It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

fatoom90 HB User
Breastfeeding...low milk flow!!!

I've been breastfeeding since 3 months (when i gave birth), & now I'm back to work since 2 weeks. The last week was the hardest on me whe I got toothache which was dental abscess. I used Augmentin antibiotic in addition to switching between 3 types of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, & Dafalgan codein (500mg paracetamol+30mg codein). I stopped breast feeding for fear to harm my little girl. Now after a week I want to resume feeding my baby but I think that my milk is hardly coming out (really got less than before). How can I get it back to form & flow in the same amounts before???
Is my baby suckling will get it back to normal???
Help plz I am so depressed about this issue

Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
(female)

cbpllane HB User
Re: Breastfeeding...low milk flow!!!

Hi, I'm not an expert but I made it 12 months with my first child and 9 with my second and had similiar experiences with both. First I would say drink so much water that you feel like you are going to float, it will help. Also, go to your local health food store and get Fenugreek capsules and Brewer's Yeast capsules. The person at the store should be able to tell you how many a day to take based upon your body size. These are all natural ways to increase your milk supply, but it will take a few days for them to kick in. Also, there is a health food tea, I can't remember who makes it, but it's called Mother's Milk and you drink it at bedtime and it helps a lot as well. I would also suggest having her suckle in between feedings for just a few days to jump start your production. Hope that helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
(female)

Betty Bee HB User
Re: Breastfeeding...low milk flow!!!

I nursed for 12 months. There were times when my supply was lower than other times. Drinking alot of water will definitely help. Are you pumping at least every 4 hours? If so, increase it to every 2-3 hours during work just until you get the milk supply back. Did you stop cold turkey while you weren't feeling well? If so, I'm not sure how long it will take to increase your supply. I was told by my lactation consultant to pump as much as I could while I was away from the baby and nurse the baby as much as you can. Stress can also cause a decrease in milk. I noticed during tough days at work I would produce only 1/2 of what I normally produced. Good Luck! I would consult your doctor before taking any herbal remedy from the health food store or anything over the counter. Herbs are not regulated by the FDA and some doctors are against any herbal supplements for many reasons.

Closed Thread