It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #1
(male)

redeem HB User
broken finger and swelling

i broke my pinky finger 3 weeks ago and the swelling hasnt gotten any better. i neglected to take care of it at first because i thought i had just jammed it. but i guess there was a tiny fracture. anyways, i am in the police academy, and im stessing out that if it doesnt heal soon that i will get kicked out. i cant really bend my figer to make a full fist. what can i do to quicken the healing process and stop the swelling? i heard ice wouldnt help at this point, and all ive been doing is taking ibprofen. would wrapping it do any good? heat? thanks, hope someone can help me

Old 03-14-2005, 04:08 AM   #2
(male)

redeem HB User
Re: broken finger and swelling

does any one know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

My son broke his thumb last year...it was swollen and went to emergency room...they took x-ray and said it wasn't broken...that was on a saturday . went to doctor Monday and x-ray said it was broken. Had to have surgery because it was broken in a growth joint and he was only 13..........doctor said while it was still that swollen you can't see the break....he's good as new...........so get to doctor

Old 03-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

sincerelycas HB User

i broke my pinky finger jan 21st during school. they wanted me to goto the ER right away but i couldnt leave school for some reasons. so they splinted it and the next mornin i went. it was only broken 20%.. and they only cast if its more then %35 or something.. but i had to wear some weird thing.. it swelled horriblely too. but that went down.. iceing is nice i guess. you shouldnt try to bend it yet. a few months later for me.. the dr says not to wear the thing anymore so i dont.. but i cant fully bend it.. he says i might never be able to.. and if i wanted i could take physical therapy.. but we're not paying more $$ for it.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

The swelling still can be helped by ice. I slammed my pinky in my car door 4 weeks ago. I applied ice right away it happened at a convience store so I bought some right there. It still swelled up so I could not bend my pinky. It took about 3 full weeks to be able to bend it all of the way. It's 4 weeks now and it is still a little swollen and hurts if you push on it but just a little bit. Hot water will make it swell up still for instance it I take a hot bath my pinky swells up and throbs. When I ice it it brings the swelling down even after all of this time. Try the ice.

Old 04-06-2005, 02:26 AM   #6
(female)

sungirlcali HB User

These kinds of injuries take time. I broke my foot almost two months ago, and it's STILL swollen (granted it's a foot). I'm in a walking boot and use crutches for balance, but it's swollen and it'll probably be a while before it looks normal again.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #7
(female)

adhedh HB User

I am new to this board, but I was looking to see what other people did for a broken pinky. I felt like I was not doing enough. I broke my pinky 3 weeks ago while out of the country. I went to the hospital 24 hours after it happened and they gave me an enormous splint and said to see an ortho when I returned home. Nine days later I saw my GP here and they gave me a smaller splint and recommended I still see the orthopeadic doctor. Fifteen days after the incident, I finally saw an orthopeadic doctor who told me my fracture was minor so take the splint off because lack of use was worse than using a broken pinky. He also said the swelling would go down in several months! Now, 25 days after hurting my finger, it still hurts, I can not make a fist and it is still swollen, but it is SO much better than it was and no ugly splint. I hope you went to the doctor, even if they told you to pretend it doesn't hurt.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

I smashed my pinky in the car door about a month ago. I did not break it but it still gets swollen. It hurts if I push on it. If I take hot baths it makes it swell more. Put ice on it that brings down the swelling. You need to move your pinky and bend it over and over to get it loosened up again. Don't force it though especially with a fracture. If you can't bend it all the way on it's own then use your other hand to slowly bend your finger. I kept my loose that way. After doing that many many times a day eventually I could bend it all the way normally.

Old 04-12-2005, 09:30 AM   #9
(male)

Nixona HB User

In the past for bad jams and minor breaks doctors have had me just tape the injured finger to the next finger over. I used 1/2" medical tape, two strips wrapped around the meaty portion of the fingers between first & second and second & third knuckles. You should still be able to bend the fingers, but only together. As a football lineman fingers were always getting in the way, and I think I only had teammates in casts and splints when the finger was broken way down at the base...

Closed Thread