It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User
Roseola.......Breast Feeding?

Roseola is being passed through my DD's in-home daycare. Three kids have had it so far, including mine. My DD went back to daycare yesterday without a fever for 24 hours and with a rash. As I uderstand it, they are not contagious once the fever is gone even with the rash. One of the moms was dropping off her DD who is 6 months old as I was getting into my car. I told her to be on the look out for the fever and then the rash, as it was going around. My daycare provider is not good about spreading the word when kids are sick. Many times I have called to say my DD would not be there because she sick, and then she would say oh, well "so-n-so" had that last week. And I think to myself, why didn't you warn me???? UGH. So I thought it was my duty to let this other mom know. Her response was, "She is breastfed, she won't get sick, I'm not worried about it." And my response was, "Okay" (with a bit of sarcasm). I only breastfed for 6-7 weeks, and when I returned to work I dried up. Am I wrong to think she is wrong about this? Don't all kids start getting sick around 6 months when they lose the anti-bodies from being in the womb? That's when my DD had her first cold. 6 Months on the dot. This mom has a snotty attitude often, and I wish I had said more than just Okay. I just want to get my facts straight.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Roseola.......Breast Feeding?

Wow--that does sound pretty snotty for her to say! However, the benefits of breastfeeding continue as long as the breastfeeding does. Antibodies that the mom's body produces to fight off infection are passed through her milk, so the baby will recieve the same protection from illness. So, while some have idea that breastfeeding is only necessary or important for X number of weeks/months, the facts are that the breastmilk evolves and changes to meet the baby's needs as s/he changes as well.
I don't agree with the way this mom responded to your well meant advice, though. And breastfed babies still can get sick--they're not immune to everything that comes their way. They do have an advantage, though.

Whiskers
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Actually, Whiskersonkittens, that's not entirely true. Colostrum, the thinner fluid secreted from the nipples for the first few days, contains lots of antibodies. The true milk, once it comes in, doesn't really contain that many. So breast feeding extends maternal immunity briefly, but it doesn't help all that much later on.

There are other advantages to breast feeding, too numerous to list, but the disease protection one is a bit overrated.

This woman who believes that breast feeding will continue to protect her six-month-old from any and all illness is wrong. And there was no need for her to be rude, either.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
Actually, Whiskersonkittens, that's not entirely true. Colostrum, the thinner fluid secreted from the nipples for the first few days, contains lots of antibodies. The true milk, once it comes in, doesn't really contain that many. So breast feeding extends maternal immunity briefly, but it doesn't help all that much later on.

There are other advantages to breast feeding, too numerous to list, but the disease protection one is a bit overrated.
I have to disagree with this post. It's simply not true--there are numerous studies that show the different types of antibodies (such as white blood cell, and antibodies of secretory IgA class, bifidus factor, and fatty acids to name a few) that remain in mature milk, not just the colostrum.

To the original poster--with all this being said, breastfeeding for ANY amount of time is giving your baby a wonderful gift, so be proud of yourself for doing that! And like I stated earlier, just because this woman's baby is currently being breastfed, it doesn't make her invincible from getting sick.
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Old 06-28-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

amelu HB User

I breastfed my twins girls exclusively for 10 months and they received frozen BM until they were 11 months old and they got their first cold/ear infection at 3 months. They also had roseola while I was BF and RSV. I have extremely strong immunity ( I haven't been sick in probably 15 years ) but my girls still got sick. just wanted to let you know BF is great but it doesn't protect against everything. Just ignore the rude comment, what goes around comes around.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Accutane2X HB User

Thanks for the replies! Great info shared on this board. That's why I keep coming back!

Closed Thread