It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

justmel30 HB User
Nursing tops?

Ok, so I've tried to nurse all of my babies so far. I was most successful with my 1st. I was able to nurse him about 50 percent of the time and I did this for about 6 months. My second son, I was able to nurse about 25 percent for about 4 months and my third son about 15 percent for about 2 months. I got progressively more nervous with each child. I was terrified the baby wasn't getting enough, then we would go to the doc and they would say I had to suppliment because the baby was losing weight. What a nightmare! I sooooooooooo wanted to be able to do this. And I felt like such a failure. Well, this time, I want to do it 100 percent for at least the first 6 months. I have read books, I've talked to the breastfeeding people at the hospital, I have downloaded recipes for cookes and drinks that are supposed to help you produce more milk, and I am completely prepared. I really feel like it was my own anxiety, and not trusting my body and giving things enough time that caused me to fail the other times. My question is however, should I invest in nursing tops? Has anyone ever done this? I never have......but now with a 9 year old son in the house.....I think it's time to play it a little more discretely if at all possible. Do nursing tops help at all with this? And if so, where do I go for some not uglier then sin ones? Because so far, all of them I've looked at..........well I wouldn't burry an enemy in one! They are terrible looking, and I want something that is comfy for around the house....not short sleeved because I live in michigan and I'm due in October, and somewhat cute. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: Nursing tops?

I'd purchase a couple of nursing tanks and wear them under your regular shirts. I am pretty sure they sell them at Walmart and Target, but if not, you can get them at Motherhood Maternity.... I believe they usually run around $10-$15.... and if you don't have a Motherhood nearby, their online store is pretty efficient.

Nursing tanks will give you the discreetness you desire, without having to spend a fortune on nursing tops. Then if you find that you are doing well with the nursing, you might invest in a couple of nursing tops later on (I bought a couple of nicer ones to wear to church and for going out). BUT, don't buy the tanks until after your milk comes in and you know how big your boobs are going to get (unless there is a one size fits all). My boobs jump from an NA size, to a FF size when I'm pregnant and nursing!!! Ridiculous!!

As far as being able to nurse.... it's supposed to be the most natural and easy thing in the world, right? (that was purely sarcasm!!!) I think what helped me with my first, was pumping a few ounces after she would finish eating.... I started doing that within the first couple of weeks and by the time she was a couple of months old, I was pumping 6-8 ounces from each side! I guess I tricked my body into making more??? Anyway, it might be something you could try if your supply seems to be struggling.

But the main key is just to RELAX and let your body do what it's made to do. And don't stress about it.... breast feeding is great if you can do it, but I know plenty of very healthy well adjusted kids who were never breast fed!

Closed Thread