It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2009, 09:09 AM   #1
(female)

jess97 HB User
Addison's and Pregnancy ???

Hi all,

I'm a young woman with Addisons and am wondering about pregnancy. I would like to get pregnant soon and am wondering if I need to find an OBGYN that deals with Addisons or is any OBGYN capable of dealing with this illness. I've already called like 20 different OBGYN's and so far no doctor has dealt with Addisons and Pregnancy. I've heard that when your delivering, I would have to be on an iv dosage of steroids. Is that true? Has anyone been pregnant with Addisons? How did you find your OBGYN that knew the illness? What special circumstances did you have to deal with?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
(female)

reemu HB User
Re: Addison's and Pregnancy ???

i have had the exact same questions for a while. my endocrinologist has never treated a pregnant woman before, and I think it's pretty rare to find someone with experience in treating Addison's whether an OBGYN or endo. everything i've read suggests you have the right idea - IV steroids during labor and delivery. preventing dehydration and vomiting is also important while pregnant, seems like it could be a real problem with addison's. if you find anything else out, would you post it please?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
(female)

jess97 HB User

Hi:-) Sorry - I totally forgot i posted this! I'm about to chat with a High-Risk OBGYN about it. I will definetly keep you posted. Will you do the same if you find anything out?

Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
(female)

reemu HB User

Of course, if I find anything out I'll let you know. I think a high risk obgyn teamed up with our endocrinologist should be able to work things out. Online information is very conflicted, I would love to hear someone's personal experiences.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
(female)

reemu HB User

the one thing i have been warned about by more than one endocrinologist is to gain weight before becoming pregnant. I don't know about you, but even on more than enough replacement steroids I'm still underweight, and chances are good that we will lose weight during the beginning of pregnancy due to nausea, and other factors.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
(female)

k_c_lady HB User

I have been pregnant with addisons. It was a planned pregnancy. I worked with my OBGYN amd my endo before hand. Make sure your levels are good all around. Start taking your vitamins before too.
I was "double" high risk with addisons & with twins. we ended up loosing the boys at 5 months. Mine was a freak things that wasn't meant to be.
Anyway, yes the IV dose is correct.

Also, I lost 20 lbs with my other son from the vomiting in the first trimester.
One thing will save you! ZOFRAN!! they come in melt a ways. Kinda like what the kids have. They are wonderful! Pricey, but great. They did not have any side affects for me. Not sure about others. Others would make me sleep for 12 hours.
That's all I can think about for now. Sorry I have not checked the boards for a while!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 AM   #7
(female)

Natalie91 HB User

Hi All,

I was pregnant last year,

I miscarried in january, but i still had to give birth to the baby,

i was on a drip so i didnt dehydrate,
and had to double up my medication during the labour,

My endrocrine doctor was also my midwife.

In every hospital there will be one person who knows how to do both,
in the hospital i went to there were two so i was extremely lucky.

But i will say before getting pregnant please put on weight because if you dont and your ill you will lose alot of weight.

After you have passed the 13 week stage you can ask your doctor for some anti sickness tablets aswell which do help,

hope this helps you

Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
(female)

jess97 HB User

Hey all.
Thanks for the ideas and stories... I found out that I'm pregnant! I'm twelve weeks along right now and boy has it been a wild ride! I was fine until I started getting sick at like 8 weeks. Went to the er twice for fluids. Thank God my OB knew another alternative. She had a PICC line put in my arm so that a Home Health Nurse can come show me how to do fluids at home on a nightly basis. Also, she put me on a constant Zofran pump 24 hours a day. The IV fluids and the zofran pump have really helped me. Even all despite all that, I lost 10 punsd in three weeks. I've started to gain it back - so that's good. My OB is working closely with my osteopath (who manages my Addisons) i had to increase my Cortef by 5mg as having it too low can contribute to nasea(sp?). My baby is doing great..at good height and developement. I'm so excited and i'm praying that God will bring everything to perfection. Just thought I'd share what's going on with me. Hope everyone is well!!

Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
(female)

jenni12 HB User

Congrats Jess that's so exciting your pregnant! I just had our first in June, and let me tell you it was hard and still is! The pregnancy from the time I was only 5 weeks to 15 weeks was aweful, I was on my back 24-7 and lost 20 pounds in 2 weeks, I was 26 weeks by the time I was at my weight before I got pregnant. The rest of the time was not bad it was hard but rest all the time! Never over due it, and sleep if you can, cause once that sweet heart comes you won't! The labor was a snap, get an epidoral and oxygen and your fine, they increased my prednisone before and after the birth. I was swollen for days though, my feet were trunks! The thing I had the hardest time with was a couple days after the birth, your body has been through a lot and it's still healing and your up non stop feeding the baby and trying to take care of it, keep eating! My meds seemed off, I didn't have an appitite at all and I was so sleepy, I was trying to breast feed too, and I wasnt eating enough to get my milk in, so my body was basically going into a crisis. Be so careful, get your rest, ask for help, when your baby sleeping you sleep! Take extra meds during that time your body is healing it needs it. My milk never really came in, I think it was the meds, but formula is what saved me from not getting sick, it helped my baby sleep better and me! I've been a proud mommy for 6 months now, and it's amazing how much you love them, addisons is hard to deal with everyday but it's so worth it, just take care of yourself and get your sleep!
Good luck! If you have any questions just ask I was just there, I wish someone was there telling me!
Jen

Closed Thread