It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #1
(female)

marie221 HB User
Bad burn, need advice

My mom got burned with 100 to 200 degrees hot water about 30 minutes ago,
and shes' to stubborn to go to the hospital.
Her hand is very red and swollen bad, can any one give me any advice on how to treat the burn without going to the doctor?
And what type of burn would this be, and how serious does it sound?
Thanks,
Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Bad burn, need advice

from your description at that point,it sounds like at least a second degree burn.most burns,when they cover a larger area,sometimes even the docs cannot actually tell imediately just how really severe it is.time is a big factor in how it will look and what they feel the level actually is.most burns will always look worse(espescially with the swelling) the day after and not as much the day of.given the fact that it is already swollen only after a half an hour,she really does need this evaluated and treated at an ER as soon as possible.anytime a burn involves joints(the hands) and the face or feet,they need special attention since the skin will usually shrink when healing and the patient will need to be certain to be doing particular excercises to keep the joints moveable.she just really needs to be seen.pain control would also be availiable for the burn.i am sure it hurts like hell at this point?if she has not already gone to see an ER doc by this time she has to go soon.this does need special attention to retain full use.hope she finally decided to go last night.please let me know how she is doing. FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #3
(female)

marie221 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
from your description at that point,it sounds like at least a second degree burn.most burns,when they cover a larger area,sometimes even the docs cannot actually tell imediately just how really severe it is.time is a big factor in how it will look and what they feel the level actually is.most burns will always look worse(espescially with the swelling) the day after and not as much the day of.given the fact that it is already swollen only after a half an hour,she really does need this evaluated and treated at an ER as soon as possible.anytime a burn involves joints(the hands) and the face or feet,they need special attention since the skin will usually shrink when healing and the patient will need to be certain to be doing particular excercises to keep the joints moveable.she just really needs to be seen.pain control would also be availiable for the burn.i am sure it hurts like hell at this point?if she has not already gone to see an ER doc by this time she has to go soon.this does need special attention to retain full use.hope she finally decided to go last night.please let me know how she is doing. FB
Well, I finally did get her to go to hospital last night and they said it was a second degree burn.
They put some type of white cream on her hand and wrapped it with a ton of gauze, and also gave her a shot which I think was for the pain.
Today when she unwrapped the gauze to clean her hand and put new gauze and cream on, the top of her hand was black and blistered.
Good news is her hand feels better than it did yesterday!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

it is actually "black' and blistered?honestly,this almost sounds like she also suffered a certain level of actual third degree too,at least where that black area is(remember where i said that most burns look their worst the day after the actual burn?).i would at the very least,call the ER she went to and ask them about it,or speak directly with someone from a burn unit they may have there.black skin after a burn can mean alot of different things with most of them not real good.it just needs to be told to someone at the treating hosp she went to.if she did suffer some level of third degree burn,it would NOT be painful since the nerves also become burned as well.it is a full thickness type burn.but that hospital needs this update so they can possibly get her back in to be seen again.this does need someones attention.she could possibly be losing real blood flow to that area,that is just one of the things that can cause that blackness in the skin.this is crucial to be evaluated.just call that hosp back or like i said,speak with the burn unit if they have one there,they would be able to give you the best possible info,really.you just do not want to take any chances here.better safe than sorry,espescially with what she has going on right now.this is not normal for 'just' a real second degree burn.i do hope things are okay for her,but just make those calls,okay?please keep me posted on just what you find out.Marcia

Old 01-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
(female)

