It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
(male)

oreocookie1 HB User
Is this a burn? (with picture)

ok i had a hiv scare recently but was told my test result was conclusive at 6 weeks negative.

about a month ago now, i was microwaving a curry meal from the microwaves at the 1000 watts (i think? anyway, the hottest setting) for about 3 minute. when i took it out, i stupidly dropped the food all over my hands which i ran over the tap immediately and treated.

apparently according to my mother, some food splashed on my arms, on the underside. I didn't notice at the time however, and didn't tend to it, but my mother flicked it off a bit later. it has left a burn. where the HIV comes into this, is that i was worried this pink mark in the picture was kaposi's sarcoma, which is a hiv/aids skin cancer.

The burn stung on my arm, as do most burns i believe? the burn concerned me so in the shower, i picked at it, concerned it was this kaposi's sarcoma, and the irritated skin peeled off, leaving a fresh raw layer of skin underneath. this scabbed over. the scab remained for about 2 weeks, then I peeled it off, which may of been a bit premature. (it did come off easily though)

now about a month down the line, i am still left with this pink mark on my arm, it is a really weird shape. It's shaped like the letter 'Y' which leads me to believe it was the food that caused it.

It's very small but still pink. is it a scar? or is it just taking longer to heal? is it a burn at all?

p.s where the skin is pinker, is where the scab came off

any guesses would be really helpful
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg mail.jpeg (15.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by oreocookie1; 08-10-2011 at 07:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Is this a burn? (with picture)

You were cleared for HIV which is great. With what you have described and what happened this is a burn. You have a very small scar now. This may go away all together but, could take several months to a few years. Try not to get that scar sunburned. If it does then the scar will be a bright red in color and take longer to heal and have a better chance at perm. scarring.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
(male)

oreocookie1 HB User

ok so you saw the picture? and think it's a burn right? is there anything i can do to speed the process?

it's weird, the outer skin is slightly faded but the bit where the scab fell off is still pretty pink

Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

pupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB Userpupcake HB User

It is going to look that way for a long time (months) will gradually fade and will end up lighter than your skin tone.

Keep it moisturized, not much to do to "hurry it"

Pup

Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreocookie1 View Post
ok so you saw the picture? and think it's a burn right? is there anything i can do to speed the process?

it's weird, the outer skin is slightly faded but the bit where the scab fell off is still pretty pink
Yes I saw the picture. Yes i do think it is a burn. At one time in my life i suffered extremely 2nd and 3rd degree burns, I had to have skin graphs and fight a serioius infection. I have serious scarring .
The outer skin has healed but you lost the scab so their was no protection anymore , that is why that area is still pink. If the scab stayed on then it would have healed faster . BUt , that is ok. That area is going to be sensitive to the light so be careful in the sun. Use a little lotion or moistuerizer but not roo much to irriatate the skin.

Closed Thread