It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Bladder Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2003, 08:28 PM   #1

nycgal HB User
Question Bladder condition - Chronic Follicular Cystitis

After 15 years (I'm a 28 year old female), I was finally diganosed with Chronic Follicular Cystitis. It basically means that my bladder is always inflamed. It is probably very much like overactive bladder but this was my specific diagnosis after a painful bladder biopsy. No incontinence but I urinate anywhere from every 45 minutes to every 2 hours.

It could have been worsened by frequent bladder infections but I have had problems with frequent urination since I was 12 and didn't have my first bladder infection until my 20's.

I've seen many doctors and nobody has offered any help. Tried medication and treatments but relief is temporary.

Has anyone heard of this condition and if so - do you have any information?

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
HI nycgal,

It sounds like your condition could be managed or improved greatly by making a few lifestyle changes, if you are willing. For instance, there are many known bladder irritants that most people regularly consume that you may wish to try cutting out for awhile and see if it helps. These are:

Alcohol, black tea, coffee, sodas, citrus juices, chocolate, cayenne, and hot peppers. Also white sugar.

Cranberries contain substances that kill bacteria and make your bladder wall so slippery that any escaping bacteria can't latch on and thrive there. Unsweetened cranberry juice (or concentrate) is the most effective form. The sugar or corn syrup in cranberry cocktail-type juices and cran-apple juices can feed the infection.

You may also have a yeast infection which may be causing the condition. A good probiotic and a candida/yeast diet would help in that case. Lots of info is available on the net about this, I had to go through it myself...

There are also some herbs like Uva Ursi that may help.

Please check out this site for lots of further info:
[url="http://216.239.33.100/search?q=cache:gN4HLaiF5gsC:www.menopaus e-metamorphosis.com/An_Excerpt-120_Bladder_Infections.htm+known+bladder +irritants&hl=en&ie=UTF-8"]http://216.239.3 3.100/search?q=cache:gN4HLaiF5gsC:www.menopaus e-metamorphosis.com/An_Excerpt-120_Bladder_Infections.htm+known+bladder +irritants&hl=en&ie=UTF-8[/url]

It has great info on bladder conditions and how to treat them. Cheers,
Al

[This message has been edited by RageOfAngels (edited 05-04-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2003, 08:16 PM   #3
Inactive

carol2 HB User
I have never heard anything about the sugar in cranberry juice being bad for bladder infections. Or are you saying that it's not helpful after the infection is already there? (which I still have never heard of). In which case, nothing at all is going to help except antibiotics. Once an infection is established, no amount of juice or water in the world is going to get rid of it. Those are meant to 'prevent' the infections from occuring in the first place.

I've had quite a few doctors - and also many online sites - say that cranberry juice (of any kind) or cranberry pills are the best thing to help prevent an infection from starting, but nowhere does it state it should be unsweetened to work. Granted, the sugar content doesn't really help you in general but it's not something to be concerned with if someone wants to drink 16 oz. of it a day for the prevention of infections.

I do recall trying to find a cranberry juice that was unsweetened and couldn't, they all contain some amount of sugar. The only reason I wanted unsweetened - which is not the best tasting by far - is I don't like consuming alot of sugar in any form. But like I said, not only is it not very tasty from what I have read, I can't seem to find it, anyway. And besides, if something is that tart to the taste buds, one probably isn't going to drink it very much, which of course will be defeating the purpose of buying it in the first place....

Old 05-05-2003, 11:11 PM   #4

nycgal HB User
Thank you for the advice but I don't think a yeast infection would account for a diagnosis like this though it might cause frequent urination for some.
Also - I have had the problem for 15 years and was diagnosed once with a yeast infection which was treated effectively (I go to the gyno twice a year so it would have been detected). I have never once had coffee or tea in my life and about 2 sodas per year. I am also a high protein/low carb eater and never eat citrus as I know it irritates my bladder.
I eat some sugar occasionally but did a food elimination diet for 6 months once with no effect on my bladder. hmmmm . . . .
I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of this particular diagnosis. Two urologists have confirmed it and said it is not interstitial cystitis.

Closed Thread