It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2006, 01:44 PM   #1
(female)

nascar HB User
open sore that will not heal!!

I have a open sore under my right breast from having a breast lift. It has been 9 months and I am still having problems with it. It will start to heal and scab over but it comes off and starts bleeding again and this has happened 4 times. It has been 11 months snice my surgery (july 2005) and I still haven't healed. My PS sent me to a wound doctor and he told me to wear a sports bra 24/7 to lift them up to keep the swelling down. I still have swelling on my scars and that's why it's not healing and keep it cover and that it will take 3 to 6 months to heal completely. I can't stand it anymore and I know that I should never had this done!! Does anyone have any other suggestion besides being patenice like my doctor keeps on saying? It's not deep or infected and it look like a scrap that you get on your knee!! What else that I can do to speed up the healing? Thanks!!

Old 06-04-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
(female)

texasbell32 HB User
Re: open sore that will not heal!!

Do you have implants or did you just have a lift? I had the same problem with the healing under one breast but I had implants and a lift. I went to a wound care dr as well and they put this little paper that you cut into strips. It keeps the wound dry and clean and allows for faster healing. I do not remember what it was called. Do you smoke?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2006, 06:46 AM   #3
(female)

nascar HB User

I had a lift with implants and I don't smoke! The wound doctor won't try anything else b/c he thinks snice it heals and showing signs of it why bother. He just tells me to have patience. Well I don't have anymore!!!

Old 06-18-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
(female)

GloryGurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar
I had a lift with implants and I don't smoke! The wound doctor won't try anything else b/c he thinks snice it heals and showing signs of it why bother. He just tells me to have patience. Well I don't have anymore!!!
Hi There, I am not sure what all you have tried already to heal your wound, but I can give you some ideas. First of all, I would definately keep wearing the sports bra or whatever type that you can find that will keep your breasts lifted up and doesnt allow them to come down and cover your wound, as any type of wound that is in an area that is dark, warm and moist is always at great risk for infection and of course takes a very long time to heal.

As your time and lifestyle permits, be sure that your breast is lifted up (and there is no type of material touching your wound) and take your shirt off to expose the wound to the light and air.

At all times be sure that no material is touching or rubbing the wound.
Also, when you have to wear a bra and clothing you could try putting a very thin layer of an antibiotic ointment on it and then cover it with Tegaderm.
You can buy Tegaderm at any pharmacy and if you are not familiar with it, it is self sticking and clear. It is the same product that you will often see on skin tears (fake skin) on the elderly. You can use this with or without the antibiotic ointment. I, myself, would start out using the thin layer of antibiotic ointment covered by the Tegaderm until you see it starting to heal. Then i would use strictly the Tegaderm until healed.

The Tegaderm sticks very well and usually when applied you leave it on until it peels off on its own providing it stays clean and dry underneath. I use it ALL THE TIME on my son. He is severely handicapped and wears diapers. He often gets the same type of wound that you have described except his is always in the crease of his leg.Probably one of the worst areas to try and heal a wound! I care for the wound just as stated above and despite the area always being dark, moist and warm the Tegaderm is the best product i have found to use.

If you dont want to try the method i mentioned above, you could try applying
Hydrocortisone 1% Cream a few times a day and see what results you get with that. Actually the Hydrocortisone cream works very well.

Anyway, hope i may have helped some. I didnt mean to write a book! lol
Good Luck!
GloryGurl

Old 06-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
(female)

nascar HB User

Thanks for the advice!! I will get it today and I hope it heals soon b/c my PS said when it heals he will have to do a scar revision one me and cut out the soar b/c he said it shouldn't take this long to completely heal. I don't really want to be cut again but he said this is the only answer and I don't want to deal with this anymore!! Again thank you so much!!

Old 07-23-2006, 10:22 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

kimann HB User

Nascar~
How are you doing now? I was reading for info on surgical wounds, as I have one that is still open, and I sure sympathise with you. Part of why I'm checking boards and not calling my Doc is that I don't want to pay him $200 to have the priviledge of him looking at it and telling me to be patient and wait, yanno? Patience I have, provided this is ok to still be open. Is your entire incision still open, or just part of it? How deep is it? Did you get some Duoderm? Or anything to help protect it? If you're still struggling, keep it protected, but also check into some vitamin C. I have recently added it to my regimen, and hope it helps. If the duoderm on the wound bothers your breast tissue, try a dab of diaper cream. ONLY on the normal skin, to keep it from rubbing on the duoderm. Take care. Kim

Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 AM   #7
(female)

nascar HB User

Hi! Well it did heal and now it opened back up again! It doesn't stay closed for more than a week and he can't cut out the sore until it stays closed b/c if he did it now it could affect my implant and breast shape. He took a picture and he said he would make some calls to other doctors and I haven't heard back. I did what the other post said to do and use and it did work, and I'm still eating more protein like my PS said but I just don't understand why it will not stay closed. It bleeds alot!! I give up and I will problay have to wear a big band aid on it for the rest of my life!! It was a big mistake having my breasts done and I will never have surgery again unless I need it!! Thanks for responding!!

Closed Thread