It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Breastfeeding Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
(female)

Pyxelle HB User
adderall while breastfeeding???

Okay, I would like to chime in here. Please bear with the long post, but I have some personal experience with ADD meds and pregnancy/nursing that I would really like to relate.

I am a mom of a twelve year old boy and one year old daughter. My son was born before I was diagnosed with ADD and I nursed him until almost two. I love the bonding, and the benefits of BF'ing are amazing, so of course when my daughter was conceived two years ago I fully intended to breastfeed.

However, this was after I had been diagnosed and had been treated for ADHD and anxiety disorders and had been well controlled on medication for years. Because I was nervous about the effects during pregnancy, I tried to cut out all my meds (other than zoloft) at the advice of my OB/GYN. It was a disaster.

I was in online school and in one month went from an A average to a D-. My son was worried about me because I was so on edge and unable to cope that he actually would come home from school, help clean the house, and would give me a dozen hugs a day trying to make me feel better (I have an awesome son

I hated that he felt he needed to take care of me, and that of course made things worse. When I went to my OB/GYN appointment next time, she was very concerned in the changes in me and recommended I go back on my ADHD meds at a reduced dose, as well as giving me a very low dose emergency prescription for Xanax in case of severe anxiety attacks.

She explained to me that while the restriction on these meds are primarily precautionary, since studies on them aren't conclusive, the studies of the effects of massive stress ARE well documented and that can be devestating to an unborn baby's health. So I began taking my medication, sparingly and only when absolutely necessary, and my stress levels quickly became much more manageable. My doc was happy because she felt the meds were a much lesser risk than the constant panic attacks and depression my untreated ADD and anxiety was causing.

After the baby was born, I was of course planning to nurse, but now the medication question popped again. I talked with the pediatrician, my OB/GYN, psychiatrist and GP about staying on my reduced medication schedule nursing. My OB/GYN was supportive, as was my psychiatrist, and surprisingly, my pediatrician. The only one who was not was my GP, who felt it was an unnecessary risk. I decided it was three to one, particularly because my pediatrician told me she firmly believed that small amounts of the medication in breast milk did not pose any real risk (as long as there was no sensitivity) and that the negative impact of me losing my ability to function well was far more serious as a risk. She is a big breastfeeding proponent, and in her opinion even with the minute amount of med that might pass into the milk breast milk was still the far better choice when compared to formula.

So, long story finally to a close, my daughter is one year old now and still nursing. I take my ADD meds when needed, even have moved up a bit towards my previous most effective dosage. All docs have been monitoring me and my daughter, and I am thrilled to say we are both doing well. She is a bright, beautiful, healthy girl who has never had any health problems at all. She is perfect (I may be biased) and I am very comfortable with my decisions. My husband has been awesomely supportive through this all as well.

With proper medical supervision, I think that the benefits of the medication can outweigh the risks...as I said, stress is clinically PROVEN to cause major health problems for unborn children and there are so many amazing benefits to breastmilk that even with the (very very small) risk of nursing while taking ADD meds it is still is superior to formulas - the immunities passed along, milk that changes to meet baby's needs as they age so their food is always custom-perfect, the lowered risk of future obesity, and so many other benefits are all amazing!

As long as you are open with your doctors so that they can monitor you and the baby, I believe you nurse safely while maintaining a modified medication regimen. And remember, if your doctor is very much against it, you can always look around for a second opinion, and my psychiatrist said that more than once he has called ob/gyns and pediatricians to consult with them about acceptable medication regimens. Maybe you could talk to your doctors about something like that.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-28-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User
Re: adderall while breastfeeding???

Interesting story, thank you for sharing. I too have ADD and take adderall, but I don't take it while I am pregnant or nursing.... but it's a question that I've pondered many times. I took adderall and nursed my last daughter, but I only nursed her first thing in the morning before I took my first dose, and I think in the middle of the night, too.... but I didn't start until my baby was 5-6 months old.... or maybe she was 7 months? I can't remember now. Either way, she seemed to do well with it. I'm considering a similar thing with my newest baby, but I don't know yet.

Can you tell me how much you started with and how much you take now? Is your baby irritable or moody at all? That is the only thing that I was unsure of with my other baby.... when I started adderall again, she started getting more irritable.... but she was also getting ready to cut teeth, so it's hard to say what the real cause was....

Anyway, thanks again for sharing! Anything else you can tell me about your experience would be wonderful!

Old 01-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
(female)

Pyxelle HB User
Smile Re: adderall while breastfeeding???

Right now I take about half of my usual dosage (20 mg, usually) but less frequently then previous to my pregnancy/nursing. I actually am on a pretty high dose regularly, so I usually take my IR dose 3x a day but right now I aim for once a day, although I have occasionally had days where I take it twice.

As for my daughter, she seems to have had literally NO affects from the medication. No excessive wakefulness, irritability, fussy tummys, loss of appetite, moodiness, or changes in nursing habits. I actually paid close attention (well, of course ) when starting back on and so did my husband and we couldn't see any sort of effect on her at all, truthfully. Nor did we see any sort of reaction when I had to go off my meds for a week while I had a really bad chest infection (baby didn't get it, thank goodness, though I nursed her through it.)

She did have some fussiness while teething, too, but I'm sure that it wasn't related to my meds! Teething is a tough time for babies!

Hope that helped!

Old 01-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi I do not suggest Adderall for anyone. Adderall can cause a permanent movement disorder. Many medicines are passed through mother's milk into the baby. What if both people end up with movement disorder in the end? A baby could then potentially end up with a movement disorder for the next 99 years in theory. These movements are very annoying I might add. In my opinion it might just be a bit better to put up with the ADD a bit at least while the baby is being breastfed. It is one thing for a person to knowingly put up with the movement herself but quite another to cause another human to get it without prior permission since a baby cannot speak for itself yet. Have a nice day!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

marisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB Usermarisuela HB User

What kind of movement disorder? I've taken adderall for over a decade and have never heard of that before. Is it something you have experienced yourself firsthand?

Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
(female)

karensk HB User

Do some research and search on the forums of Dr. Thomas Hale, who authors the book "Medications and Mother's Milk." Even if he does not recommend Adderall, he would have an alternate medication to try with a good safety record.

He is a doctor who has made the safety of medications and their compatibility with breastfeeding his life's work. Don't trust second-hand information, go right to the source. There are forums on his website where health professionals can ask specific questions and the doc himself will respond. Good luck!

Closed Thread