It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
(male)

Jake1986 HB User
Ulnar Nerve?

About a week ago I turned a light switch off with my elbow and it sent a sharp pain up to my hand and I had some numb/tingling on my pinky and side of palm and I still have a little of the numbness still..does anyone know if turning a light switch off with your elbow could severely damage the ulnar nerve? and also how long does it take to usually heal if it heals on its own?

Thanks

EDIT:
I forgot to add that after I hit it I felt around where the ulnar nerve is and it was kinda sore there..but 5 days after I hit it it wasn't sore any more..does that mean that it's healing it's self and I won't need to go to the hospital or anything?
Thanks again

Last edited by Jake1986; 10-12-2008 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Ulnar Nerve?

did the symptoms go away too or are they still there? you just mentioned the pain going away only. in all likelyhood,you probably just compressed that nerve a bit further into the crease there in your elbow? thats exactly where it runs. chances are it will heal on its own but if for some reason,it gets worse or does not get better within about a week or so,i would definitely see your doc about it. anti inflammarories might help to speed this along. i am sure if it got compressed into that crease,it is probably a bit inflammed at least. nerves just don;t like to be pushed on or pressed into things. the nerve and the surrounding area can swell a bit causeing even more symptoms. once it all calms down it should be okay. i did this to my ulnar too but it was becasue i was wearing a sling and the material along the bottom kept pushing into that crease. eventually my last two fingers went almost compleletly numb and i also had some good pain. once we placed a really soft material over that ridge,it went away in less than a week or so.

just keep an eye on this and see how it goes. if its not better soon,like a week to ten days,see your doc about it. it could have gotten pushed way too far in if your symptoms don;t go away for you. but from what you described,it does sound like its on the right course at this point. let me know how things are going,K? FB

Last edited by feelbad; 10-13-2008 at 07:45 AM. Reason: cannot spelltoday

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
(male)

Jake1986 HB User

I had it for 1 week so far I was just saying that 5 days into that week that the pain when I felt it went away..though the symptoms are still there.

when I say numbness it just feels like the tip of my pinky has less...feelings in it? i'm not sure what to call it..but when I try to rub my right pinky finger I can only slightly feel it and when I scratch it I can feel it like normal..is that numbness? or can't you feel ANYTHING when something is numb? although sometimes it feels normal..like it feels just like my left one could that mean that it's trying to heal? if so why does it come back like that?

Thanks

EDIT:

Also there's a chance of going paralyzed with a damage ulnar nerve? I was wondering if you knew how long that would take or if that only happens in worse cases?

Last edited by Jake1986; 10-13-2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something again

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

from what you described as the mechanisim of inury,i would doubt that this would realistically turn into something major,probably more like just a bruising effect on it? if you are actually feeling improvement,chances are it is trying to simply heal whatever you did to it that day. yes,what you described IS a level of numbness. something does not have to be total and completly dead feeling to be called "numbness". there are just varying degrees of it. if you start feeling like a pins and needles feeling or sensation in this soon,it is more than likely just healing going on and the feeling coming back. sometimes,more often than not,this is the next stage of nerve healing.

if you are able to move the finger and use it normally,chances are it would not become paralyzed. i think you have more than likely already gone thru the worst of this. but if for some reason,within about the next week or so it gets worse or there is no more improvement,i would simply have this evaluated by your primary doc to see what he or she feels you should do. if nothing else,they can send you for an EMG. this test simply checks nerve flow thru a nerve to seek out possible areas of damage to nerves. if there is real damage it would show with a much lower flow velocity,its a pretty accurate test as far as checking for impairment of nerve flow. but i really don't think you will need one. this was more than likely just bruised and is trying to heal itself. you will just have to wait and see how things play out. please keep me posted. Marcia

Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
(male)

Jake1986 HB User

Thanks for your help so far I have two more things to ask you

you know where you have that..round thing near the top of the finger? I think its your finger print..but I'm not sure anyways I noticed that the one on my pinky finger is sorta..swelled a bit..and I'm wondering if the nerve could of healed already and its just that thing that is still bruised a little that's making it feel numb? or can't bruising a nerve cause anything like that?

and my second question you already mentioned but I wanna make sure that it's normal anyways when I try to play games on my computer I sorta get a...its either a slight burning feeling or pins and needles in different parts of my right hand it doesn't last that long..it sorta seems random..but that's the only time that i really feel that could it be the nerve healing?

Thanks again for all the help so far

Old 10-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sorry i didn;t get back here sooner jake. how is the finger doing at this point? what you have been feeling "could" very well just be the healing taking place. that would be the most likely scenerio. but i really do not understand that swelling thing? is that still an issue for you or has that gone away? i would try,just forthe next couple weeks at least,to keep the video game thing down to a minimum. if you play those games like i have seen my son do,well that is alot of repetitive motion and sudden muscle movements that could impede that healing process by inflamming the nerve and just not allowing it to rest properly. keeping things low key would usually be the best way to get a nerve to actually heal,espescially if it was compressed at one time,which yours really sounds like it was. give me an update when you can,K? FB

Closed Thread