It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Burns & Injuries Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
(male)

Knowknow HB User
Suffered hot coolant burn, need opinions

I am a mechanic and this past Friday I burned myself with 100+ degree coolant under pressure on my left wrist, part of the palm and between/back of my fingers. It happened before lunch and thought the pain would pass, but it was unbearable pain if I was not running cool water over my hand so I decided to go to the hospital. I got it looked at and the doc said 2nd degree burns on my wrist and palm, and 1st on my fingers and back of hand area. He recommended a tetnis shot since its been a while and pain killers. They applied cream and bandaged it up. During bandaging I was in excruciating pain(first time being exposed to air without running water on it) an was in pain for the next half hour or so till the pain killers kicked in. Yesterday I reapplied cream and it did not look too bad and pain is not that bad either unless I am touching the wound.. Today I checked out the wound and its starting to create those water filled blisters, but pain is not too bad unless I touch.

The doc said to take a week off.. Now I just feel kinda bad for missing work for such a silly wound. I just need to know if I should take the time off to let it heal or not? My line of work obviously I need two hands and they get beat up alot. With all these little water blisters on my hand I would most defiantly pop them all while working, and potentially get oil, dirt an grease in the wound, wearing gloves would lower the chances of this but would popping the blisters cause pain as well?

Sorry for the long write up, I just would really like to get an opinion on this, any questions please ask.

Last edited by Knowknow; 01-20-2013 at 02:38 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Knowknow:
sjb (04-07-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Suffered hot coolant burn, need opinions

Greetings! I want to say I am sorry all this has happened and hope that everything is better by now. Peace, sjb

Reply Reply