It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
adderall while breastfeeding???

has anyone taken adderall while breastfeeding?

i only breastfeed my daughter (7 months old) early in the morning and then once late at night. i would really like to get back on adderall as i have three kids to deal with all day and my husband is getting ready to deploy again, BUT, i am having a hard time wanting to completely quit breastfeeding (DD is having a hard time wanting to quit too!).

please don't yell at me about how harmful drugs are for children and all that. i've looked all over the internet and have seen a whole lot of conflicting information on the subject, so i was wondering if anyone has any actual experience with it.

i wondered if i breastfeed early in the morning before taking my morning dose of adderall, and then late at night, 8 hours after taking my second dose, would the adderall be out of my system, or at least down to a degree that it wouldn't harm my baby?

thanks!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: adderall while breastfeeding???

Studies have shown that it might not be all that bad, especially since your baby is bigger now and getting some food from other sources, and you are planning to time nursing away from the medicine. If she were newborn and breastfeeding exclusively, the risk to her would be much higher.

One study found that, among a small sample of babies around 5 months old, they were getting a weight-adjusted dose of 5-15% of what mamma was taking. (That's not 5% of her medicine, it means that baby's blood level was 5% of mamma's.) Same study found that the babies seemed okay.

Of course, no one can prove it is safe. But then again, having a disorganized and stressed out mamma isn't good for kids, either. Talk to your doctor and make your own judgement.

Taking adderall at higher abuse-type dosages would of course be very bad for baby's brain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
(female)

jammyslisa HB User

Marisuela,
I totally get why you want to get back on the adderall, but honestly, I would check with either your doctor or your child's pediatrician before you start taking it while b/f. I am not sure how long it stays in your system and it just wouldn't be worth taking a chance on if it would get into your child.
Please check with a doctor first.
Lisa

Old 03-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

oh i plan on asking my doctor what he thinks, but doctors opinions vary on the subject and so i am looking for anyone who has any actual experience with breastfeeding while on adderall. not that i don't appreciate the comments made here so far, because i do!!!

i am not taking this lightly. i do NOT want to do anything that would harm my baby in any way!!! if i find enough evidence that breastfeeding while on adderall is a bad thing, then i'll have to wean my baby completely to get on adderall, and i can do that..... OR i'll just not get on adderall right now so that i can continue to breastfeed.

i would just really like to know if anyone knows how it (medicines in general) works with breastfeeding, how long between doses until the breastmilk is deemed safe for baby, if i breastfeed early in the morning and late at night, would that work..... oh, sorry, i'm repeating myself.... see??? i need to get back on adderall!!!!! thanks janewhite1 for the information.... it gives me something more solid to research.

anyway, thanks again.....

Last edited by marisuela; 03-01-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Here's what I found, a US government website containing a survey of studies of drugs and lactation:

[url]http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/f?./temp/~q9gYzw:1[/url]

Old 03-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks, i will look at that!

Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
(female)

subrosa HB User

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, found it seeking answers to the same question you are. Our experiences are a little different, my DD is 16 months old (today!) & if allowed would probably revert from her wean & back to the breast. I'm taking adderall for ADD; pumping & dumping in the hope of keeping some sort of milk supply. This is in case I need to return her to the breast...

(I apoligise, as the above information doesn't address your concerns!)

My point is, I asked my Psychiatrist how long it would take for adderall to be completely out of my system. He told me it would take about a day for the adderall to be *totally* gone. It has roughly a 5 hour half life & to multiply that by 5, so 25 hours until adderall would be completly out of my system.

Something else you might like to consider, I believe Dr Hale (though, I don't have the link) has been sited that Ritalin a better choice while breast feeding as it has an even shorter 1/2 life.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
(female)

UmbrellaFella HB User

<removed> A half-life of 5.5 hours does NOT mean that all of the drug will be out of your system in twice that amount of time (i.e. 11 hours). Drug metabolizes according to the law of EXPONENTIAL DECAY. A half-life of 5.5 hours means that half of the drug leaves your system is 5.5 hours, and that a quarter of the drug remains in your system 11 hours, that one-eighth remains after 16.5 hours, etc.

<removed>

-

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-06-2009 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Please respond in a supportive and respectful manner to other posters.

