It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 03:56 AM   #1
(female)

MHirose HB User
CRUSHED Thumb

I crushed my thumb in a car door. There are no fractures, but approximately 90% of the nail is black. Now, the skin on the sides of the nail is turning black, there is a large lump under the skin at the base of the nail that has black areas and is swollen and enflamed. Every day the finger looks worse and worse. I'm still in excruciating pain and taking advil every 4 hours (this is worse than childbirth!). The finger looks scary, and I'm starting to fear the swelling under the skin at the base of the nail (by the cuticle). I'm not going to lose my finger, right? When will the pain subside? I can't even take care of my daughter. I could post a link with a picture of the thumb for clarification if needed.

Please help! Thanks!

Last edited by MHirose; 03-05-2008 at 03:57 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
(male)

LeeNicholson HB User
Re: CRUSHED Thumb

Go see a doctor. Could be bleeding under the nail (Subungual Hematoma), which your doctor can address.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
(female)

MHirose HB User

I did see a doctor. He did the hole thing and took x-rays. It's only gotten worse sense then. That's why I'm getting so frightened. It's not doing what the websites say it should do.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB UsertUrRrRa HB User

Something similar happened to my dad once and his thumb nail fell off eventually! It was very black and nasty looking, but his finger turned out fine and the nail grew back later on. It just took some time. If your x-rays look okay, I think you will be fine too! I would think your doctors can prescribe you some pain killers too instead of basic medicine. I injured my thumb (in a different way) and regular Advil just doesn't do the trick!

Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
(female)

ejh1 HB User

I wish I could give you words of wisdom, I was give 800mg motrin, I take 2 twice a day and I and still in tears. the pain is so bad. Same issue. Doctor told me to ice in as much as I can-needed. He told me to come back in a few days if the swelling hasnt left, he said he would have to lance the site and release the blood which will relieve some of the pressure. nothing they can do about losing the nail i will not have a thumbnail in a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHirose View Post
I crushed my thumb in a car door. There are no fractures, but approximately 90% of the nail is black. Now, the skin on the sides of the nail is turning black, there is a large lump under the skin at the base of the nail that has black areas and is swollen and enflamed. Every day the finger looks worse and worse. I'm still in excruciating pain and taking advil every 4 hours (this is worse than childbirth!). The finger looks scary, and I'm starting to fear the swelling under the skin at the base of the nail (by the cuticle). I'm not going to lose my finger, right? When will the pain subside? I can't even take care of my daughter. I could post a link with a picture of the thumb for clarification if needed.

Please help! Thanks!

Last edited by ejh1; 03-23-2010 at 06:17 PM.

Closed Thread