It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #1
(male)

mntn HB User
Breastfeeding and sex drive

Is it possible that my wife is experiencing a low sex drive because she is breastfeeding? Pre-baby, she had an extremely healthy sex drive (probably greater than mine), and post-baby it seems non-existent. The baby is 13 months and she's getting ready to stop breastfeeding (although she's having trouble letting go of it, and that's probably for another post). I've read that breastfeeding can alter some hormones and result in a lower sex drive.

I'm sure there's a lot of other stuff going on, for both of us. We're both extremely tired all of the time, and it's about all we can do to work, keep the house standing, and make sure the little guy is receiving everything he needs from us.

But, still, I'm hoping that after breastfeeding, our sex life returns somewhat. We're still having sex, but her enthusiasm for it is far from what it used to be.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
(female)

Basswife HB UserBasswife HB User
Re: Breastfeeding and sex drive

So much changes for a woman after having a baby and a lower sex drive is completely normal. Being tired and all the normal stresses won't help. My best advice is to have an evening together. Plan it and pamper one another. If you spend quality time together then the sex will follow.

Yes the breastfeeding could make a difference. Boobs change when you feed your child, they become more of a tool rather than part of sex, which changes how things happen, not to mention the hormones. Talk it through with your partner, time will help - Trust me it gets better and returns in time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
(male)

kentuckyredneck HB User
Re: Breastfeeding and sex drive

mntn-
I stumbled onto this site looking for an answer to a similar question. My wife and I have 5 kids and they all showed up in succession. When adding up the gestation period and breastfeeding "nonmenstrating" periods, my wife only really had about 9 periods or so. Her sex drive was what I would call decent before pregnancy, and during pregnancy it certainly waned off. As as stated earlier, her breasts were for feeding only. It does get better though, I got a vasectomy and now we have what she would call "scare free" sex. I would be able to describe the lifestyle in a very similar way. Wea re both busy, with vocation and family. Setting time aside for just us is so hard to do. At 42, I'm realizing that great sex for my wife starts about two days ahead of great sex for me. We joke that foreplay for her is a clean kitchen, caught up laundry, and a vaccumed house, which might take 2 days!

Closed Thread