It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Burn infection

I was taking the plastic wrap off of a food item in the microwave and a burst of steam came out burning my finger. At first it just turned red and then blistered. Over the next few days the blisters broke on their own. Now it is 5 days later and the area is still red and hurts to bend the finger so I am getting a little bit concerned about infection. Any ideas here on what I should do next?

thanks
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Burn infection

this could just be the 'normal" healing process depending on just how deeply the burn went down into the underlying tissues.from your description it really sounds like you have a second degree burn there.if this is "just' red,and kind of hard to move,things are probably okay.once skin has been burned,as it heals,the skin naturally tends to tighten up.you could start doing just a bit of extra movements with it to stretch that new skin a bit at a time.BUT,if there is ANY type of drainage at this point or any pus pockets or oozing going on,i would most definitely have your doc evaluate it.anytime you actually have a burn over any joint area,it just makes things a bit more difficult and painful when you move it.this would be considered normal for where your burn is andthe depth of it.if at anytime this just doesn't 'feel' right or look right,just see your doc and have it looked at.but this really does 'sound' normal to me.when in doubt,just seek out your docs help tho.hope it feels better soon for you.let me know how thing sare going.FB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #3
(female)

valleygirl901 HB User

I fell down the steps 4 days ago and have a bad rug burn/abrasion below my left eye. I need advice too, as I feel that it may have gotten infected. It is seeping a clear liquid still and HURTS so much. It is about the size of a quarter. I am so concerned about scarring. I have heard that putting ointment on to keep it moist is the best thing to do to minimize scarring, but when I have tried that...the skin gets all "goey" and soft and comes off. I am pretty scared.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
(female)

valleygirl901 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
this could just be the 'normal" healing process depending on just how deeply the burn went down into the underlying tissues.from your description it really sounds like you have a second degree burn there.if this is "just' red,and kind of hard to move,things are probably okay.once skin has been burned,as it heals,the skin naturally tends to tighten up.you could start doing just a bit of extra movements with it to stretch that new skin a bit at a time.BUT,if there is ANY type of drainage at this point or any pus pockets or oozing going on,i would most definitely have your doc evaluate it.anytime you actually have a burn over any joint area,it just makes things a bit more difficult and painful when you move it.this would be considered normal for where your burn is andthe depth of it.if at anytime this just doesn't 'feel' right or look right,just see your doc and have it looked at.but this really does 'sound' normal to me.when in doubt,just seek out your docs help tho.hope it feels better soon for you.let me know how thing sare going.FB

Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
(female)

valleygirl901 HB User

Thank you FB and Linda for taking the time to reply. I made an appointment tomorrow morning with a dermatologist. I will feel some relief just to know that there is no infection going on (if that is the case). I think I have been so worried about infection, that I have overwashed the area. I probably have washed it about 4 or 5 times in a day since it happened (4 days ago). It is starting to really scab over with deep cracks. It looks really bad and I am very worried about it scarring very badly.

Closed Thread