It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2004, 06:24 AM   #1

gyarados HB User
Ankle Ligament Injury

Dear all,

I have ruptured a ligament in my right ankle(RTF I think) and torn a ligament in my right ankle..

I have already made an appointment to go for surgery, re-constructive surgery..

Actually, I can move around and run with ease.. I have heard from friends that after the op my right ankle will be very stiff and very difficult to recover.. He added that he had a friend who went for similar surgery and after 4 months still had difficulty just walking!!!

Do you all think I should go for the surgery? Will my right ankle be agile and flexible again(up to 100 percent maybe?) after the surgery? Or will I end up with a permanent stiff ankle forever?

Please assist.. Thanks

Regards
gyaradoz

Old 09-02-2004, 06:25 AM   #2

gyarados HB User
Re: Ankle Ligament Injury

I actually have all the time to recover from the Operation because I am currently a soldier, serving National Service... I still have 9 months to my ORD(Operational-Ready Date).. i.e. to my freedom..

I will not mind staying at home for months , and I prefer that than to go for that stupid army..Some more I do not need to pay for the Operation as I have injured myself in camp..

What I am more concerned of is that my ankle is not as agile as before and be very stiff.. As time goes by, will my ankle heel? Will it be as agile and flexible as before?

Please assist.. Thank You..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2004, 10:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Ankle Ligament Injury

The surgery does have a long recovery period, is painful, and limits your range of motion afterward. I had it done in March of this year. I think I ended up having the "best-case scenario" recovery: no complications, relatively fast, etc. But anyway, I was on crutches for 6 weeks. Then I did physical therapy for a month or two. My range of motion is pretty good now. I don't have any limitations with dorsiflexion or plantarflexion (pointing your toes downward and the opposite movement). The only movement that is really limited is inversion (the typical movement that leads to rolling your ankle, where you step on the outside of your foot). But that's okay, because you don't really need too much of that for normal activities. The surgery made an amazing difference for me. I had sprained my ankle 10 years ago and didn't want to have surgery then. It was very loose and everytime I did stuff I would roll it or it would cause me to fall and then it would be painful. So the surgery for me was a very good decision. But there are also lots of possible complications, plus the healing time, so it's not something to be taken lightly. Check out the "foot problems" board; there are lots of threads on ankle ligament surgery there (some of the procedure names are Brostrom and Evans). Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to kehorner For This Useful Post:
Giamarlize (01-10-2012)
Closed Thread