It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
(female)

Hypergirl48 HB User
Burn on arm

I burned my arm on the oven three days ago. Hurt like crazy at first, then the skin was tender, and by bedtime it didn't hurt at all. Sunday it had started to blister. It's a tad less than one inch long and a tad more than 1/4 inch wide. Darkish red/brown in color with maybe tinge of white in the center, but it's so faint I'm not sure. I don't have any insurance, so I stopped by a CVS Minute Clinic (they're staffed by nurse practitioners) because they're less expensive. She looked at it, pulled out a book to look some things up, measured it, saw the blisters, and said she didn't think it was third degree. Told me to sterilize a needle and break the blisters, let them drain, and leave the skin over it. Keep bacitracin [sp] on it, leave it open during the day, and then cover at night so I won't knock it on anything in my sleep. (She didn't charge me either!) After I broke the blisters I poured alcohol over it and it burned like crazy. And tonight I accidentally pulled a little bit of the skin off while using a Q-tip to put on the bacitracin. That area is pinkish red underneath with some tiny red dot and burns a lot when alcohol gets on it.

I don't care if it scars or anything like that, I'm just still worried that it will get infected and want to make sure I'm doing everything I can. Does anyone have any other suggestions? What kind of change in the burn should I see as it's healing and how long does it usually take? I know about the swelling and red streaks that are a sign of infection, as well as a fever. Something the nurse practitioner said to be on the lookout for.

Thanks for any advice.
6/06: Dx hyperT & Graves Disease. RAI 6/06. Current treatment: Synthroid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread