It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
(female)

Brokenankle HB User
Broken Ankle Cast Advice Please

I had emergency surgery to pin and plate a broken ankle three weeks ago in Venice and was put into an open short leg cast, with the advice that after 30 days I might be able to move to another type of cast or elastic boot. I travelled to England and two weeks after my operation went to the hospital there. They removed my staples, stretched the tendons which had shortened and put on an ordinary short leg cast, telling me I would need to keep this on for another four to five weeks. However, because I was flying to Cyprus (where I shall stay for around the next three months) they split the cast into two pieces and held it on with a bandage to allow room for swelling on the flight, advising me to have this cast replaced as soon as possible on arrival as I would need the full support of a closed cast. In Cyprus today they examined the wounds and were happy with them and I noticed that the swelling has reduced considerably. They put back on the back piece of the cast which had been split into two pieces and have just kept this on with a bandage, telling me to start moving my foot a little and take the what is more or less an open cast now like the one in Italy off to wash. I will return to the hospital again six weeks after the operation to have one pin removed. I feel worried by the conflicting advice about what kind of cast is necessary for the next 3 weeks -is it important for the joint to be held in place by the cast when the pins are also doing this? How crucial is a closed cast? I am a lot more comfortable in the heat and with the flexibility of the open cast, but feel less supported, does this matter as I am not bearing weight at all? Any information on the difference between an open and closed cast would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

james079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB Userjames079 HB User
Re: Broken Ankle Cast Advice Please

All sounds good. You are not yet weight bearing so a split cast would be appropriate. The initial full casts are really good for getting rid of the swelling. You in fact could almost certainly manage without a cast at all but in reality the chance of falling, twisting or inadvertently weght bearing makes it too dangerous to do without. The good thing about a split cast is you can get it off a few times a day and do your toe, foot and ankle exercises, all within the limits of pain. Also do knee extentions in sitting to keep your quadriceps in shape as much as possible.
Enjoy Cyprus, I had several friends "holiday there" about 57 years ago when the island was a colony and wanting to leave Britains embrace. Ask when you are there if people still talk of Archbishop Makarios and General Grivas. They really spoiled the holiday atmosphere for the young soldiers!!
James

Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
(female)

Brokenankle HB User
Re: Broken Ankle Cast Advice Please

Thank you very much for your response James, you've really put my mind at ease!

Makarios at least is still very much remembered here!

Have a lovely summer & thanks again for your advice.

Rosanna

Closed Thread