It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
(female)

sarah793 HB User
How do you stop breastmilk production?

Hi ive been pumping milk for about 1 and a half weeks and because of some personal reasons am going to now stop,how exactly do i get it to stop and about how long does it take? Because the pump i have is from the hospital so im trying to decide how long i need to hold on to it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: How do you stop breastmilk production?

It shouldn't take too long, just hand express enough milk to remain comfortable, don't pump and empty your breasts that will make even more milk. Be careful you express enough to avoid mastitis but don't pump much anymore.

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lovemybabyboys HB User

Don't quit cold turkey. you will be in major pain. The best way is to stop over a couple of weeks. just decrease the number of times you pump every couple of days.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahalbright View Post
Hi ive been pumping milk for about 1 and a half weeks and because of some personal reasons am going to now stop,how exactly do i get it to stop and about how long does it take? Because the pump i have is from the hospital so im trying to decide how long i need to hold on to it
It takes awhile.
I breastfed my son for about eight months, then stopped.
I recall that I could still squeeze a little milk out- a drop or two- even two or three years later. Then eventually one day I found that I couldn't, and it was completely gone.
I have no idea if this is normal or not.

Last edited by Kali333; 01-10-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
(female)

Emral HB User

What I would do is only pump it out when you can no longer handle how full they get. Then little by little pump less. The less you pump the less milk you will produce. It shouldn't take that long for your milk to lighten up then deminish. No more then a few weeks depending on how much milk you are producing.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
(female)

carruiz HB User

All i know is there is a medicine that you will take inorder for it to stop.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
(female)

Ninjaqueen HB User

Hi There! Actually what I found really effective was the herb Sage!! No meds required for me and I am a mother of 4 Also, please refrain from stimulating nipples at this time. If your husband or boyfriend likes this type of play, it will only keep it going while you are trying to dry up!! Best of luck to you)

Closed Thread