again. It's very hard when you can't do it and really wanted to. Good luck!

I went through the exact same thing, Aelliot! Son had jaundice and all and had to have formula from the beginning and my supply never caught up with his demand, no matter what I did.

Lindsay - has your daughter been back to the pediatrician and weighed? What has the doctor said?
When I pumped, I never got much, and some will say you never get as much when you pump. For me, it didn't make a difference whether I pumped or had baby on the breast, I just didn't produce.
My advice is to put your DD on the breast every hour to get your supply going.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #6
(female)

lindsay1026 HB User

Thanks for your thoughts. I have not been drinking much water at all since giving birth , so I am going to start today! When I brought her to the dr. at her 1 1/2 wk check up she was 7lbs 4oz (she was born 6lbs 14oz) so she had gained then. But she hasn't been back to the dr. in a month. I am going to see if they will let me stop in to get her weighed. It would make me feel better.

I will also keep pumping after every session and encourage my DD to eat more often.

Thanks for you thoughts/comments!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

dizzygirl HB User

Also, there are foods that promote lactation.......do a search online, I know that oatmeal is one of them!

Old 09-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

mcr285 HB Usermcr285 HB User

definitely keep up the water! another thing though, is don't let yourself get stressed about it - stress can definitely hinder the milk producing process! if you don't think your baby is eating enough, you might try supplementing with formula - like start out nursing her, but if she still seems hungry, after she's finished both sides, go ahead and give her a couple of ounces of formula. BUT keep up with pumping at each feeding (regardless of if she nurses or not). that way, you can relax about how much baby is eating, and you can build up your supply at the same time.

what's important is that your baby is getting enough nutrition. breastfeeding is great and wonderful and all that, but it doesn't always work out for some moms. if you keep nursing and pumping and you still aren't producing enough, you just might not be destined to breastfeed. not breastfeeding doesn't mean that you're a bad mommy, it just means that your boobs won't be hanging around your ankles by the time your child gets to kindergarten! LOL!

point being, don't stress. try the ideas mentioned by the other posters here, but if they don't work, there are plenty of other ways to bond with your baby other than breastfeeding.

one last thing.... just my thoughts on how breastfeeding keeps your child healthy an all.... i nursed my oldest for 7 months, and the kid was sick ALL the time! i nursed my second for only 4 months, and she almost never gets sick (and they were both born in the same month, 2 years apart!)! i think it really just depends on the child!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #9
(male)

zevi8 HB User

Alot of people say that certain things promote lactation but the best is a well balanced diet. Get a whole food supplement (they are safe) and take it every day. There is one my wife takes called life booster. i think a company called newnutric makes it. It works for her. She uses a breast pump because my baby doesnt like nursing. She produces around 33 ounces a day. Some people say fenugreek works for milk supply although it didnt work for her. I made up a diet for her that is well balanced and that worked well. Another thing you can try is Hemp protein powder. That will almost certainly increase your supply. its safe for nursing mothers. Get a good electric double breast pump. My wife has a ameda egnell elite. Its the kind they use in hospitals. its the best out there. It is a little costly but we bought ours on **** for 250.00. They go for around 1100.00 new.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sobannon HB User

I too could not produce no matter what I tried. I took fenugreek, blessed thistle (I think that is the name of it), got a prescription for Reglan, drank tons of water, pumped every two to three hours with a high grade double electric pump(even while baby in NICU), and changed my diet. I mean everything. I got 1/2 - 2 ounces with each pump (sometimes less). I desperately wanted to bf because I knew that this would probably be my only baby as I was a fertility patient. By the time my son was allowed to latch, he just refused, I was so disappointed. By giving your child formula, you are providing nutrition, when your body just can't. This does not make you a bad parent or mean you didn't try hard enough. Sometimes there are physiological reasons why one doesn't produce milk.

Don't stress, try your best and do what will be best for your child in the longrun.

Amy

Last edited by sobannon; 09-18-2007 at 12:59 AM.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:01 PM   #11
(female)

WarGerbil HB User

My mother breastfed me for 2 1/2 yrs. I refused to ever take a bottle, so for the first few months of my life I received no supplementation whatsoever, and my mother was never able to pump an ounce of milk. Pumping isn't a good indicator of milk production. You can get a scale and weigh your baby before and after eating to see how much she got. As long as she has enough wet diapers I wouldn't worry too much about it. The more you feed her the more you will produce.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 AM   #12
(female)

Candy_Girl HB User

My sister is going through this right now - aside from all the recommendations of the other posters, you can also talk to your doctor about a prescription for drugs that will increase your milk supply. There are a bunch out there that will stimulate the lactation hormones in your body.

However, as the previous poster said, pumping is NOT an indication of how much the baby is drinking. With my first, I could only ever pump about 1/2 of what she would take in a breast-milk bottle feeding. It was never an issue for me though because I only ever gave her a bottle for special occasions. FOr long term pumping - you need a double pump or hospital grade pump - hand pumps won't do. And you need your baby to nurse as often as possible.

Good luck.

Closed Thread