It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 02:28 AM   #1
(male)

elif HB User
Knot in Bicep

About two weeks ago I got elbowed very hard in the left bicep while playing ultimate frisbee. It hurt and felt sore the rest of the game, but I thought it would just be a really bad bruise or something. A few hours later, I noticed a knot the size of a large walnut on the upper part of my bicep and could no longer extend my forearm all the way. There was also quite a bit of swelling.

I went to my doctor a couple days later and he thought it was a hematoma from the trauma to my bicep that would get better in 2-3 weeks. After a week, I was really worried that I could not extend my arm so I went to an orthopedic surgeon. He told me at first glance it looked like a tear, but that he could feel my tendon was in-tact. So it was either a partial tear or more likely just a deep bruise. He also said it should get better over time without any surgery, but he wanted me to get an MRI just to be sure and referred me to a place for it.

So the MRI will cost $750 after insurance and now I don't know whether I should get it or not. The knot is still there and I have bruises on elbow/forearm for some reason, but the swelling and soreness are mostly gone. I can flex my bicep where before it was limp, and I can extend my forearm all but 10-15 degrees. I'm 26 year old male and I guess I could afford an MRI if I have to, but it's a lot of money!

Do you think it's safe to wait and see? And does anyone know how long this knot is going to last and why I can't extend my arm? I want to get back to 100%, cause I play ultimate frisbee competitively. Sorry I went on so long!

Last edited by elif; 05-03-2010 at 02:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread