It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
(male)

oscarv818 HB User
help with second degree burn

hello, i burned my hand and my fore arm yesterday with boiling water from a car. a blister formed on my hand a few minuets later and not knowingly i popped it. so i have 3 inch space on my hand thats very pink and discharges some sort of fluid.

I went to the doctor 2 hours later after the burn on a walk in and the doctor checked it and applied some cream with tefla pads and wrapped it with guaze and she gave me a tetanus shot aswell.

Now today i checked and see the area looks pinker and the other part of my forearm is a dark color and has some swelling which wasnt there when i went to the doctor. what should i do? should i go to the doctor again? thanks!

Old 05-05-2011, 12:17 PM   #2
(male)

oscarv818 HB User
Re: help with second degree burn

bump , some help will be appreciated thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #3
(male)

oscarv818 HB User

thanks for the help

Old 05-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Wash it with soap and water, then paint the area with Betadine Liquid (povidine iodine) or Neosporin Ointment
Cover with a non stick dressing.

Repeat every day until healed.

If it is painful, take Advil

If it starts to look angry or infected, head back to the doctor.

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 05-09-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarv818 View Post
hello, i burned my hand and my fore arm yesterday with boiling water from a car. a blister formed on my hand a few minuets later and not knowingly i popped it. so i have 3 inch space on my hand thats very pink and discharges some sort of fluid.

I went to the doctor 2 hours later after the burn on a walk in and the doctor checked it and applied some cream with tefla pads and wrapped it with guaze and she gave me a tetanus shot aswell.

Now today i checked and see the area looks pinker and the other part of my forearm is a dark color and has some swelling which wasnt there when i went to the doctor. what should i do? should i go to the doctor again? thanks!
Swelling is normal after a second degree burn. Since you popped the blister already it will leak fluid the fluid is the way a burn protects itself from infection. I hope the Dr. gave you a prescription for the cream . It is a sulvidene cram and is white in color, the telfa pads prevent the burn from sticking to the burn area, and wrapping it with gauze is to proftect the burn from any infection. this is standard first aid that the DR, used on your burn.
If you did not get the burn cream, go back and ask for a precrription for it.
I know the DR. can give you a RX for the cream, i have had the same cream before. Helps with healing and infection. The telfa pads can be bought at any first aid section in a grocery store. you can also use an ace bandage to cover your arm. As long as u use to telfa pads first. The swelling is fluid build up , which means their is a possibiity more blisters could come . But try not to pop them, because after you do it will hurt even more. I hope the Dr. told you what kind of pain medicince to take, or wrote you out a RX . Burns are very painful, and need to be treated the right way, so it can heal and keep clean , no infection.
Follow my advice, I have a large precentage of burns on myself, some a lot worse the a second degree burn. I know what i am talking about. Take care of yourself.

Closed Thread