It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2005, 11:32 AM   #1

chellsearock HB User
Sprained Ankle and Hairline Fracture.

I was on a trampoline and landed on my ankle wrong with a 2nd degree sprained ankle and a hairline fracture. I can't walk, and my crutches are the most torturing thing ever... Is there any tips to making walking with crutches less painful... and to help speed healing in my ankle?

Thanks.
Chelsea

Old 04-28-2005, 11:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB Userkehorner HB User
Re: Sprained Ankle and Hairline Fracture.

Crutches can be very frustrating! Try to limit the distance you have to go, so you don't have to walk as much. Make sure that they are adjusted properly. They should be a few inches below your armpit, and your elbows should be bent when you walk. You shouldn't actually put any weight on your armpits, as this can cause nerve damage. All of the weight should be going through your wrists. This can cause your wrists and forearms to get sore, so take time to stretch your wrists on occassion.

As for the ankle healing, keep it elevated as much as possible and follow your doctor's orders about how long you should be on crutches and be immobilized. Ankle sprains can be very problematic, so if you follow the directions that should decrease your risk for long term issues.

I hope that helps. Feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 01:10 AM   #3

rockstarmusicia HB User
Re: Sprained Ankle and Hairline Fracture.

I just recently went through your same ordeal, Chelsea. I thought I had a broken / sprained ankle, but the doctor said it was only a second degree sprain which she said is worse than a break. She mentioned that you can't really do anything for it except put ice on it and keep it elevated. Good luck!

Closed Thread