It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
(male)

Adventz HB User
"Compressed" Ribcage

Hey

Im a 19 year old man about 185 cm high and weighin about 62 kg.

I started to discover about 2 years ago, that my ribcage startet to fall in/being pushed in. At first it wasnt that much and it didnt bother my or gave me any problems, but what happened exactly is that 1 or 2 ribs, near sternum, starts to curve more inwards. This maybe happened 1 or 2 times a month, a random part of my ribs near the sternum is pressed a little inwards, and i notice it, by either feeling a slight pain or being able to see it/feel it. But now this have happened so much, that its starting to cause me trouble breathing and second part of it which is the biggest problem for me, it looks like i have no chest. I think about it every day, and it bothers me so much.

I've seen a doctor but he is just saying that the heart can pull the ribs in a little in that area, but the problem is that it is not only that area. It is the whole front of the chest being flattened out.

It is really bothering me, because i can find anyone else with this problem, no matter what i search for. And since my doctor isnt there for much help, im just stuck with my problem.

Could it be something with osteoporose, that causes the cartilage and ribs to being so weak that they can't keep the normal shape ?

Since i am so thin, and i never gain weight, could it be hyperthyroidism. I suffer from alot of the symptoms.

I also read that if you have hyperthyroidism it can maybe cause osteoporose.

And btw it is not Pectus excavatum.

Thanks in advance, hope that someone can help me or give me some information that might be helpfull.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
(female)

Rita27 HB User
Re: "Compressed" Ribcage

i am so sorry, I think you need tests--blood tests, maybe MRI on your back, neck, ribs--at least x-rays. I have bad rib pain, low back neck--it's Degenerative Disc Disease--very painful. Also leg and knee pain. But I am older. I have scoliosis. Do you have scoliosis?

do your legs hurt?

You are so young though. You need answers.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
(male)

Adventz HB User

Thx for your answer. I dont really have any pain in the bones, hips knees or anything. I dont have scoliosis i have lordosis or hyphosis.

My pain comes from the compression of my ribcage which sometimes gives me problem breathing. it feels like i have something very heavy on my ribcage, making my breath unnatural.

My mother has a even more compressed ribcage than me, though my father has a natural ribcage. So i guess my mother has the same problem, cause it doesnt look natural.

I can't find anyone else no matter what i search in danish or english, with the same problem. I can't be the only one, and no one would have that condition, and just ignore it or never knew of it.

Would be nice to see what the causes is, can be tons of things, but can't really get any info from others with similar problem, and im kinda stuck.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings Adventz! I am not promising any cure here but I would at least breathe as deeply as possible and keep as straight a posture as possible. I would eat a wide variety of fruits, grains, nuts, legumes, and vegetables especially green and orange vegetables daily and if any have been left out I would add them unless allergic to them. I would avoid vinegar, hot spices, food additives, and substances such as alcohol, and tobacco.

I would walk daily in sunshine and fresh air for a few minutes after meals and one hour after 2 pm or before 10 am.
I would drink water freely but at least 6.25 cups for every 100 pounds body weight daily.
I would rest or sleep 8 hours per night and try to keep a good schedule of both meal and sleep times.
Peace, sjb

Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
(male)

Adventz HB User

thx for your answer i am very active atm and do eat alot different food my. But the problem is getting worse and i am really depressed about it. Today i was lifting a table and the corner of the table struck my ribcage, resulting in alot of pain 1 hour later and 1 or 2 ribs was pressed even further in. It wasnt even that hard. To explain. if i wanted to be a boxer my ribcage would be flat like a pan cake.

The following user gives a hug of support to Adventz:
sjb (08-25-2012)
Old 08-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings of course a professional could be told about the injury in case it is broken. A broken rib can puncture a lung. If necessary a peice of broken rib could be removed. I am not sure there is a good cure though at this point. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 08-25-2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: additions made

Reply Reply