It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
(male)

soritong HB User
Did I tear my calf muscle?

Hi everyone. I'm at my wits end Googling around and you kind folk seem to be the most helpful around. Here's a bit of background:

About 5 days ago, I was playing sports when I felt a pop in my calf, almost as if someone hit me with a paintball gun or a big rock. I fell to the ground and couldn't walk.

Fast forward, I still can't walk on my injured leg. I can put a little pressure on it without any pain, but flexing my calf muscle is a sharp and intense pain. I can kind of shuffle if I turn my leg sideways. I've been icing it, keeping it elevated and taking NSAIDs but I don't seem to be making any progress.

There isn't any bruising but my entire leg seems to be swollen from my calf down to my foot. The skin is very tight around my calf and it is very sensitive to the touch. It's not hot but rather colder than usual. I am not able to flex my foot upwards but downwards is fine. I've been using crutches for these past few days.

Is this typical for a calf muscle tear? I'm starting to get worried that it's been a week and I can't walk; I see a lot of mentions of not walking normally, but I can't walk on it period. Could anyone who has experience something similar give me a bit of guidance on how long it took before you could kind of walk on your leg?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Did I tear my calf muscle?

Sounds like a tear of the muscle that pulls the foot up, the soleus. It's smaller than gastrocnemius, the main calf muscle, but it's still big and important.

I'd say you should get it examined by an orthopedic surgeon, and the sooner the better. If it is completely torn, it must be surgically repaired. If it's only partially torn, (grade 2 or 3 muscle pull) it might heal on its own, though it could take a while.

One more thing that you can try: Wrap the whole area firmly in a 6-inch wide ace bandage to press out the swelling. If it's that swollen, the injury isn't even getting enough circulation to start healing well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Greetings Soritong! Welcome to the General Healthboards, my sympathies. I hope the needed comfort is found. I might try ice for two days and then followed by heat and rest. A physiatrist (sports doctor) might also be visited for consultation if desired. Of course everyone makes their own health care decisions. Peace, sjb

Last edited by sjb; 08-16-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: disclaimer added

Old 12-19-2013, 02:22 PM   #4
(male)

shawnatron HB User

just wondering if you ever figured out what the problem was , as i read your post and have all the same symtoms/problems, i have not been able to put pressure on my foot for 2 weeks and am not able to flex my calf muscle

Old 08-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #5
(female)

andysgal HB User

Soritong, I have exactly what you described in your post. It happened last night while I was playing a game of Capture The Flag with neighbors. I'm very interested to know your outcome, and how you were able to recover. How long did it take? Did you have to see a doctor? Etc.

Thank you so much,
Susan

Reply Reply