It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
(female)

HogansMom HB User
Question Slammed hand in a car door

About five days ago, I slammed my hand in the car door. The 4th and 5th metacarpals of my left hand took most of the impact. I got an x-ray, and nothing is broken, thankfully. However, I still have a strange knot-like swelling on what feels like a muscle right under the pinkie knuckle on the back of my hand. I have full range of motion in my hand, but it is still quite painful to the touch.

Any idea what this is, and whether it will go away on its own or requires additional treatment?

Old 09-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
(female)

kingcharles3rd HB User
Re: Slammed hand in a car door

I was wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong with your hand? I have the same knot on my hand, closed my hand in the car door eight days ago and there is still a lump in between 1st and 2nd knuckle on my hand. It still is pretty painful! Any Answers would be appreciated!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 PM   #3
(female)

HogansMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharles3rd View Post
I was wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong with your hand? I have the same knot on my hand, closed my hand in the car door eight days ago and there is still a lump in between 1st and 2nd knuckle on my hand. It still is pretty painful! Any Answers would be appreciated!!!!!
I never got a definitive answer, but when it was still there after five weeks, I went back to the doctor. He thought the initial x-ray might have missed a small fracture, but the new x-ray didn't show anything. He said that the pain came from the bone contusion and soft tissue injury, and that the lump was most likely scar tissue. It's now been five months, and the pain is almost gone, though it still does hurt sometimes. The doctor said that bone bruises can take up to a year to heal completely. So, unfortunately, if there's no broken bone and the soft tissue injury isn't severe enough to require surgery (which would be worse), all you can really do is wait.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
(female)

kingcharles3rd HB User

WOW!!!! five months and it still is hurting. Thank you so much for your response. At least now I know what to expect, of all the research I did on the internet your posting was the only thing I could find about this injury. Thank you again. By the way did the lump ever go away or not?

Old 09-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just wanted to mention one thing here only because i had to deal with my own finger injury that was actually mis Dxed by a freaking ortho no less. there is always the possibility of either tendon or ligament damage there too with that type of an mechanism of injury that at some point if things just don't get better should really have an MRI done just to even be able to see the tendon and ligamants at all. they just do NOT show up at all like the other softer tissue areas upon plain x ray. i ended up having to see a hand surgeon to truely find out that i did NOT damage tendons as the first doc(the ortho from hell) who never actually even touched the finger then 'pronounced" it tendons and then slapped a freakin cast on me instead of just splinting and then getting me into PT like really soon after? i had actually blown out the ligaments on both sides of the middle finger and ended up with a certain level of ROM loss only becasue that capsule had formed around the knuckle by then, thanks to even having that cast on that should not have been there? it really was an unreal experience all over one tiny freaking finger and the stupidity of an actual ortho.

just make certain no matter what that you both just know for certain what your real true level of actual damage is. if it takes an MRI, trust me, it is money well spent to prevent what could end up as a real loss of movement/bending in a finger. just wanted you to be aware, thats all. i sure did suffer thru one heck of alot of crapover that one little finger. good luck,marcia

Old 09-07-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
(female)

HogansMom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcharles3rd View Post
WOW!!!! five months and it still is hurting. Thank you so much for your response. At least now I know what to expect, of all the research I did on the internet your posting was the only thing I could find about this injury. Thank you again. By the way did the lump ever go away or not?
The lump is still there, but very small. I think that most of it was the swollen tissue around it.

Regarding the post about the MRI, that's good advice and I definitely would have insisted upon it had the injury not healed as the doctor predicted. As much pain as I was in, I never lost my range of motion, which was a good sign from the start. I have had bone contusions before, and in my experience, this is healing at about the right rate. Good luck and I hope you get some relief soon!

Oh, one last thing the final doctor I saw recommended was not to keep it too protected from being touched. He actually advised me to touch the area gently to desensitize the pain receptors. I was keeping it wrapped and padded, then when I unwrapped it any touch or brush was pure agony. After a few days of following that advice, it started to be much less sensitive.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

sounds like you have a very smart doc when it comes to that advice he gave you about overly protecting that finger. i mean just wearing a simple bandaid over a specfic area for just a day or too, you most definitely CAN feel a bit more hypersensitivity to even slight touch there after it comes off for good til it kind of acclimates back into the overal area again. that was great advice he gave you. as long as you are able to fully bend this with no real restriction felt, then it will probably heal just fine for you. i just could not believe the finger hell i went thru which all started becasue of an incredibly stupid actual ortho. this man actually does surgeries on real people. that just gives me shudders. hope all goes well for you HM. marcia

Closed Thread