marie221 HB User

Quote:
it is actually "black' and blistered?honestly,this almost sounds like she also suffered a certain level of actual third degree too,at least where that black area is(remember where i said that most burns look their worst the day after the actual burn?).i would at the very least,call the ER she went to and ask them about it,or speak directly with someone from a burn unit they may have there.black skin after a burn can mean alot of different things with most of them not real good.it just needs to be told to someone at the treating hosp she went to.if she did suffer some level of third degree burn,it would NOT be painful since the nerves also become burned as well.it is a full thickness type burn.but that hospital needs this update so they can possibly get her back in to be seen again.this does need someones attention.she could possibly be losing real blood flow to that area,that is just one of the things that can cause that blackness in the skin.this is crucial to be evaluated.just call that hosp back or like i said,speak with the burn unit if they have one there,they would be able to give you the best possible info,really.you just do not want to take any chances here.better safe than sorry,espescially with what she has going on right now.this is not normal for 'just' a real second degree burn.i do hope things are okay for her,but just make those calls,okay?please keep me posted on just what you find out.Marcia
Well, it's not actually black, it's kinda greyish.
She went to the doctor again yesterday and they said it might start getting infected. And not only was her hand swollen, her arm was swollen too.
The doctor sounded like he was a little worried about it too because he said it looked like it was starting to get infected, so he told her that she would need it to be checked at the hospital daily.
Today she went to the doctor again(I didn't go this time, so I didn't get to see her hand), and from what I heard her hand had alot more blisters and the swellings worse in her hand and arm too, and they put her on 2 antibiotics.
They didn't do a blood test this time, so I don't know if it really got infected yet.
But, she will be going to a different doctor tommorrow so I'll let you know what happends then.
By the way, are you a doctor or a nurse? Cuz you really seem to know what you're talking about. just wondering is all.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
(female)

Brenda T HB User

I burnt my left hand last Thursday and have been going to the urgent care since but, my question is it still hurts really bad and the blisters are all over my hand still now my arm is swelling bad 2 days now. it also feels fevered my arm is hot. is this a sign of infection or part of the process. I will be seeing my primary doctor tomorrow. Can anyone help.

Thanks Brenda

Old 01-17-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
(female)

marie221 HB User
Smile Re: Bad burn, need advice

LOL!
That's my mom below me!
She didn't even know that I was the one who started this thread, and she even posted in it. XD

Old 01-18-2008, 09:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sorry not a doc just someone who has had alot of EMS experience and also has had my own share of really ugly medical situations as well as my son too.honestly,i do think your mom needs to be on IV anti Bs at this point or perhaps actually admitted into the hosp so this can get closer monitoring.things should be getting better not worse.anytime that happens a host of other issues could develop.the fact that this is actually 'hot' probably means some level of infection going on.this can just happen with any burn but what your mom actually had,and the wide area this seems to be actually progressing to,really makes her situation a bit more higher risk.from your description,it appears this is actually somehow taking up a much larger area up her arm than the original burn did??is that what is actually happening here?if this is what is happening,she does really need to be admitted for better treatment/monitoring for any changes in her condition that could indicate secondary burn issues.ALOT of secondary problems can develop from burns.burns,depending on the coverage involved can also really knock down a persons ability to fight off even mild infections along with possibly having a condition called CMV develop.it would all depend mostly on just how taxed her immune system is right now ya know?she just really needs to have her overall condition and the problems developing assessed and evaluated by someone with a larger expertise with burns.do you happen to live anywhere near any hospital with a good reputable burn unit in their facility?if so,go there and have her evaluated there.it doesn't sound like who she is seeing right now really truely understands burns the way they should.

its just from what you have described here,she really should be admitted for closer monitoring and IV anti bs and they don't appear to be doing that for her.i know without a doubt,the burn unit we have close by where i live, luckily it is also the best level one trauma center in the midwest,they would be placing her in hospital just based on what you have described here alone.if i were you,i would be going with her to any next appts or even call her treating doc and start demanding something better be done for her.if this is not treated properly,it could have some very strong consequences for her.if this is infected,she just needs to be IN hospital not out,for the best possible care and for pain management.at least til they get the infection under control.this may also need debridemnet.i do hope someone will finally see the need to admit her for proper care.please keep me posted on how things are going,K?marcia

Old 01-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

hey marie,just wondering how things are going with your mom?if you could give me an update,that would be great.i do hope things have stabilized and are going better at this point.Marcia

Old 02-06-2008, 10:23 PM   #10
(female)

marie221 HB User
Talking Re: Bad burn, need advice

Quote:
hey marie,just wondering how things are going with your mom?if you could give me an update,that would be great.i do hope things have stabilized and are going better at this point.Marcia
Sorry that I didn't answer you sooner, been busy.
Anyway, her hand looks great!
Right now her hand looks kinda pink and whats funny to me is that her hand is starting to grow really long hair,lol she hates that!XD
Best part is it doesn't look like it will scar eitheir.
But she has to keep it covered up from the sun for a while and it still a little sensitive.
So overall she's doing fine.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

glad to hear that,sorry i didn't get back when you posted,i was actually in the hospital that day having a rotator cuff repair done.really glad everything worked out good for her tho.you really are a great daughter.marcia

Closed Thread