It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Exclamation a question about breastfeeding and taking medicine....

okay, i posted a similar question on the ADD boards, but i realized that maybe i need to talk to some actual nursing moms (or moms who have experience with nursing)......

here's some background first:

so i have ADD. i take adderall for it. i quit taking adderall as soon as i found out i was pregnant (with each of my 3 girls), and stayed off of it until i was done nursing.... except with my third daughter, she doesn't seem to want to let go of the nursing completely, and i really don't want to either. she might be my last baby and i want to be able to nurse her as long as i can.

BUT, i really need to get back on adderall. my husband is getting ready to start school for his masters degree, and in a few months he'll deploy again, and i have three kids to take of basically on my own. it's not an easy task with ADD!

so, if i only breastfeed my daughter first thing in the morning, between 6-7, and then take my adderall (20mgs) at 7:30am and again at 2:00pm (20mgs), would the adderall go into my milk, and if it did, would it be in an amount significant enough to harm my daughter if she's only getting breastfed once a day? she drinks between 20 - 25 ounces of formula a day, she eats a #2 jar of baby food twice a day and likes puffs and cheerios snacks too. i weigh about 185lbs, and my daughter weighs 20lbs, if that makes any difference.

i'm really struggling with this. i keep finding conflicting opinions on the internet and i just don't know what is the right thing to do?

oh, and my doctor said there just haven't been any real studies done on the subject, so he'd just leave it up to me......

Last edited by marisuela; 03-04-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

Nellana HB User
Re: a question about breastfeeding and taking medicine....

Consult with your Pediatrician (take your RX with you on the next appt.) He will be able to tell you if the dosage with affect your nursing child. Until then I would suggest that you wait most everything you ingest is transfered to your baby through your breastmilk.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB UserAlexaIn2006 HB User

Personally I wouldn't mix the medication and breastfeeding. Many studies are often funded by the pharmaceutical companies anyways, but the fact is that medications are chemicals and synthetic and they do transfer to the baby through breast milk. The thing with many medicines is that many people will not experience side effects from things in the near future, but long term effects (generally speaking) are likely. Either stop breastfeeding or find another way to help your ADD, there are natural ways of treating this that may help you.....? Best of luck to you!

Old 12-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
(female)

rawzgurl HB User

Hi. I'm completely new to this posting thing, so bear with me please. The only reason I've joined and am doing this now is because I have the same exact question. I realize this post is a bit old. Did you get any new information. It may be here somewhere, but like I said, I'm new & I doubt I could find it if paid to do so, lol. So please... can anyone tell me if they have breastfed while taking Adderall?? Thanks for your patience(and replies?).

Old 12-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

I didn't start taking it until my daughter was somewhere between 7-9 months old, and then I only nursed her first thing in the morning before I took my first dose. It didn't seem to affect her at all, but it made me so nervous!! I never got a definitely yes or definitely no answer about it.

My OB told me that I could take maybe half a dose while I was pregnant, if I really needed it, and I took that into consideration when I was trying to decide about nursing. I really wish there was better information out there about it!

I can only tell you that I nursed my daughter for two months while on Adderall and it didn't do anything to her at all.... but again, that was only first thing in the morning before I took my first dose of Adderall. I quit around when she was 9 months old but that was because she bit me!

Sorry I can't be of more help, but just wanted to let you know you're not alone!

Old 12-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
(female)

karensk HB User

You need to look up Dr. Thomas Hale - his word is the gold standard as far as medications while breastfeeding. Here is a link to his forum:
http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/
(click on BFing and medications forum)

Healthcare providers are permitted to post on his site. In addition, he has a book called "Medications and Mother's Milk."

Your average doc simply does not have the knowledge about breastfeeding and medication use in any detail unless they have done specific continuing education pertaining to this subject.

Hope that helps you and any other concerned BFing moms.

Closed Thread