It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
(male)

mikewamsley HB User
Need advice regarding burn from wart removal

Hi all! New here. I just wanted to ask about a burn my daughter has on her hand that she got from a wart removal procedure. I am fairly certain the tech who performed the procedure did it incorrectly, but without discussing that, my concern now is my daughter has three huge blisters on her hand from it. One is about 1/2 the size of a golf ball, one is about the size of a cherry tomato, and the third, while large, just looks like a normal big blister. The procedure was Friday afternoon, and I have taken her into the emergency room at my base hospital twice for pain. She was given small amounts of morphine both times, and is currently taking 800 mg of Ibuprofen and Percocet. (sp?)

My question is;

Can I pop these blisters to give my 15 year old some relief? The child suffers from mild anxiety, and is just horrified at the thought of going to school with these huge balls of puss on her hand. All I can think to do it cover it with guaze.

Last edited by mikewamsley; 02-24-2008 at 02:06 PM.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Need advice regarding burn from wart removal

do not actually break open the blisters on purpose.if they happen to break on their own there isn't much you can do,but once the blisters break,you now have a new route of possible infection on very susceptable skin.i am wondering just how large this actual wart was?thats alot of damage there for just wart removal.have you been back to the docs office where this was done?i would be asking some questions about why a tech was doing this and not the actual doc.this is a medical procedure best done by an actual doc,not a tech or a nurse even.the result with your daughter is why.too much was obviously burned,and very severely too.she has at least a full second degree burn there she is dealing with.did you say these blisters are actually puss filled?they 'should' contain only clear fluid at this point and not puss.if it is actually in there this could already be infected and need some anti Bs to clear and heal in a healthy way and minimize any possible scarring.i seriously would go back to that docs office and demand to see the actual doc about this and have a chat with him about the sloppy work the tech did.that just sounds like way too much area to have involved with a simple wart removal,way too much.your main concern right now is making certain that this is not infected,or getting anti Bs if it is.like i said,do not pop those blisters.it could make things even worse for her in the long run.just see the doc.you may try just keeping that area covered with some gauze.the blisters will eventually pop on there own and drain.you really should have that area covered by something when that occurs.there is also a silvadine cream the doc can Rx for her to put on it to help with the pain.the cream also will prevent the gauze from sticking to the burn itself.its kind of a protective layer.sorry your daughter has to go thru this.but i would most defintiely get her into see the actual doc about this.this just sounds like way too much actual burn area and very severe too.i am just really suprised the doc did not actually do this type of procedure and a tech was allowed.i would definitely bring that up with the doc too.i wish you both luck with this and hope the doc can at least help reduce her pain better than it is right now.she also needs this evaluated for possible infection too.you DO deserve some answers tho.please keep me posted on how she is doing,K? marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
(male)

mikewamsley HB User

Marcia,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Tomorrow we are seeing the Doc again (different Doc) for a last eval, and will post the details this weekend. For now, one blister has began to drain, and one busted. The third is still full size. I have kept the poor thing out of school this week, and she is down to a very low dose of percocet for the pain, so it looks like she is pulling through ok. Also, on Monday, the new Doc clarified after some tests that she won't have any permanent joint damage (two are on her knuckles) and that he felt she would heal up nicely.

As for the original tech, as you said, the important thing now is I focus on getting my daughter better. I did, however, go by and she was seen by an RN, who agreed it was incorrect, and that she would ensure the tech will not be performing this again without remedial training. So I am done with them, for now.

Once my daughter fully recovers, I'll address it with them again. BTW, this was a military hospital, if that tells you anything.

I'll give more details this weekend, but wanted to write something now as I really appreciated your educated response.

And yes, you were correct, it was fluid, not puss. You can tell I am not in the medical field!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

well thats good to know,puss would have been a whole other story.putting her on just some prophalactic anti Bs to be sure that this doesn't become infected really wouldn't hurt,ya know?once the blisters pop,it just creates a temporary route of possible infection since bacteria can get in there til the skin starts to actually get stronger and kind of dry out a bit?just have to wait and see what the other doc says about her situation.glad she seems to be doing better.please keep me posted,K? FB

Old 03-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

aussiejono HB User

Dont pop them... apply Betadine to prevent infection, and cover them with tulle gauze, then a dressing pad, then bandage.

Repeat each day until healed.

Closed Thread