It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
(male)

lbb87 HB User
Wounds don't heal properly

I tried googling this but honestly, reading about this kind of stuff makes my stomach queasy. So I'm hoping someone can answer this without going into great detail about what the problem might be.

For the past 6 months to a year, almost any cut, scratch, burn, or bruise I get doesn't seem to heal. I suppose that means that it leaves an ugly scar. I admit that sometimes I do pick at the wound and neglect to put medicine on it but I've done the same in the past and they've healed without leaving a scar.

I'm starting to wonder if I have some immune disorder or some disease I should be concerned about. The obvious answer would be to go to the doctor but since I don't have a job or health insurance, I really can't afford to go. If I thought something was seriously wrong I would go, but not until then. The last time I went which was 3-4 years ago, everything checked out ok.

Any ideas on what this could be? Or if it's normal?

Old 01-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #2
(female)

RightFootMary HB User
Re: Wounds don't heal properly

Two things come to mind. You didn't mention how old you are - I think as we age things don't heal as well as when we were young. Also diabetics don't heal well. Do you have any other symptoms of diabetes (excessive thirst, etc).

Don't know if this helped you any.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
(male)

lbb87 HB User

I'm in my mid-20's. When I briefly googled about wounds not healing I did notice that it listed diabetes, and then I couldn't read anymore about it.

Diabetes worries me because it does run in the family. My father was recently tested for it and he doesn't have it but needs to be careful because he's on the verge of getting it (or something like that).

I was last tested about 3-4 years ago and my tests came back normal. I do have some of the symptoms for diabetes such as frequent urination, extreme hunger, increased fatigue, and irritability. But I also have many symptoms for a thyroid disorder which also runs in the family. I suspect that I do have a thyroid disorder that can't being diagnosed by a blood test. I also have three sleep disorders and depression which can cause some of those symptoms.

I guess I'll have to take better care of myself and see if my wounds heal better. I'm actually worried about a bruise that I have. I was bit by a dog (not my fault) about 2 weeks ago and while it was a superficial wound (nothing more than a scrape), I developed a gigantic bruise at least 6 inches wide/long. It's pretty much gone away except for an outer ring but the area where the dog bit me has swollen up or something because there's a lump. I get very queasy if I try to feel it so I can't tell exactly what it is or how bad it is. I don't know if this is normal or not.

Even if I go to the doctor, that will cause problems for me and the owner of the dog and either way I'm seriously screwed (no money for the doctor and legal problems with dog owner). But the wound doesn't look like it's infected so that's good.

Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 AM   #4
(female)

yvonneoct12th HB User

If Thryroid disorders run in your family then you probly do have them. As for being diabetic although it might not show up in your blood test it right away chances are you are more than likely to have insulin resistance in the begining which is diabetis type 2. I have both symptoms are increased thirst
increased hunger, fatigue, increased urination, especially at night, weight loss/weight gain blurred vision sores that do not heal . You become very suseptible to infection.

I had these pair of sandals that were so cute but they rubbed on the side of my foot because they were new and werent broken in yet. I got this tiny little bruise on the side of my foot....well this was last summer in May and I still have the darn bruise. It just takes a long time for me to heal, I recently got my tonsils out last oct and I can tell you that Im still healing. Yes you should be concerned about your health especially with both thyroid and diabetes that runs in your family.

Dont take this lightly, I have an aunt who had both also, she ate what she wanted and didnt excersize and basically ignored it.. then she got a ingrown toenail that got infected in her big toe.. well they removed her toe 3months ago, and now that wound is having trouble healing. Dont delay seeing a dr because of insurance, save the money you would normally use to go to the movies or eat out and do see a Dr.

Closed Thread