It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
OW.... please help!

My baby is 4 months old. She is my 4th daughter. I breast fed all my other 3 girls and we didn't have any real problems. So with baby 4, we started out okay, a few latching on problems because of engorgement, but we worked through it. All of a sudden, over the last week, she is killing me! My left side is in SO MUCH PAIN! And she wants to eat all day long, which makes me think she hit a growth spurt, but why the sudden pain? It's horrible! I get nauseous because it hurts so bad to feed her on the left.

Obviously something has changed with her latch, but I don't know how to fix it. I'm pumping the left side and trying to keep up, but it's slowing down. The right side is okay, but that's changed a bit too.... not bad like the left, but just less comfortable.

Any help or ideas???

Old 01-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: OW.... please help!

This post might be a little late, but I just wanted to say don't give up!

Have you tried different nursing positions on that side? Sometimes the football hold is easier to get a good latch with. You can also try nursing laying down.

Are you sure it's the latch, or could it be a nipple 'bleb' (like a white pimple-type thing), or thrush? Those can both cause extreme pain. Does the nipple look normal when she unlatches, or is it 'lipstick' shaped?
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

It is lipstick shaped, but that's how it's always been with all of my girls. For some reason, that is how they eat, and it's never been a problem before. I took a week off and just pumped and bottle fed and they have healed a bit, so we're back to trying again.

Something I realized is part of the reason we were having problems was because I'd taken sudafed a few times back then and I think it dried me up a bit! As long as I have a full boob to offer her, she hasn't hurt me again.

Any ideas on how to solve the lipstick issue?

Old 01-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User

It sounds like she needs a deeper latch. I would suggest just really working on getting her to open that mouth as wide as possible before she latches on. Different positions could help.

If that still doesn't work, try contacting a IBCLC lactation consultant, or you can try Le Leche League for some hands on help.
Our newest bundle, Brody Anderson! - February 09'

Last edited by moderator2; 01-24-2011 at 07:40 PM.

Closed Thread