It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Still breastfeeding! Help

i have tried everything to get my 9 month old on formula! I am losing to much weight because I can;t keep up with the calorie intake. I don't know what else to try!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
(male)

mntn HB User
Re: Still breastfeeding! Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywort View Post
i have tried everything to get my 9 month old on formula! I am losing to much weight because I can;t keep up with the calorie intake. I don't know what else to try!
I'm far from being an expert-- but, having a 13 month old, and having done a lot of reading and discussion together with my wife, I don't think you necessarily need to go to formula. We were doing quite a lot of solid food by 9 months, and our boy slowed down his nursing naturally to just a couple of times a day. He's still nursing now at 13 months, and my wife is working on weaning, but the majority of his calories come from regular meals like we eat--chicken, veggies, fruits, yogurt, cheese, just to name a few things.

I'd talk to your pedi, too. And, eat more yourself!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-22-2010, 12:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

Which formulas have you tried? I found with my 3 that there are certain brands they absolutely refused to touch, no matter how hungry they might've been! Enfamil was the WORST!

Surprisingly, it's the Walmart brand, Parent's Choice formula they all liked the best (a huge blessing, since it's about half the cost of regular brands!), with the Target brand formula coming in second, but that one was always iffy!

The next question is what bottles have you tried? My first didn't care, she'd drink out of anything. My second had a hard time with some bottles, but loved the Playtex nursers. My third liked Playtex nursers at first, but it didn't take her long to take whatever bottles I had available. Also, make sure the flow is right for your baby (fast, medium or slow).

Last, when do you try to feed your baby? If you wait until your baby is starving and screaming for food, baby is already well past the, "lets try something new," phase and not only wants food, but wants the comfort of breastfeeding as well. Pay attention to baby's schedule and try offering a bottle 5-10 minutes earlier than you would normally start to breastfeed.

One more last thing.... the previous poster is sooo right! There is no reason why your baby should be sucking the life out of you! At 9 months old, baby should be getting ready for table foods! Definitely start baby on cereal and jar foods!

Hope this helps!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
(female)

jessluvsflowers HB User

I nursed my son til he was exactly 2 years of age.

What may work is set the baby in a bouncy seat and feed them the formula. Dont' let the baby lay up to your chest because they will smell your milk...yes...through your clothes.

My son wouldn't do pacifiers...nothin, but me. But when his dad would hold him i would express milk and let him feed him by bottle, the baby would never take a bottle from me, because he could smell my smell and he would go nutz.

So i would try keeping the baby away from your chest and body during feeding time. Don't give him any other options. Once the baby gets hungry enough it will take that bottle. It sounds mean, but a child will never starve themselves..even as a baby they know to eat and they will not go hungry. They are just going to do whatever it takes to break you down so they get their way.

lol good luck. stick with it mama. very soon that baby will give into your wishes

Old 06-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User

Thanks! I want to stop breastfeeding all together, She was put on rice cereal at 7 months, She likes it and sweet potatoes! She is a very picky eater! I NEVER went through this with my first! at 4 months she was eating cereal and then fruits and veggies at 6 months. Not sure why my kids doc waited on the solids with this one. She will REFUSE food! I even video taped how she is with food. Not sure if it the teething giving her issues. She has 4 teeth and more coming in. I have tried every bottle, Breastflow was the last one I bought. I have not tried another formula, We have tried similac and carnation, she hated carnation! She has gained weight just had a blood test done. I tell the doc how difficult she is and she said to keep trying different foods and that she is healthy. I really appreciate all the advice. I feel as though I am doing something wrong .
They are just going to do whatever it takes to break you down so they get their way.
SOOOOO TRUE! AND I ALWAYS BREAK DOWN

Closed Thread