It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
(male)

SRd240sx HB User
HELP! Motorcycle exhaust burn on ankle

Hi guys, I dropped my bike on Wednesday night and burned my right foot on the exhaust (burn is about 2" in diameter). I don't recall exactly what happened but I am guessing my pant lifted up during the fall and my ankle touched the hot exhaust for roughly 3 seconds.

The burn was not excruciatingly painful but still hurt. It blistered up, but to the point where the skin was about to fall off so I peeled it off. Underneath that was mostly white in color. I then put a bandage on it with nothing else and went to bed.

Thursday morning comes around and the pain is not bad, just a little stinging sensation but nothing more. That night it started hurting a little more. I went to work with the bandage on, it wasn't a huge deal, and then went home and took off the bandage, took a shower, cleaned the wound and went to sleep.

Today (Friday) I go to work without a bandage. As the day goes by I notice more and more pain. By night it is slightly swollen and painful to the touch (like a bruise). Seems like it is a little bit infected. I clean it off with soap and pour some hydrogen peroxide as recommended by my roommate. This caused the top layer to bubble up a bit, it stung for a little bit but wasn't TOO bad.

Foot feels a little numb like circulation is cut off. Seems swollen and probably infected. Should I go to the ER? I don't have insurance and can't afford to pay a $2,000 bill for this. Please help asap! Need to decide if this needs medical attention asap. Thanks in advance

Last edited by moderator2; 07-25-2009 at 05:33 AM. Reason: please do not post pictures - as per the posting policy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

esker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB Useresker HB User
Re: HELP! Motorcycle exhaust burn on ankle

Just go to a regular doctor. Make an office visit, instead of going to the emergency room.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

If the burn is no bigger then the size of your palm of your hand, and your feeling pain it is a good sign . + if your saying it is blistering , this is a second degree burn . Feeling pain means that that are not completely damaged. It is a second degree burn is blistering, and you feel the pain . You need to keep it covered. It is normal for it to cause swelling arouund the area.
You need to keep the area covered, and change the bandages regularly. If it blisters up again do not pop the blisters, it is normal to have the blisters , and when the blisters pop it will hurt more, and you will be more susistipable to infection. U need to keep the burn dry, do not use hydrogen peroxide anymore , use a burn cream, guaze pads and guaze wraps to keep the burn wrapped . You need to keep doing this until the burn is completely healed. It might take a while for it to heal , but it is very important to do this until it is healed all the way .
Signs of infection include, fever, any foul oder, any foul looking discharge. Those are not good. As long as the burn is no bigger then the palm of your hand, you can treat it on your own.
You can take over the counter extra strengh tylenal to relieve the pain , as the burn heals it may itch, just keep it burn covered , to prevent infection, and change the bandage twice daily, or more .

Old 07-26-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
(female)

nchantng HB User

I vote for medical attention. Swollen and numb are not good signs. Also, putting creams and coverings are not aways the best idea, especially if it is infected, although it is important to keep the area clean, gauze is the worst thing to use on a burn because it sticks to the skin and every time you change it you rip off the very delicate skin that is trying to heal. You can buy special burn dressings that are individually wrapped material that is coated with a petroleum (vaseline type substance) that does not stick to the wound. Try a pharmacy (not average drug store) they are not cheap, perhaps $1.50 each but they will help the burn to heal faster in the long run. They should be changed several times a day. Can you go to an urgent care (not ER) or get a regular doctors appointment? I think it is a good idea to have a professional look at and clean and debride the injury, and probably get a course of antibiotics. Ask the doctor for a length of stretch mesh tubing material that is elasticated and slips over the ankle completely and holds the dressing in place rather than a bandage which does not allow the burn to breathe. I have taken care of my daughter who suffered an injury that resulted in burns in multiple locations on her body and found these coated burn dressings to be fabulous. I can also relate to the injury itself, having burned my calf on a motorcycle many years ago. Ouch! take care of yourself - Heather

Old 07-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #5
(male)

SRd240sx HB User

Thanks for the advice guys. The wound has gotten better over the last couple days but I'll keep you updated on how it does over the next couple days

Closed Thread