The Following User Says Thank You to UmbrellaFella For This Useful Post:
dkt03 (06-29-2012)
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
(female)

masonsmommy08 HB User

Hi! I know you posted this message a few months ago, but even if you never see it, I wanted to post for future readers... anyone with an interest in this topic. You asked for a reply from someone with actual personal experience breastfeeding on adderall. You got everything but what you asked for. I want to say, first of all, that anyone who blindly assumes that taking adderall and nursing is like giving your baby speed is ignorant and misinformed.

That said, I am going to share a real, personal experience with you. I have been on adderall (20mg twice a day, instant release) for about 5 years now. When I found out I was pregnant with my son, I immediately went to my OB with questions about the effects of adderall during pregnancy. She informed me that when a patient is properly diagnosed and medicated, the benefits far outweigh any possible risks. In other words, the stress my body and mind would be under without the medication would be a much greater threat to my unborn child than the medication itself. (she said that the ONLY documented effect of adderall in pregnancy is a very slight elevation of fetal heart rate, which is inconsequential and not harmful in any way.) She actually felt so strongly that I should remain on the medication that she personally wrote a letter to the prescriber (my GP) and asked him to continue my adderall treatment without interruption. He did. My pregnancy was wonderful and I never had the first complication. (in fact, my son's heart rate was steady and perfectly healthy whether it was checked before or after I took my meds...there was never any notable difference.) I had an incredibly easy labor and delivery and a speedy recovery. My son was born a perfect 7lb.10oz. and scored 9's on both his apgars. I nursed him in the delivery room about 10 minutes after he was born and he was a natural. I was moved to the mother/baby unit for the next 2 days, during which time I was given medicine for the pain (a couple stitches) and my regular daily doses of adderall. My doctors and nurses were fully aware of my decision to breastfeed and still, twice a day, I was given adderall...provided by the hospital.
I nursed my son exclusively for the first 2 1/2 months of his life. No formula, not even bottles of expressed milk. He was always most content at the breast. About a week after coming home from the hospital, he suddenly became a very unhappy baby. If he wasn't nursing or sleeping, he was crying... sleep came only at the breast, and lasted no more than an hour and a half. There didn't seem to be any reasonable cause or solution. He seemed to be perfectly healthy child.. gaining weight rapidly and developing normally in every way. Determined to continue breast feeding, I tried EVERYTHING. 2 weeks without dairy. 2 weeks without gluten. Switched vitamins. Cut out all gas-producing foods. And, at some point, stopped taking adderall for 3 days. Nothing worked. It was a very difficult and trying time and I felt as though I might never sleep again. Then, when my baby was 10 weeks old, my mom showed up my door one evening with a can of formula in one hand and a duffel bag in the other. She told me I was to hand her the baby, go straight to bed, and sleep for no less than 8 hours. As hesitant as I was to allow my breastfed son to be given formula for a few feedings in a row, my exhaustion and gratitude took over and I did just as she said. 12 hours later, I woke up feeling like a different person. I opened the bedroom door to find my mom and my son playing quietly on the floor together. No screaming, no extremities thrashing...just awake and perfectly content. Thrilled at the sudden transformation but saddened by the changes that I knew must be made, I resigned myself to the permanent switch from breastfeeding to formula feeding. The results were amazing. Within a 24 hour period of time, my son became a completely different child. Now 9 months old, he is a happy and active child and has been on the same lactose free formula since that night.
His pediatrician has since told me that she believes he had some sort of unavoidable intolerance to my breast milk. She says it is uncommon, but it does happen.
I guess the moral of my story is that breastfeeding can be challenging and unpredictable. Each of my attempts failed.. simply because none of the things I omitted were responsible in the first place. Including adderall. So if you have been told by your doctor that a medication is acceptable to take while breastfeeding, take it. If you do not believe or trust your doctor's expertise, find a new one. This issue, like so many others, is simply not black and white. If you feel that something you are putting into your body is harming your breastfed child, then do not take it. Or test your theory. But please keep in mind that there is always more than one potential solution. Every mom and every baby is different. When you loose sight of the big picture and focus on one potential scenario, you do yourself and your child a great injustice.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: masonsmommy08
cgibrall (01-19-2012), vana1 (01-11-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to masonsmommy08 For This Useful Post:
cgibrall (01-19-2012), vana1 (01-11-2012)
Old 04-23-2010, 05:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

smilez HB User

My understanding is that when the effects have worn off and/or it is out of your "system," then it is out of your breastmilk.

Closed Thread