It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
(female)

Love2Run9485 HB User
Ointment or no ointment?

I burned the top of my wrist inside the oven and it seems to be a 2nd degree burn. Immediately afterwards, some browned skin slid off and the burn was white. After reading dependable sources online (and cooling the burn in cool water), I covered it with gauze. Everyone has been asking me what happened because of the gauze and asked if I used ointment. A lot of information I read has suggested NOT using ointment, as it may cause infection. Is this correct, or would it usually be recommended to use ointment?

My burn was open from the start and just looked white. It was past the point of a blister, but a day or so into the healing process, it developed a bubble and it no longer hurt at all. The bubble flattened in my sleep and now it looks like it's slowly scabbing over, but the center is very tender and stings, and is light with red specks. I have the most trouble when showering, as it's difficult to not get the burn wet and the water seems to soften the scab.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Ointment or no ointment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Run9485 View Post
I burned the top of my wrist inside the oven and it seems to be a 2nd degree burn. Immediately afterwards, some browned skin slid off and the burn was white. After reading dependable sources online (and cooling the burn in cool water), I covered it with gauze. Everyone has been asking me what happened because of the gauze and asked if I used ointment. A lot of information I read has suggested NOT using ointment, as it may cause infection. Is this correct, or would it usually be recommended to use ointment?

My burn was open from the start and just looked white. It was past the point of a blister, but a day or so into the healing process, it developed a bubble and it no longer hurt at all. The bubble flattened in my sleep and now it looks like it's slowly scabbing over, but the center is very tender and stings, and is light with red specks. I have the most trouble when showering, as it's difficult to not get the burn wet and the water seems to soften the scab.

Thanks in advance for any help!
This sounds lke a deep second degree burn. The bubble is a protector from infection. It is normal for the bubble to go down. After it does is when you need to be very cautious. I do not know how big your burn is? yo may consider going to the Dr. The Dr. will perscribe you a special burn cream. It is better to get the burn cream from your DR. because this will protect you from infection and speed up the healing process. You are correct by wrapping the area up, but you will need some burn cream that is applied first then a gauze pad then gauze and then a sport wrap. The burn cream will help when you change the bandage , because the burn tends to ooze making the gauze stick to the skin which is very painful. You don't want to pull away freshly healed skin. Keeping he burn area dry is very important . so it can heal better .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
(female)

Love2Run9485 HB User
Re: Ointment or no ointment?

Hi there and thank you for your reply! I haven't been very good about getting back on Healthboards much but the good news is that my burn is healing up very well! I kept an eye on it to see if it got any worse and then I would have gone to the doctor. The bubble popped in my sleep, but I continued to keep the burn covered to keep out debris and germs and it really helped it stay clean and not get infected. I did have trouble while showering and could feel it stinging at night when I was trying to sleep, but luckily I don't feel it much now. Even better, it never oozed at all and slowly developed scabbing around the edges and finally now at the middle. It's quite a small burn (just over an inch wide), so I'm sure that helps it heal quicker. I will be going on a small trip and will be at the beach during part of it, so I'll definitely be keeping it covered and dry. I hope I can find a way to enjoy the water!

Closed Thread