It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
(male)

DMJacks HB User
external fixater

i didnt always have leg problems, but i have had them for the majority of my life though. The first accident happend when i was out side with my brothers whn my oldest brother Jason picked me up over his head. After walking around with me over his head atleast 6 feet of the ground, my twin brother kevin pushed Jason. Just my luck he droped me and i feel knees first on concreat. Hitting the ground so hard it shattered my whole knee, leaving a wide open gash with a stone lodgein it. This caused me to catch a bone infection making the bone in my right leg weak and fragile. Two breaks and three or four trial and error operations later, the doctors noticed my leg was curving out as it grew. To fix this my leg would have to be broken in three different places while being rotated slowly. Unfortunantly the equipment made for this kind of work was made for one leg problem or the other. I note that i needed both shaping and realigning work done. the doctors then designed an external fixater that could do both. Making this opeation thefirst of its kind. I would be the first test and without it i would never walk again. Today i can say the test was successful, it may have left me with permanent leg problems but i can walk and the only sergury i have left is one to remove screws in my left leg used to stop the growth in my left leg so that my right can catch up.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: external fixater

Wow, what a remarkable story. You were very brave, to try out this device for the first time. I'm so glad it worked, both for you and for other patients who might need it someday!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply