It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Smashed hand in car door.

Today I did not pull my hand out of the way in time of my car door. It did not shut completely on it but enough to cause my right pinky finger to blow up like a balloon. I have iced it for about two hours total today. I have to type for my job and it's pretty intense there. They time us on speed. Is there anything I can do besides ice and ibuprofen that would bring the swelling and pain down. What if I took and Ace bandage and wrapped it. I am trying to keep it moving and that also seems to be helping. I can tell nothing is broken because I can move it without extreme pain but pounding on a keyboard tomorrow for 5 hours could really be painful. I am afraid when I wake up tomorrow it is going to be even more swolen.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Smashed hand in car door.

Go to the dr. or ER to (a) make sure nothing is broken and (b) get the injury documented so that your employer cannot hold it against you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Thanks for responding. It is two days since it happened and it's feels almost completely better today. I did go to work the next day and I could not type with my pinky but I can today. Yeah I probably would have stayed home if I hadn't hurt my back a month ago really bad and already taken two weeks off for that. Both are doing better now though.

Old 03-11-2005, 06:20 AM   #4
(male)

charlodius HB User

Glad you are feeling better. In general, whenever you have this type of injury, it is better to get an x-ray {REMOVED}many people that present for medical care too far after a fracture occurs, and the bones have begun to heal in a position of deformity. When this happens, your only option is to have surgery for the doctor to rebreak the bone and reset it in allignment. If you have no point tenderness at the injury site (when you press on the injury site it no longer hurts), then you probably dont have a fracture.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-11-2005 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Don't reveal anything about yourself that may add undue weight to your opinion .

Old 03-11-2005, 07:14 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Well it's been almost two weeks since it happened. My pinkie does hurt when I push on it but I have no pain when I move it around or type. If it is fractured it looks straight so it will heal fine. I probably would have gone to the doctor normally but like i had mentioned I had been to the doctor 5 times already for my back injury in a two week period of time. My back is getting better each day. I have a disc injury. I have almost no pain now. I was just so sick of going to the doctor. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2006, 03:04 AM   #6
(female)

MistressB HB User

Hi there,
There was a thread about this ages ago but I can't find it to post on. Less serious than above(!) but I shut my thumb in the car door yesterday night. It was really painful, throbbing continuously while I was asleep last night, and made me throw up when it first happened - guess it was a bit of a shock. There is a cut just below the nail, and about half the nail looks like it has blood underneath. It looks quite swollen and feels funny, as if the skin is too tight. Can anyone offer advice? I've been taking arnica to reduce bruising, do I need to go to a doctor? ( read somewhere that if there was blood under nail you had to see a doctor?)

Closed Thread