It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #1
(male)

philipmarie HB User
Does skin grow back after burning?

Through the Immaculate Heart,

I do not have any skin problems at all but, if a person where to get burned severely (a third degree burn for example), does the skin grow back to normal after sometime? If so, would it take years for example to grow back? What about hair, does hair grow back after the skin has been burnt?

Is there actually a condition where the skin, whether it gets burnt or not does not grow back? I'm not speaking of poor people whose blood would not collect and dry so as to make scabs and prevent any more blood from flowing out.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
(male)

Rusty Pete HB User
Re: Does skin grow back after burniong?

G'day Philipmarie,
A 3rd degree burn, if left to heal by it self will leave a very noticeable scar, and will not grow hair, and there would be complete loss of feeling, also the ability to sweat would be lost.
BUT if the wound was closed by applying a skin graft, the scarring would be barely noticeable. There would be no feeling for many years after, and no hair growth, and no sweating.
This is because a 3rd degree burn goes right into the Dermis where all the hair follicles, nerve ends and sweat glands are.
Rusty Pete

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
(male)

philipmarie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Pete View Post
G'day Philipmarie,
A 3rd degree burn, if left to heal by it self will leave a very noticeable scar, and will not grow hair, and there would be complete loss of feeling, also the ability to sweat would be lost.
BUT if the wound was closed by applying a skin graft, the scarring would be barely noticeable. There would be no feeling for many years after, and no hair growth, and no sweating.
This is because a 3rd degree burn goes right into the Dermis where all the hair follicles, nerve ends and sweat glands are.
Rusty Pete
Thanks Pete, but is there also a condition where the skin does not grow back at all, leaving you with a permanent burn? Thanks.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User
Re: Does skin grow back after burning?

I think it depends on how severe the burn is. Some burns are so severe that they require skin grafts of course. I had a burn on my cheek the other day which was a 2nd degree burn I think. It burnt through a couple layers of skin. It healed amazingly fast but I did use some Neosporin on it so that may be why.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #5
(male)

Rusty Pete HB User

There are basically 3 degrees of burns, 1st degree such as sunburn heals in a few days and will not scar, 2nd degree such as a scald which will blister at least, that will heal without scarring, a Deep 2nd degree burns thru the Epidermis and some distance into the dermis could leave a scar if left untreated.
For a burn to destroy the hair follicles it would have to be a very deep burn and would probably be classed a 3rd degree burn, then hair will not grow back,
Rusty Pete

Old 11-28-2010, 03:41 AM   #6
(female)

wwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB Userwwwgirl HB User

I discovered that my burn was amazingly enough a 1st degree burn. I suppose it was almost a 2nd degree burn though. Regardless, the important thing is that it is fully healed with no scar.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #7
(male)

Rusty Pete HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwgirl View Post
I discovered that my burn was amazingly enough a 1st degree burn. I suppose it was almost a 2nd degree burn though. Regardless, the important thing is that it is fully healed with no scar.
I'm pleased that you've had a good outcome with your burn.
If faced with another burn on yourself, or anyone in the future just remember my golden rule to COOL IT. Meaning that no matter how deep or extensive the burn is, the most important thing is to run COOL (NOT COLD) water over the area, or apply soaking wet towels, for 15 to 20 minutes. This will stop a burn from penetrating deeper into the skin, and may just stop a 2nd degree burn from becoming a 3rd degree.
Regarding scars: I wear many, resulting from extensive 3rd degree burns about 30 years ago and I've learned to live with them, but I can sympathise with anyone faced with the possibility of having scars form from any cause. There are treatments today for the removal of scars, but they are very expensive.
Prompt and correct treatment after a burn can minimise scarring.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

the biggest problem with severe burns is infection. The third degree burns have higher rates of it because of the tissue damage. I have many severe third degree burns that has left me with some mobilty problems even after surgery. some of my burns are not as noticeable, but some are and has left the skin looking rough rather then smooth.

The following user gives a hug of support to mscat40:
Rusty Pete (12-10-2010)
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #9
(male)

Rusty Pete HB User

G'day Msct40. You know, a 3rd degree burn is The Worst injury you can get. It not only affects the victim, but all family members as well.
The effects, both physical and emotional, can continue for years after the event, and there is no doubt that scars affect women more than men.
You're right in saying that 3rd degree burns are prone to infection, because they do have a large surface area. Prompt emergency treatment and good follow up hospital procedures such as the liberal dosing of the area with Silver Sulfadiazine will prevent infection, although in my case I contracted the MRSA bug which eventually closed the burns ward down. Mind you this was 30 years ago and burns wards have changed greatly. But they still use the Silver ointment.
I have found that by trying to help burns victims with advice, and dicussing various aspects of burns, I have gained an inner peace and acceptance of my appearance.
Regards, Rusty Pete

Old 12-18-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

It was only a year ago that I was in the critical care burn unit with severe burns. In my case the surgeon told me he did not know how deep the burns were until he cle4aned out the burn... The burned skin was color black , called escar. The surgey team first gave me temporary skin graphs before the graphing of my skin . I ended up in the hospital for a month. This past summer was really uncomfortable. The burned areas became very stiff and dry. It was bad , and there was a sensation to scratch.
I also had a experience of MRSA. I got very sick and it was later discovered it was from the infection. All the people who came into the hospital room had to gown up and wear masks. Because of the Mrsa.
Last year I got out of the hospital just before Christmas. The severe third degree burns are gross , and prone to infection easily. A lot of places there is no feeling , and loss of mobility.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
(male)

Rusty Pete HB User

G'day MSCAT40.
Did you have to wear a pressure garment on the 3rd degree burns? They are very uncomfortable when you first put them on, but after a while you get to like them, excepting for the itch. The itching is because your body is producing heaps of Histamine to help the healing process, Anti-Histamine tablets help--a bit.
I do hope you're recovering, and thank you for responding. Regards, Rusty Pete

Closed Thread