HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Burns & Injuries (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/burns-injuries/)
-   -   Is this a burn? (with picture) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/burns-injuries/863595-burn-picture.html)

oreocookie1 08-10-2011 07:50 AM

Is this a burn? (with picture)

1 Attachment(s)
ok i had a hiv scare recently but was told my test result was conclusive at 6 weeks negative.

about a month ago now, i was microwaving a curry meal from the microwaves at the 1000 watts (i think? anyway, the hottest setting) for about 3 minute. when i took it out, i stupidly dropped the food all over my hands which i ran over the tap immediately and treated.

apparently according to my mother, some food splashed on my arms, on the underside. I didn't notice at the time however, and didn't tend to it, but my mother flicked it off a bit later. it has left a burn. where the HIV comes into this, is that i was worried this pink mark in the picture was kaposi's sarcoma, which is a hiv/aids skin cancer.

The burn stung on my arm, as do most burns i believe? the burn concerned me so in the shower, i picked at it, concerned it was this kaposi's sarcoma, and the irritated skin peeled off, leaving a fresh raw layer of skin underneath. this scabbed over. the scab remained for about 2 weeks, then I peeled it off, which may of been a bit premature. (it did come off easily though)

now about a month down the line, i am still left with this pink mark on my arm, it is a really weird shape. It's shaped like the letter 'Y' which leads me to believe it was the food that caused it.

It's very small but still pink. is it a scar? or is it just taking longer to heal? is it a burn at all?

p.s where the skin is pinker, is where the scab came off

any guesses would be really helpful :)

mscat40 08-10-2011 11:55 AM

Re: Is this a burn? (with picture)

You were cleared for HIV which is great. With what you have described and what happened this is a burn. You have a very small scar now. This may go away all together but, could take several months to a few years. Try not to get that scar sunburned. If it does then the scar will be a bright red in color and take longer to heal and have a better chance at perm. scarring.

oreocookie1 08-10-2011 12:38 PM

ok so you saw the picture? and think it's a burn right? is there anything i can do to speed the process?

it's weird, the outer skin is slightly faded but the bit where the scab fell off is still pretty pink

pupcake 08-10-2011 03:06 PM

It is going to look that way for a long time (months) will gradually fade and will end up lighter than your skin tone.

Keep it moisturized, not much to do to "hurry it"

Pup

mscat40 08-10-2011 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=oreocookie1;4820136]ok so you saw the picture? and think it's a burn right? is there anything i can do to speed the process?

it's weird, the outer skin is slightly faded but the bit where the scab fell off is still pretty pink[/QUOTE]

Yes I saw the picture. Yes i do think it is a burn. At one time in my life i suffered extremely 2nd and 3rd degree burns, I had to have skin graphs and fight a serioius infection. I have serious scarring .
The outer skin has healed but you lost the scab so their was no protection anymore , that is why that area is still pink. If the scab stayed on then it would have healed faster . BUt , that is ok. That area is going to be sensitive to the light so be careful in the sun. Use a little lotion or moistuerizer but not roo much to irriatate the skin.