It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

MaireB HB User
Daughter with burn on hand

Just over three weeks ago my daughter (12) got a burn on her hand from a curling wand. The less said here about the irresponsibility of that situation the better.

I think it was a deep 2nd degree burn as she did not suffer a lot of pain and only told me about it 6 hours after. To me it looked like she had been sucking her hand. This discolouration was infact dead skin.

It was dressed for a week and a half and has heeled and is now undressed.

However it looks still very pink , although when pressed it goes white. I am keeping it protected from the sun and massaging it with emmollient.

I know I have to be patient but I really would like to know how it will look eventually.

Has anyone any similar experience they can relate?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User
Re: Daughter with burn on hand

The pink blanching area is the new skin. It is very fragile and will burn again easily. It will take awhile (months/years) and the area will turn to a lighter skin colored scar.

It sounds like it is healed at this point but will be fragile.

Pup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
(female)

MaireB HB User

Thank you for replying. Yes I am going to keep the area covered with sunblock fo a long while to protect it fro further damage. Would you recommend 6 months or more.

Luckily we live in Ireland where sun is not a huge problem!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

I don't know how large the area is but I would just make sure there is sunscreen on it when she spends a long time outdoors.

Ireland doesn't have much sun? That's why I fry here with my irish genes. Red headed/fair.

You don't have to get too worried if it is not a large area.

Pup

Old 07-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

The red skin that you see is her new skin that has grown . Make sure your daughter is very careful not to get any scratches on this new skin. Because this could result in further scarring. Have her wear gloves over her hand to protect from any sunlightdamage. one other thing that can happen is mobility problems. SHe nneds to open and close her hand to make sure the skin is not tight and she has full mobility. The skin can feel a little stiff at first on the hand after a burn. i do not know the size or if it is on the outside or inside of her hand. She will need to have TLC for about a year ...

Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #6
(female)

MaireB HB User

Thanks for replies. Luckily, I suppose, it is a small are on the back of her hand, maybe about 1cm X 1.5cm. She doesn't complain of tightness or not being able to move her hand but I will keep my eye on that.

I am just so devastated by the whole thing: firstly by my lack of attention on the day and secondly by the scar. She has such pretty hands.

Closed Thread