It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
(female)

Jinxedsheep HB User
Odd coloring, great pain, help PLEASE

I fell a week ago landing on my left hand bending it so that the palm was touching the underside of my arm. I went to the ER because of TONS of pain, swelling, and redness. They said it wasn't broken (after an X-ray) and I was put in a brace. The next day I notice I lost all feeling in my thumb, pointer, and middle finger on my left side. I went back and they said I was over reacting and did a CT to prove it wasn't broken. It's been a full week now and I still can't feel those fingers or thumb. I can move them, just not feel them AT ALL. Most of the swelling has gone away as has the bruising. However, yesterday I noticed these deep red streaks going up my arm starting at where I hurt my wrist. I'm still in TONS of pain to the point where I can't really do anything. Is there a point in going back in or are they right in saying I'm just over reacting?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB Userozfan79 HB User
Re: Odd coloring, great pain, help PLEASE

If you can't feel your fingers, there is most likely something wrong. It would be a good idea to go back to the doctor. Sometimes fractures don't show up right away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Odd coloring, great pain, help PLEASE

honestly? i really just cannot imagine you falling in that way with all that weight on that really vulnerable wrist area in that posistion and NOT have actually fractured any of those numerous small bones(the carpals) in that wrist area or the surrounding area. wow. the fact that those particular fingers are numb would suggest damage to the median nerve that innervates those fingers,and gives them the ability to feel. that median is more of a sensory type of nerve(with some fine motor function),that is why you can still move them but not actually really feel them? you know what i mean here? and i don't think you are over reacting to not being able to feel fingers,espescially with THAT mechanism of injury.

just what were the results of your CT? what did that say about any possible even hairline types of possible breaks? the thing here is,if nothing actually was fractured,which honestly just amazes me here, you definitely DO have something affecting your median nerve there. it could just be swelling there(this would simply be there with what you did to it) that could be temporarily compressing that nerve or something else going on that maybe could only be seen upon MRI. i really can't say. the soft tissue areas within our bodies that have the muscle,tendons ligaments and nerves just can be injured but it would not always show upon x ray(definitely not with only x ray) or CT. an MRI just gets a bit deeper into those areas. getting that whole arm MRIed would really help in trying to really see the areas where that median could be compromised at. did you happen to hit the elbow area at all or anything else in that arm when you fell? tho the ulnar nerve that innervates the other fingers in your hand is the most vulnerable at the outside of your elbow area. it 'could' be possible i guess in some ways to have even affected it at that point,since it also has to run thru that area(i cannot remeber exactly off hand just where that median runs at the elbow),but it is more well protected at that point. just getting that MRI,i really do think would at least show you the areas better where that nerve runs and what is affecting it. i wish i had better answers for you here. but i would keep on top of this with your doc til he at least 'does' something more than blow off your concerns here.thats a bit crazy considering your prolonged and some strange symptoms. i have no clue just what those red marks are from either. you just desrve to have this better evaluated since nothing is showing upon the CT. maybe seeing a different doc? if that is possible i would try it. please keep me posted as to what you find out. good luck, Marcia

Closed Thread