It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
(male)

Runninginjury HB User
Undiagnosed forefoot injury - please help

I was running "on my toes" last May and developed pain and swelling where my toes join my foot. It started off mild but became worse - I stopped running but then did calf raises to try to stay in shape but after just one set of calf raises my foot felt worse. After that, just walking on it made it worse and worse until I went onto crutches. After being off of it for abou 10 days it felt better and I walked again. About a month later after feeling normal I ran just about 200 yards to see how I was doing and it started getting worse again. Then, the more I walked on it the worse it became. I went back onto crutches but the swelling remained for weeks - I saw an orthopedist who obtained an MRI that was normal and strangely, I don't have tenderness on exam after being off of it for a while, so he thought it was some type of reflex sympathetic dystrophy and told me to walk on it and sent me to physical therapy to get me using it. I walked on it and sure enough the swelling I had cleared up but something stil didn't feel right in my forefoot - gradually it became painful again and grew worse and worse as I walked on it and I went back onto crutches in January of this year and have tried several times since then to walk on it again but it aches and doesn't feel like its ready to be walked on. I feel like I may have a plantar plate tear but I've seen several doctors who don't think this is the case (given the long time course, apparently normal MRI, and lack of point tenderness), they think that I have some sort of reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD). Just to me, the worsening is very much associated with use, which seems more consistent with a mechanical injury rather than RSD. Anyone have a similar story?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Undiagnosed forefoot injury - please help

Hi has the podiatrist been seen also?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #3
(male)

Runninginjury HB User

Yes, I saw the podiatrist as well. At first he thought it could be a tear of the plantar plate but now that it is going on this long he thinks it is probably RSD.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi One could get another opinion. Here is a link for RSD in case there is interest in the description:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004456/

Also one woman was in a car accident and her nerve grew back slowly over a period of months. If treated carefully and not reinjured but used moderately perhaps it might improve. I might try putting it in a bucket of Warm water at maybe 110 degrees fahreheit 3-4 minutes, and cold water 30 seconds and repeating this 4 times. I would end with cold and dry well and go to bed immediately. I would do this every evening for at least 10 days or so. I would keep the body well nourished with vegetables, fruits, grains and nuts, avoiding the meats junk foods and chemicals. Peace sjb

Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
(male)

Runninginjury HB User

Thank you very much. I will follow your advice and let you know how it does. Thanks again!

The following user gives a hug of support to Runninginjury:
sjb (05-31-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Runninginjury For This Useful Post:
sjb (05-31-2012)
Reply Reply