It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
(female)

clarrysage HB User
Angry 3rd Degree Burns

My brother was severely injured with third degree burns when a gas tank he was working on fell and exploded. He was tranferred to a burn center three hours from home, and had two surgeries involving skin grafts.

After 9 days, he was discharged home and workman's comp set up home nursing care. The condition he was in, we felt he should have been transferred to a rehab center and not home. It's just him and his wife and she's in stage IV cancer and on chemo treatments, and not well herself. Daily, we're required to bath him before the nurses come and his wife has to daily do laundry, washing sheets, towels, etc. Nurses change the dressings; They come not equipped with the right medications (salves, right size bandages, gauze,etc.) We're required to pick up salves at the local pharmacy. Also, a PT has been assigned to him several days a week. He's been home now 8 days. Insurance Co. not coming through with required supplies. We complain and they say their vendor is out of a particular bandage and they will let us know when and where they find it?????!!!! Earlier this week, nurse said he has developed pustucles (sp) in several places. Tue. he has a check-up w/the Dr. and I'm hoping they keep him there and treat him. Currently, several different nurses come, instead of one nurse who has experience seeing the burns daily to see the progression or regression of healing.

He's also on high doses of hydrocodone and we're afraid of him becoming addicted. Still has a lot of pain.

I hear serious infections can occur with serious burns.
Anyone have similar experience with 3rd degree burns and skin grafts? What kind of infections can someone in his condition get?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User
Re: 3rd Degree Burns

First...

If this is a W/C injury he needs to register his case with the state he lives in... the insurance company will not do this, he has to. As long as he is not registered he is not under the protection of his State Workman's Compensation Commission... as soon as he is under that protection the Commission will help enforce the laws and he will get better care.

Usually I do not recomend hiring a Lawyer specializing in W/C so soon, but his is a case that will have long lasting effects and he needs a little legal pressure behind him... what he is going through is criminal.

Keep reciepts for everything, and I mean everything because the W/C insurance must reimburse for every item... bandaids, gauze, medication, tape, creams, ointments, you name it as well as pay for mileage to and from Dr's appointments and the hospital.

I am sorry, but I am just so angry... he should not be going through this like this... I am shocked my the number of posts I come across where W/C insurance companies run all over people... the sad fact is that the insurance company and the employer are not about to tell the employee that they are the one that needs to register through the state... and that they are not registered just because they get a weekly check... you have to contact the Workman's Compensation Commission and do it yourself or it does not get done and you have no protection under the law from these crimes against decency!

I hope that your brother heals quickly with no infections and that the rest of his life is one pain free.

As for the pain meds... there is little that can be done about dependancy at this time, he needs those pain meds to make it through the day and I doubt that they do more than just take the edge off. As he heals and the pains lessen he can slowly wean off the meds, for right now, though, he needs them... don't bring up addiction to him or try to make him wait longer between pills... I bet he is already worrying about that enough on his own and trying to increase the time between pills will only make them less effective because the levels will have to build back up in his system.

(Please do not think that I am angry at you or him or any of your family... my anger is directed towrads those who 'accidentally' fail to tell injured workers that they are the ones that have to register their on the job injuries with their State.)

Last edited by penybobeny; 07-29-2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Old 08-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #3
(female)

clarrysage HB User

Yes this is a WC injury. How does one register their on the job injuries with their state? He lives in PA. They have been sending him bi- weekly checks.
but we don't know when that will end. (Also, his wife is in stage IV ovarian cancer, and not doing well at all).

We kept all the receipts and sent them in and WC told us they won't pay
for lodging, meals, and "they'll have to check on the mileage issue." They don't know about that yet. I told them to be prepared because he's no where near better and there will be many 3 1/2 trips to that hospital for Dr. care and follow up. He is now wearing a compression suit for the top part of his body that is long sleeved and w. separate gloves. He must wear this 23.5hrs a day. He will need re-fitted every 3 mo as the spandex/nylon garment will strech out and it needs to fit tightly. When the legs heal he will also be fitted for a garment for that body part. His skin grafts on both legs are still green/yellowish looking and still open sores which are painful.

He goes back to the Dr. on Aug. 23.

This has been a lot of out- of- the- pocket expenses for the family! His wife stayed with him at hospital as he lives more than 3 hours away and he had two skin graft surgeries during that time. WC won't pay for this lodging. I
agree it its criminal. Oh, yes they have agreed to pay for the bandage scissors, cocoa butter, bath mat--small items-- (How big of them). WC is not our friend I agree. They have been so disorganized and downright rude when I've talked with him. They are very defensive. I feel that's because they know they are wrong and they get their backs up.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

penybobeny HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarrysage View Post
Yes this is a WC injury. How does one register their on the job injuries with their state? He lives in PA. They have been sending him bi- weekly checks.
but we don't know when that will end. (Also, his wife is in stage IV ovarian cancer, and not doing well at all).

We kept all the receipts and sent them in and WC told us they won't pay
for lodging, meals, and "they'll have to check on the mileage issue." They don't know about that yet. I told them to be prepared because he's no where near better and there will be many 3 1/2 trips to that hospital for Dr. care and follow up. He is now wearing a compression suit for the top part of his body that is long sleeved and w. separate gloves. He must wear this 23.5hrs a day. He will need re-fitted every 3 mo as the spandex/nylon garment will strech out and it needs to fit tightly. When the legs heal he will also be fitted for a garment for that body part. His skin grafts on both legs are still green/yellowish looking and still open sores which are painful.

He goes back to the Dr. on Aug. 23.

This has been a lot of out- of- the- pocket expenses for the family! His wife stayed with him at hospital as he lives more than 3 hours away and he had two skin graft surgeries during that time. WC won't pay for this lodging. I
agree it its criminal. Oh, yes they have agreed to pay for the bandage scissors, cocoa butter, bath mat--small items-- (How big of them). WC is not our friend I agree. They have been so disorganized and downright rude when I've talked with him. They are very defensive. I feel that's because they know they are wrong and they get their backs up.
[url]http://www.dli.state.pa.us/[/url] is the PA government site for Workman's compensation.

They would be better able to answer your questions (I read through the ACT and Statutes for PA and my eyes are spinning, all that legalese... I was not able to find the sections that would answer your questions but I know they are there, burried under a million and one "there-by's and there-fore's")

Last edited by penybobeny; 08-14-2007 at 03:15 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Closed Thread